ADVERTISEMENT

Roster and Rumors for 2022 - 2023

Probably not. he's our strongest guy lb for lb I reckon. Seldom do big strong guys have lots of fast twitch muscle.
Enjoy him for what he brings.
I agree. Too bad he has the height of a 3 playing the 4 though. Hope there is at least an even split of minutes between he and Trey at the 4 because Trey is that good and 3 inches taller.

Last edited:
I am not sold that TKR is going to end up playing much 3... but we will see TKR playing the 3 before we will see Gillis playing the 3. The issue with Gillis playing the 3 is that he doesn't handle like a wing
Wish Gillis could handle like a 3 because a 6'6'' 4 is a little on the short side.

How did that work with Sasha and IT in the back half of the season? But goodness, they were "practicing" so well...

Practice isn't the same as playing in real games, period...
Nothing you typed changes the facts I stated. Not sure what you are arguing. Players who don't practice hard should play over those who do?

Although I understand your point, I don't see how redshirting helps unless a player is not ready physically. There's nothing that develops a player more than playing time in a real game.

Although I agree Villanova had seniors playing (and that certainly helps), their recruiting classes have been highly ranked. That's what makes the difference.

National recruiting rankings:
2017 28th
2018 9th
2019 5th
2020 107th (Only 1 player - high 4 star)
2021 23rd

Villanova starters:
Gillespie - 3 star .8812
Samuels - 4 star .98323
Slater - 4 star .9817
Dixon - 4 star .9730
Daniels - Tulane transfer

Key reserves:
Patterson - 4 star .9840
You realize that one or two of those players red-shirted, right? I know for sure Dixon did. Villanova red shirts on a situational basis to the benefit of both the player and the team. Thanks for proving my point.

I might add that real development does not happen in games as mcuh as you think. Real development happens in practice where coaches can stop the action and correct the play. Red shirt kids practice. Ergo, red shirting develops players.

:cool:

You realize that one or two of those players red-shirted, right? I know for sure Dixon did. Villanova red shirts on a situational basis to the benefit of both the player and the team. Thanks for proving my point.

I might add that real development does not happen in games as mcuh as you think. Real development happens in practice where coaches can stop the action and correct the play. Red shirt kids practice. Ergo, red shirting develops players.

Coaches have always said that players get their biggest jump in development during the off-season, not games. They are given specific drills and work-outs to improve their weaknesses and make their strengths even stronger. Painter is given much credit for identifying and developing talent. It may be his greatest talent. It's always fascinating to see fans who think they would be better at it than Painter.

Nothing you typed changes the facts I stated. Not sure what you are arguing. Players who don't practice hard should play over those who do?
No, players who perform in practice where it doesn't translate to game time situations (Sasha and IT) are what I'm talking about...

Got it. Purdue has had 4 star players like Villanova...puhlease...

If TKR plays the three, here is a list of our guys assuming we get at least 1 transfer or Hunter returns:

Backcourt:
  1. TKR
  2. Smith
  3. Morton
  4. Loyer
  5. Newman
  6. Waddell
  7. Heide
  8. Transfer/Hunter
Frontcourt:
  1. Edey
  2. Furst
  3. Gillis
  4. Berg

Now pick an 8 man rotation, because that's what its going to be with Painter or nearly any other coach. Might play a ninth with foul trouble. We all love our guys but Painter is going to have to choose who will play and some of these guys will be left playing a few minutes at the end of blowouts. If Hunter or Pack are on the team, my guess is they are in the rotation. Edey and Furst probably are as well. In my mind the rest is probably a crap shoot. I would like to put Gillis in as a sure thing but if TKR can't play the three, its possible that TKR has a higher ceiling and could take Gillis' minutes at the four. As far as the rest of the backcourt goes in my mind its wide open.

If TKR plays the three, here is a list of our guys assuming we get at least 1 transfer or Hunter returns:

Backcourt:
  1. TKR
  2. Smith
  3. Morton
  4. Loyer
  5. Newman
  6. Waddell
  7. Heide
  8. Transfer/Hunter
Frontcourt:
  1. Edey
  2. Furst
  3. Gillis
  4. Berg

Now pick an 8 man rotation, because that's what its going to be with Painter or nearly any other coach. Might play a ninth with foul trouble. We all love our guys but Painter is going to have to choose who will play and some of these guys will be left playing a few minutes at the end of blowouts. If Hunter or Pack are on the team, my guess is they are in the rotation. Edey and Furst probably are as well. In my mind the rest is probably a crap shoot. I would like to put Gillis in as a sure thing but if TKR can't play the three, its possible that TKR has a higher ceiling and could take Gillis' minutes at the four. As far as the rest of the backcourt goes in my mind its wide open.
If Hunter and pack are on the team next year, you can bank on both of them playing 30 minutes a game. CMP has already shown that he likes Hunter on the floor and Pack isn't going anywhere to sit the bench.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

Backcourt:
  1. TKR
  2. Smith
  3. Morton
  4. Loyer
  5. Newman
  6. Waddell
  7. Heide
  8. Transfer/Hunter
Frontcourt:
  1. Edey
  2. Furst
  3. Gillis
  4. Berg

Backcourt:
?. PACK?
1. TKR
2. Morton
3. Loyer
4. Newman/Transfer/Hunter
5. Waddell
6. Heide
7 Smith

Frontcourt:
  1. Edey
  2. Furst
  3. Gillis
  4. Berg

Heide and Loyer are four stars, per rivals. Berg should be if he had been in the American high school system. What’s that got todo with redshirting?
Villanova had 3 very high four star players and a high 3 star in their starting 5 along with a high level transfer from Tulane. Patterson, who comes off the bench is a VERY high 4 star player. My point is that Villanova made it that far because of their talent level, not the fact that any of them redshirted...

Villanova had 3 very high four star players and a high 3 star in their starting 5 along with a high level transfer from Tulane. Patterson, who comes off the bench is a VERY high 4 star player. My point is that Villanova made it that far because of their talent level, not the fact that any of them redshirted...
There is a major difference across the 4 star world. Usually 1-25 get 5 stars then 26-150 (?) are 4 stars. That is a wide standard deviation.

The second title won by Jay Wright featured Omari Spellman who was a redshirt freshman.

Reactions: purduepat1969

Backcourt:
  1. TKR
  2. Smith
  3. Morton
  4. Loyer
  5. Newman
  6. Waddell
  7. Heide
  8. Transfer/Hunter
Frontcourt:
  1. Edey
  2. Furst
  3. Gillis
  4. Berg

I wouldn't be surprised if someone red shirted even though I don’t think shirting a guy is worth it anymore with the transfer rules unless the guy is injured. Purdues going to have plenty of guys to choose from next year so don’t get stuck playing the same old rotation game in and game out if something isn’t working change it up!

There is a major difference across the 4 star world. Usually 1-25 get 5 stars then 26-150 (?) are 4 stars. That is a wide standard deviation.
The second title won by Jay Wright featured Omari Spellman who was a redshirt freshman.
And if I remember correctly the only reason spellman redshirted was due to some circumstance out of his control that prevented him from playing as a freshman:

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
And if I remember correctly the only reason spellman redshirted was due to some circumstance out of his control that prevented him from playing as a freshman:

Yes - he was a partial academic qualifier. He had completed his core high school work, but the NCAA ruled he was ineligible to compete his first year because it was completed after his original high school class graduated. Villanova appealed but lost, so Spellman was forced to redshirt his first year.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Yes - he was a partial academic qualifier. He had completed his core high school work, but the NCAA ruled he was ineligible to compete his first year because it was completed after his original high school class graduated. Villanova appealed but lost, so Spellman was forced to redshirt his first year.
Yet Javonte Smart, a kid the NCAA KNEW took money from Wade to sign with LSU, didn’t miss a game in 3 years.

I feel that. It needs to change in 2023. Purdue has other players with the size to play the 4. Gillis is solid for sure, still holding out hope that he can be a 3 because 6'6'' is not a PF.
No. You're getting obsessed with numbers. Height doesn't get you a rebound very often. Determination, boxing out, strength, etc
Charles Barkley was one of the best rebounders of all time. Listed at 6'6", but not that tall. ;)

WTF is a "very high 4 star" and "high" 3 star????????? "VERY" high 4 star (but not high enough to be a 5?) huh
phhhhhhhhhhhhhhttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (razzberry)
What a load.

Reactions: Level 42
WTF is a "very high 4 star" and "high" 3 star????????? "VERY" high 4 star (but not high enough to be a 5?) huh
phhhhhhhhhhhhhhttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (razzberry)
What a load.
Look at my previous reply to mathboy and you'll see me quote the 247 ratings. Samuels was a top 50 player. That's the definition of a "very high 4 star". When was the last time we had multiple top 50 players like Villanova?

So is that still a "load"?

Villanova starters:
Gillespie - 3 star .8812
Samuels - 4 star .98323
Slater - 4 star .9817
Dixon - 4 star .9730

Key reserves:
Patterson - 4 star .9840

No. You're getting obsessed with numbers. Height doesn't get you a rebound very often. Determination, boxing out, strength, etc
Charles Barkley was one of the best rebounders of all time. Listed at 6'6", but not that tall. ;)
And Rodman was 6’-7”… Wes Unseld 6’-6”… the great ones have a knack for knowing where the ball is going, the quickness to get to that spot, and then knowing exactly when to jump to “high point” it.

And then the strength/determination to come down with it.

David Bell is that sort of guy in football.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Look at my previous reply to mathboy and you'll see me quote the 247 ratings. Samuels was a top 50 player. That's the definition of a "very high 4 star". When was the last time we had multiple top 50 players like Villanova?

So is that still a "load"?

Villanova starters:
Gillespie - 3 star .8812
Samuels - 4 star .98323
Slater - 4 star .9817
Dixon - 4 star .9730

Key reserves:
Patterson - 4 star .9840
I agree that Villanova has recruited some very good players. I would add that they have used the red shirt process to team build and develop players. That red shirt process Jay Wright uses is Painter’s model.

No, we don’t recruit at the Villanova level yet. However, we can still use the red shirt to even out classes, develop players, and cover injuries. You got down this path of how many stars Villanova recruits, which is tangential to the red shirt discussion at best. My point with bringing Villanova into the discussion was to point out how useful the process has been to their very successful program.

We have one other factor that affects our red shirt/fifth year players. Our recruiting has taken a jump forward. Some of the kids coming in are better than the kids we celebrated a couple years ago, and are pushing the older players out of the line up. IT is a good example of this. I recall this board being all excited about him coming in. He was a true PG and supposedly better than his older brother. Well, once on court we saw some short comings and we are now recruiting over him, in some respects. This improvement in recruiting masks the benefits of using the red shirt to improve incoming high school players.

Essentially confirms Newman is staying for next season

cheers-frank-sinatra.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT