ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers again? and thoughts/questions about a bowl game and the Karlaftis brothers.

Feb 7, 2007
Assuming the final cross conference game is played (big if with COVID), right now it appears Purdue would play Rutgers again. I think that is winnable as Purdue should have beaten Rutgers earlier this year. The NCAA has told the bowls that the minimum wins guideline does not apply this year. Do you think that, with a 3-4 record and a win over a now ranked Iowa team, that Purdue might be able to sneak into one of the bottom tier bowls?

Also, I have a concern regarding George and Yanni K. It appears likely that the Coaches/AD's will approve a one year exception to the current transfer rule which would mean anyone could transfer this year and play immediately next year. Let's say Yanni wants to play for a team that is a known winner (Wisconsin or Oregon) and goes there. What's to say that George won't be fed up with losing at Purdue and playing in a 3/4 defense and decides he wants to play one year with his brother. I live in FL so I have no insight into the Karlaftis family. For those of you that live in the Laf/W. Laf area and have a better grasp of their mindset, is this a notable possibility? Could we miss out on Yanni and then lose George?

As always, thanks for your feedback (even the snarky feedback).

Assuming the final cross conference game is played (big if with COVID), right now it appears Purdue would play Rutgers again. I think that is winnable as Purdue should have beaten Rutgers earlier this year. The NCAA has told the bowls that the minimum wins guideline does not apply this year. Do you think that, with a 3-4 record and a win over a now ranked Iowa team, that Purdue might be able to sneak into one of the bottom tier bowls?

Also, I have a concern regarding George and Yanni K. It appears likely that the Coaches/AD's will approve a one year exception to the current transfer rule which would mean anyone could transfer this year and play immediately next year. Let's say Yanni wants to play for a team that is a known winner (Wisconsin or Oregon) and goes there. What's to say that George won't be fed up with losing at Purdue and playing in a 3/4 defense and decides he wants to play one year with his brother. I live in FL so I have no insight into the Karlaftis family. For those of you that live in the Laf/W. Laf area and have a better grasp of their mindset, is this a notable possibility? Could we miss out on Yanni and then lose George?

Regarding the Karlaftis scenario, George seems to really like Purdue and has family ties to Purdue but the scenario you laid out doesn’t seem too far fetched. I have no real knowledge of anything but I get a feeling that Yanni probably doesn’t want to come to Purdue and with the change in defense I could see George not liking it so it’s not out of the realm of possibility with the transfer rule that they could play together somewhere else. I would think that without a doubt that any school that Yanni goes to would pick up George in a heartbeat

I would highly doubt any bowl game would select Purdue! Several bowl games have already canceled. And Purdue is not the greatest national tv draw and fans will likely be limited. I believe what is more likely is bowl games may not have to honor their. League alliances than a bowl selecting Purdue with a losing record.

the latest on Yanni is despite his family ties to Purdue he has not committed. One would think by now if he really wanted to come to Purdue he would have commited by now

What about the Rondale or George factor for a bowl game? Might be enticing to showcase a couple of “stars” on an otherwise disappointing team.

As for who we play in the Crossover game, isn't Rutgers going to finish 7th in the East with a loss? We should be better than 7th assuming Illinois doesn't beat Northwestern. Granted a lot of weird tiebreakers since there are different numbers of games played, but I was figuring us playing Michigan.

1. Rutgers? Who is saying Rutgers? All I've heard is that rematches will be avoided if possible. Most likely Purdue would get PSU or MSU. Moving the bucket game back a week has also been discussed as an option.

2. I am about as motivated to watch another Purdue game this year as the team is to play another game. Stick a fork in this thing and try again next year.

I would highly doubt any bowl game would select Purdue! Several bowl games have already canceled. And Purdue is not the greatest national tv draw and fans will likely be limited. I believe what is more likely is bowl games may not have to honor their. League alliances than a bowl selecting Purdue with a losing record.

the latest on Yanni is despite his family ties to Purdue he has not committed. One would think by now if he really wanted to come to Purdue he would have commited by now
Who says that he has not committed. He may not be, but he may be too. Rondale was committed before he announced. David Bell was committed before he announced. Maliq committed for a quite a while, before he announced. Maybe he wants to do it his way.

Reactions: Level 42
Assuminghe final cross conference game is played (big if with COVID), right now it appears Purdue would play Rutgers again. I think that is winnable as Purdue should have beaten Rutgers earlier this year. The NCAA has told the bowls that the minimum wins guideline does not apply this year. Do you think that, with a 3-4 record and a win over a now ranked Iowa team, that Purdue might be able to sneak into one of the bottom tier bowls?

Nope. Season's over. Hopefully Brohm will give back his remaining salary and move back to the minor league.

Nope. Season's over. Hopefully Brohm will give back his remaining salary and move back to the minor league.

We should have hired Les Miles.

He's got that Kansas program on a ROCKET SHIP (there's an old reference there).

(KU is 0-9)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand KU's final football game was mercifully canceled. That's too bad; he could have hit double digits.

(KU is 0-9)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand KU's final football game was mercifully canceled. That's too bad; he could have hit double digits.

At least Kansas isn't footing a $30mil bill over the next 6 years.

They also don’t get huge payouts like our conference does. I wonder how much IU will have to pony up to keep Allen.

More worried about keeping key assistants than Allen at this point. He's found his home.

It's amazing that in just a little over a year Allen has gone from "a high school coach" to one Purdue fans can't wait to see hired away.

• Haha
Reactions: Indy_Rider

(KU is 0-9)

Yep....Miles and the Kansas boys have faltered and the question is should he be retained. But, reading a couple of articles including this one, he's more respected than Mr. Brohm.

As for Mr. Brohm that you keep defending, I thought this was supposed to be his "Break out" season. Honestly, neither are much to write home about right now though Les has the 4th best Big 12 class coming in next year and the 46th overall while Brohm has the 86th best overall and six points behind IU....and dead last in the Big 10. I still believe Miles would have done a better job here, but that's pure speculation on my part. Brohm....dead last in recruiting in one of the top power conferences in the game.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: SKYDOG
'
More worried about keeping key assistants than Allen at this point. He's found his home.

It's amazing that in just a little over a year Allen has gone from "a high school coach" to one Purdue fans can't wait to see hired away.
Allen would bolt through a steel door to move to a real football job. But the real question is, like Lil' Arch, why was Allen not hired somewhere else?

They also don’t get huge payouts like our conference does. I wonder how much IU will have to pony up to keep Allen.

IU really lucked out. I doubt Allen leaves. The power programs look at him and definitely don’t see a sane person. And he’s probably the kind of guy who really would rather stay at a school where he can have mannerisms like Gary busey and it’s all good lol

'
Allen would bolt through a steel door to move to a real football job. But the real question is, like Lil' Arch, why was Allen not hired somewhere else?

You claiming he’d bolt for another job is a pretty good indication he won’t because you aren’t ever right about anything.

Yep....Miles and the Kansas boys have faltered and the question is should he be retained. But, reading a couple of articles including this one, he's more respected than Mr. Brohm.

As for Mr. Brohm that you keep defending, I thought this was supposed to be his "Break out" season. Honestly, neither are much to write home about right now though Les has the 4th best Big 12 class coming in next year and the 46th overall while Brohm has the 86th best overall and six points behind IU....and dead last in the Big 10. I still believe Miles would have done a better job here, but that's pure speculation on my part. Brohm....dead last in recruiting in one of the top power conferences in the game.

Well, there you have it. They have ... "faltered" ... at ZERO and NINE.

Les Miles is ... "more respected" ... than Brohm. According to you, of course. And that gets a coach a LONG, long way, having a coach's defender make the claim they're more ... "respected". (??!)

Yup.

LOL ... "Brohm that you keep defending..."

Yeah, help me find that one. I'd be interested in seeing that. Fact is, I don't defend coaches. Or Administrators. You can try to paint it as such, but if the effort to have a balanced, logical, thought out conversation about the state of the program is "defending" in your eyes, I would suggest the issue is on your end, not mine.

You've had an ax to grind about Brohm since day one. You've admitted as much. You're biased. You've never been interested in an honest evaluation and/or discussion since his hiring was announced.

That's okay, but for you to accuse me of "defending" him brings that spotlight directly back at you. It's not the defending him, it's the b*tching about him at every turn. That's not good.

You claiming he’d bolt for another job is a pretty good indication he won’t because you aren’t ever right about anything.
Okay Mo. Let's see...I was right about the Haze. I was right about Cheatin' Kelvin. I was right about Davis. I've been right about Lil' Arch. I've been right about Brohm so far. I'll be right about Little Tommy Allen just as I was his identical twin, Two Tone the Clapper.

Well, there you have it. They have ... "faltered" ... at ZERO and NINE.

Les Miles is ... "more respected" ... than Brohm. According to you, of course. And that gets a coach a LONG, long way, having a coach's defender make the claim they're more ... "respected". (??!)

Yup.

LOL ... "Brohm that you keep defending..."

Yeah, help me find that one. I'd be interested in seeing that. Fact is, I don't defend coaches. Or Administrators. You can try to paint it as such, but if the effort to have a balanced, logical, thought out conversation about the state of the program is "defending" in your eyes, I would suggest the issue is on your end, not mine.

You've had an ax to grind about Brohm since day one. You've admitted as much. You're biased. You've never been interested in an honest evaluation and/or discussion since his hiring was announced.

That's okay, but for you to accuse me of "defending" him brings that spotlight directly back at you. It's not the defending him, it's the b*tching about him at every turn. That's not good.
Come on man....I've had no ax to grind other than to predict he'd be a bad hire just as I predicted the Haze was a bad hire. I'm biased in the sense that there were others out there who could turn a program around, which Coach B hasn't done to this point in time. To not admit that he's a bad choice and so far a terrible coach at Purdue is sticking one's head in the sand.

I understand this is a strange year, but the talent SHOULD be here now to have more wins than losses. And yes, if you read the link, Les is rated much higher than Brohm and for a good reason. As for the use of the word faltered, that's exactly what they've done....same as Purdue.

As for you defending Coach B, you certainly have by your lack of questioning his results.

Reactions: Purdue85
Come on man....I've had no ax to grind other than to predict he'd be a bad hire just as I predicted the Haze was a bad hire. I'm biased in the sense that there were others out there who could turn a program around, which Coach B hasn't done to this point in time. To not admit that he's a bad choice and so far a terrible coach at Purdue is sticking one's head in the sand.

I understand this is a strange year, but the talent SHOULD be here now to have more wins than losses. And yes, if you read the link, Les is rated much higher than Brohm and for a good reason. As for the use of the word faltered, that's exactly what they've done....same as Purdue.

As for you defending Coach B, you certainly have by your lack of questioning his results.

No. You've ragged on him the whole way. Even when he came in and won immediately.

What the hell... I have to question his results to mollify you, that I'm not "defending" him?

How about we just have a rational discussion of what's happening, and why?

Why must I ... by your own admission ... "(question) his results" ... in order to qualify (in your world) as to NOT be defending him?

That's absurd, and illogical. And, biased.

"Come on man...."

Hey oh clueless one. You don’t know if Yanni has committed yet or not. He hasn’t made it public if he has. The kid wants to announce on signing day and that’s his right. This happens one time in each athletes life let him have his moment. If you hate Purdue so much why do you continue to come here ? At least the IU fans state they are IU fans. You clams to have allegedly gone to Purdue. Questionable based on your nasty attitude toward everything Purdue. You then come on here and spew nonsesne that most times is incorrect like this post.

Enough with that. You have no idea. None.
and neither do you. NONE !!

has yanni commited yet?

I'm waiting for an answer.

I stated the obvious. and the truth. he hasn't commited.

and I speculated that if he hasn't committed by now, he probably won't. I'm sorry that upsets you.

Hey oh clueless one. You don’t know if Yanni has committed yet or not. He hasn’t made it public if he has. The kid wants to announce on signing day and that’s his right. This happens one time in each athletes life let him have his moment. If you hate Purdue so much why do you continue to come here ? At least the IU fans state they are IU fans. You clams to have allegedly gone to Purdue. Questionable based on your nasty attitude toward everything Purdue. You then come on here and spew nonsesne that most times is incorrect like this post.

I never said Yanni said anything. Your lack of reading comprehension skills are showing. I don't know if he wants to announce it on signing day or not because he hasn't said it . others have.

and you post as if you know everything. I have a track record of my speculations being pretty accurate. I guess you never read my posts about hazell before his first game. or my predictions about brohm's first two seasons. or about nebraska beating purdue this year. I've been wrong a few times, but i've owned up to being wrong.

in the past, other players have announced when and where they will make their announcements. Many have said the will announce their decisions at certain games. yanni has said nothing. he hasn't given a date or a place or an event or anything. from past experience , that does not favor purdue.

We all knew when and where moore and carr would make their decision. we just didn't know what it would be . With yanni, no one knows. i'm not even sure he knows. So rather than saying because his family has ties to purdue , so must be a sure thing, I'll wait until he comes forward.

I'm not nasty towards purdue . i just have issues with people who claim they know everything when they don't know anything more than i know. so you tell me, what has yanni said publically about when he's going to announce his decision ! and You provide me a factual link, because I'm sorry, I can't trust your word. People lie these days and they believe others believe those lies. rather than bad mouthing others and name calling, how about you providing your own opinions and facts? how about you going out on a limb and have others telling you that you are a fool. When and where is yanni going to announce? i'm waiting for your response. I don't know. i do know it's rather late in the recruiting game. and historically that's not a good sign for purdue. We don't win those signing day battles. except for players like Beach

and YOU tell me, the guy who knows nothing what Bowl is even interested in Purdue! it's time to stick a sock in it. This season is over.

yanni has said nothing. he hasn't given a date or a place or an event or anything.

so you tell me, what has yanni said publically about when he's going to announce his decision ! and You provide me a factual link, because I'm sorry, I can't trust your word.

His Twitter has some info on there.

Specifically this tweet he retweeted.

There’s also this rivals article.

Reactions: JRowdy20
I never said Yanni said anything. Your lack of reading comprehension skills are showing. I don't know if he wants to announce it on signing day or not because he hasn't said it . others have.

and you post as if you know everything. I have a track record of my speculations being pretty accurate. I guess you never read my posts about hazell before his first game. or my predictions about brohm's first two seasons. or about nebraska beating purdue this year. I've been wrong a few times, but i've owned up to being wrong.

in the past, other players have announced when and where they will make their announcements. Many have said the will announce their decisions at certain games. yanni has said nothing. he hasn't given a date or a place or an event or anything. from past experience , that does not favor purdue.

We all knew when and where moore and carr would make their decision. we just didn't know what it would be . With yanni, no one knows. i'm not even sure he knows. So rather than saying because his family has ties to purdue , so must be a sure thing, I'll wait until he comes forward.

I'm not nasty towards purdue . i just have issues with people who claim they know everything when they don't know anything more than i know. so you tell me, what has yanni said publically about when he's going to announce his decision ! and You provide me a factual link, because I'm sorry, I can't trust your word. People lie these days and they believe others believe those lies. rather than bad mouthing others and name calling, how about you providing your own opinions and facts? how about you going out on a limb and have others telling you that you are a fool. When and where is yanni going to announce? i'm waiting for your response. I don't know. i do know it's rather late in the recruiting game. and historically that's not a good sign for purdue. We don't win those signing day battles. except for players like Beach

and YOU tell me, the guy who knows nothing what Bowl is even interested in Purdue! it's time to stick a sock in it. This season is over.
Well as I stated before Yanni has stated when he would announce. It’s been known for over a month. And again you don’t know if he’s already silently committed to Purdue , just like David Bell and others have done. Feel free to look at the post above for your proof. And also feel free to admit I was right and you were wrong. I’m Not going to call you a fool , because I’ll just let everyone else read your gibberish and make their own judgements on that . I will call you wrong again !!!! Oh and maybe you should work on your reading comprehension that you always seem to tell others to do.

Reactions: Boilerinspirit
Bowl game? Bowl game? We’re just lucky we’re not 0-6.

I thought we were very lucky to beat Iowa and Illinois and when Illinois was on the Come back I was like “oh”...

If Diaco and/or biagi returns brohm will have sealed his eventual firing and we will be back to square one in 3 years..

and neither do you. NONE !!

has yanni commited yet?

I'm waiting for an answer.

I stated the obvious. and the truth. he hasn't commited.

and I speculated that if he hasn't committed by now, he probably won't. I'm sorry that upsets you.
You're right. I don't have any clue. When have I professed that ANY recruit is coming to Purdue or not coming to Purdue?

What upsets me is your general attitude towards Purdue athletics and everyone here. But I'll stop with that or else I'll get accused of "attacking" you and then you'll go and cry about it just like every other time someone disagrees with your drivel.

You're right. I don't have any clue. When have I professed that ANY recruit is coming to Purdue or not coming to Purdue?

What upsets me is your general attitude towards Purdue athletics and everyone here. But I'll stop with that or else I'll get accused of "attacking" you and then you'll go and cry about it just like every other time someone disagrees with your drivel.
Amen !!! Well stated

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT