ADVERTISEMENT

Roster and Rumors for 2022 - 2023

Wish we knew something about how Pack's visit today went. Anyone hear anything?
If he did commit, when would he? Curious how many other teams he is visiting too.
Well, there’s a thread on the pay board that says he’s currently still on campus. Whatever that may mean.

He entered his name into the nba draft this year he may play no years.
As it stands, if you have any NBA aspirations and even the slightest of actual opportunity, you might as well declare...no harm in doing it.

I would be shocked if Edey does not declare.

Timme declared...he is projected to go 55th. Jackson-Davis will declare. I would expect Cockburn to declare.

Tons of guys will declare and return. Some will declare and not return, and, it won't even be because they got positive feedback regarding their draft status (like Nick Ward).

Pack declared, but, the chances of not returning are incredibly slim...thus why he is in West Lafayette today. He has 3 years of remaining eligibility if he wished to use them...hard to see him not using at least one of those...maybe two...remotely possible that he uses all 3.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Sasha is an exception, not the rule. And you can't yet say what Gillis will do. Why don't you look back at the redshirts that have occurred over the past 5 to 7 years and tell me how many of those have worked out that way? How did it work out for Haarms and Wheeler?

And honestly, with the transfer rules, how many 5th year players you think any program is realistically going to see?
This is like a broken record. The same thing was said about Sasha before he played his fifth year. Haarms transferred mid year after he was ruled ineligible to continue at Sunrise Christian, he wasn’t a redshirt. Wheeler had no chance to play as a true freshman and would have stayed for a fifth year had he not been recruited over. Sasha was first guy who probably could have played as a freshman but redshirted because Painter saw him as more valuable as a fifth year. The guys you referenced prior were all fringe guys.

This has all been covered here many times. I guess you can regurgitate the same line that’s already being disproved. Just be sure to keep it ready for next year too when Mason is about to start his fifth year so you can call him an exception as well.

As it stands, if you have any NBA aspirations and even the slightest of actual opportunity, you might as well declare...no harm in doing it.

I would be shocked if Edey does not declare.

Timme declared...he is projected to go 55th. Jackson-Davis will declare. I would expect Cockburn to declare.

Tons of guys will declare and return. Some will declare and not return, and, it won't even be because they got positive feedback regarding their draft status (like Nick Ward).

Pack declared, but, the chances of not returning are incredibly slim...thus why he is in West Lafayette today. He has 3 years of remaining eligibility if he wished to use them...hard to see him not using at least one of those...maybe two...remotely possible that he uses all 3.
I agree it is likely he does at least one. But you can only go in a number of times and pull out (yes that’s what she said).

Reactions: DAG10
This is like a broken record. The same thing was said about Sasha before he played his fifth year. Haarms transferred mid year after he was ruled ineligible to continue at Sunrise Christian, he wasn’t a redshirt. Wheeler had no chance to play as a true freshman and would have stayed for a fifth year had he not been recruited over. Sasha was first guy who probably could have played as a freshman but redshirted because Painter saw him as more valuable as a fifth year. The guys you referenced prior were all fringe guys.

This has all been covered here many times. I guess you can regurgitate the same line that’s already being disproved. Just be sure to keep it ready for next year too when Mason is about to start his fifth year so you can call him an exception as well.
Gillis will be in his 4th year.

Sasha was a fringe recruit...offered only when an extra scholarship became available...had no other high-major offers...rated in the mid 200s I believe...so, not even close to the same with respect to guys like Newman or Kaufman-Renn...or Loyer...or really even Smith...those guys are not fringe guys.

Purdue loves the "developmental program" label, and, there is something to be said for developing guys certainly...but, that label stemmed largely from taking guys and redshirting them and bringing them along...not the same today, even more so with the portal, never mind the fact that Purdue is not legitimately recruiting projects or developmental guys (at least not with any regularity or by plan).

Haarms did redshirt...he was eligible to play when he arrived, but, deemed not ready. Wheeler was recruited over...just as other guys that have been/are/will redshirt(ed) stand to be...which is why it makes less sense to plan for a 5th year, much less count on it, especially with talented guys the likes of which Purdue has generally recruited...and, again, more so with the transfer portal...just the addition of Pack if Purdue does indeed land him complicates things.

Top 100 guys are not going to other major programs and redshirting...and, few likely have any interest in doing so...again, the idea that Purdue is on to something or discovered something that only applies or will work there is pretty difficult for me to believe.

Sasha was a fringe recruit...offered only when an extra scholarship became available...had no other high-major offers...rated in the mid 200s I believe...so, not even close to the same with respect to guys like Newman or Kaufman-Renn...or Loyer...or really even Smith...those guys are not fringe guys.

Purdue loves the "developmental program" label, and, there is something to be said for developing guys certainly...but, that label stemmed largely from taking guys and redshirting them and bringing them along...not the same today, even more so with the portal, never mind the fact that Purdue is not legitimately recruiting projects or developmental guys (at least not with any regularity or by plan).

Haarms did redshirt...he was eligible to play when he arrived, but, deemed not ready. Wheeler was recruited over...just as other guys that have been/are/will redshirt(ed) stand to be...which is why it makes less sense to plan for a 5th year, much less count on it, especially with talented guys the likes of which Purdue has generally recruited...and, again, more so with the transfer portal...just the addition of Pack if Purdue does indeed land him complicates things.

Top 100 guys are not going to other major programs and redshirting...and, few likely have any interest in doing so...again, the idea that Purdue is on to something or discovered something that only applies or will work there is pretty difficult for me to believe.
Painter really wanted Sasha but you’re right, MP did not have a scholarship until the last minute. Different than a fringe recruit, IMO. Haarms literally would have been coming in unplanned in January, him playing year one was never a consideration. Agree that Wheeler got recruited over.

I’m not sure I understand the point you’re trying to make. Yes, Purdue is inherently a developmental program as they rarely land five stars. I’m not arguing that redshirting top 100 players should be a common practice. OP has been posting for years that redshirting is a waste. It’s clearly not in some situations as illustrated by Sasha and likely to be further shown by Mason and possibly by Brandon.

I definitely wish Kaufman had played last year because I think he would have really raised the team's ceiling as a potential first round pick, and I don't see how he possibly stays for 5 years, but DeAndre Hunter and Mikal Bridges were redshirted 4s that played on championship teams and went in the lottery. Wright and Bennett are decent coaches. I'm sure he would have played if not for the injury, but it's hard to get consistent minutes on a top-10 team as a true freshman. I wonder if the decision could have had anything to do with his personality and confidence level. With a player like Lander, I think we saw that a highly-rated player who is used to dominating can take a serious step back when they suddenly turn into a below average player, and maybe Kaufman would have had a rough start hopping in mid-season after missed time.

I definitely wish Kaufman had played last year because I think he would have really raised the team's ceiling as a potential first round pick, and I don't see how he possibly stays for 5 years, but DeAndre Hunter and Mikal Bridges were redshirted 4s that played on championship teams and went in the lottery. Wright and Bennett are decent coaches. I'm sure he would have played if not for the injury, but it's hard to get consistent minutes on a top-10 team as a true freshman. I wonder if the decision could have had anything to do with his personality and confidence level. With a player like Lander, I think we saw that a highly-rated player who is used to dominating can take a serious step back when they suddenly turn into a below average player, and maybe Kaufman would have had a rough start hopping in mid-season after missed time.
Comment from the coaching staff was his biggest strength was his ability to go get a bucket. That could be a huge asset next season but this last year there were already a lot of mouths to feed.

Reactions: Schnelk

That’s a bit of a mischaracterization on the Haarms’ part. He enrolled at Purdue for the spring semester and his only role on the team was spectator, and at some point after he came on campus Purdue learned his eligibility would start that year. He would have had to suit up well into the season after not even practicing with the team. No one would lose a season of eligibility in that situation regardless of how ready they are.

With the transfer rules its hard to project what your roster will look like 4 or 5 years out.

When Newman redshirted no one could have predicted what Purdue's roster would look like next year let alone his 5th year. Purdue is currently in the market for 1 or 2 transfers. Smith, Loyer, Heide, Wadell, Colvin and Gibbs weren't on anyone's radar at the time. IT and Ivey are now gone. That leaves Morton,(already committed when Newman redshirted) as the only guard who we could have reasonably predicted would have been on Purdue's roster in 2022-2023 or 2023-2024 when the decision was made for Newman to redshirt.

Not picking on Newman, just using him as an example. The funny thing is, we really don't know what to expect from Newman next year, four years into his time at Purdue,

Reactions: POTFHBTFU

The Sasha thing was kind of a no brainer. Almost like Waddell this year. I believe we already had Cline and Mathias playing his role. We also had Edwards, Eastern and PJ at the time. No way he would have ever seen the floor as a freshmen.

The Sasha thing was kind of a no brainer. Almost like Waddell this year. I believe we already had Cline and Mathias playing his role. We also had Edwards, Eastern and PJ at the time. No way he would have ever seen the floor as a freshmen.
Can we look for scrappy guys who can also hit a pull up jumper and post up a smaller man?

Reactions: jtanoos1
You are way over estimating Kaufman's talent, it would be a longshot that he leaves early for the NBA. He is a real nice player, but not that kind of talent.

31 Games played17.5 per game43.3 Shooting %78.3FT percentage42.73 point %2+ to 1 Assist to TO %
If Newman had done that folks would be spitting their Maker's Mark out screaming how good he was.
What are his stats in B10, BTT and NCAA?

You know, those pre-season performances by IU allowed Purdue to have the record they had. and if you want to take the time to look instead of hating IT, he helped win a few games during the regular season. Those stats weren't just accomplished in a few games.
No one is "hating" or "bashing" IT. Providing an opinion (which is actually more factual because it's backed up by statistics) is not hating someone.
Is Purdue "hating" a player when he has his end of the season sit down and tells him that it's going to be really tough to find minutes next year (essentially telling him: Your skills are not good enough)? Then, said player decides to transfer?

My reference was to Newman. You know, since he sat on the bench for 2 months while Thompson did absolutely nothing with his minutes. But I'm sure he and Sasha practiced well and deserved to play...

Then there's TKR. We'll never know because he redshirted...
Understood and obviously completely your right as a fan to second guess, particularly when the end result was lacking. I don’t think Sasha playing over Brandon was the issue this year but that’s obviously just my opinion. Not sure I agree with your root cause analysis but agree that this wasn’t one of MP’s better coaching jobs, was not able to get the team to consistently but in to what he wanted.

Lost in this red shirt discussion is the whole concept of taking a top 150 guy and using his red shirt year to coach up his playing ability to match those of top 100 guys. It works, but those players do have lower ceiling than a top 50 type player. Purdue doesn’t get in the running for many of those top 50 guys, so red shirting is a strategy to field a competitive team. IIRC, Villanova does a lot of that type of team building. They get old and stay old.

You can’t afford to red shirt every freshman, but done on a situational basis, it really benefits the player and the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtanoos1
Lost in this red shirt discussion is the whole concept of taking a top 150 guy and using his red shirt year to coach up his playing ability to match those of top 100 guys. It works, but those players do have slower ceiling than a top 50 type player. Purdue doesn’t get in the running for many of those top 50 guys, so red shirting is a strategy to field a competitive team. IIRC, Villanova does a lot of that type of team building. They get old and stay old.

You can’t afford to red shirt every freshman, but done on a situational basis, it really benefits the player and the team.
I don’t know that the point is lost but you did a really nice job of articulating it. Done well it provides upside with little or no cost.

If you're going to disprove me, then please cite the 5th year players who had meaningful playing time in the last 5 to 7 years. But you won't because they're the exception and not the rule.

And my point stands that you're likely not going to see many 5th year seniors playing at the same school due to transfers.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Okay, he did very little. Had a really nice game @ Iowa, and was a good shooter for this team, but you can't be rolling out guys like IT and expect to make deep runs in March.
IT was not going to get you meaningful points every night, steals and pressure in the ball was not his forte and bigger more physical guards abused him....
I'm not knocking on him but it was what it was....

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerDeac
Lost in this red shirt discussion is the whole concept of taking a top 150 guy and using his red shirt year to coach up his playing ability to match those of top 100 guys. It works, but those players do have lower ceiling than a top 50 type player. Purdue doesn’t get in the running for many of those top 50 guys, so red shirting is a strategy to field a competitive team. IIRC, Villanova does a lot of that type of team building. They get old and stay old.

Although I understand your point, I don't see how redshirting helps unless a player is not ready physically. There's nothing that develops a player more than playing time in a real game.

Although I agree Villanova had seniors playing (and that certainly helps), their recruiting classes have been highly ranked. That's what makes the difference.

National recruiting rankings:
2017 28th
2018 9th
2019 5th
2020 107th (Only 1 player - high 4 star)
2021 23rd

Villanova starters:
Gillespie - 3 star .8812
Samuels - 4 star .98323
Slater - 4 star .9817
Dixon - 4 star .9730
Daniels - Tulane transfer

Key reserves:
Patterson - 4 star .9840

Although I understand your point, I don't see how redshirting helps unless a player is not ready physically. There's nothing that develops a player more than playing time in a real game.

Although I agree Villanova had seniors playing (and that certainly helps), their recruiting classes have been highly ranked. That's what makes the difference.

National recruiting rankings:
2017 28th
2018 9th
2019 5th
2020 107th (Only 1 player - high 4 star)
2021 23rd

Villanova starters:
Gillespie - 3 star .8812
Samuels - 4 star .98323
Slater - 4 star .9817
Dixon - 4 star .9730
Daniels - Tulane transfer

Key reserves:
Patterson - 4 star .9840
Jay Wright can flat out coach. You can see where the trend has been going for years. It's a guard oriented game and we made our deepest run with a great guard.

I hope CMP goes after multiple guards. I like EHJ but we need an aggressive guard with a good dribble drive and finish.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Once Big Ten season started, IT did very little. He played more minutes than his production/performance dictated that he should.
No. He played more minutes than SOME FANS thought he should.
He played the exact amount of minutes his COACHES thought he should.
For ****S SAKE HE"S GONE. GIVE IT A ****ING REST.

Please root for iu.

Or anyone else.

No one is "hating" or "bashing" IT. Providing an opinion (which is actually more factual because it's backed up by statistics) is not hating someone.
Is Purdue "hating" a player when he has his end of the season sit down and tells him that it's going to be really tough to find minutes next year (essentially telling him: Your skills are not good enough)? Then, said player decides to transfer?
I don’t think IT was Painted Over, Paint-Peeled, Paint-Thinned, or whatever other term we want to use. He put his name in the portal 2 days after the last game. I doubt they had their post season chat yet.

Reactions: DAG10 and BBG
If you're going to disprove me, then please cite the 5th year players who had meaningful playing time in the last 5 to 7 years. But you won't because they're the exception and not the rule.

And my point stands that you're likely not going to see many 5th year seniors playing at the same school due to transfers.
Please cite me the player that harmed the program by redshirting? You are looking at this completely wrong. It's a case by case basis. Because Smotherman & Weatherford weren't needed after they redshirted, is irrelevant to whether you redshirt a future player.

Just a few years ago the team could've really used a 5th year of Ryan Cline. He would've been a lot more valuable to a team that year, instead of the limited minutes he got as a freshman. Sasha was more valuable to the team this year than he would've been as a freshman.

Really not difficult concepts to understand. Football it's just accepted it makes sense. For whatever reason in basketball it becomes a big debate everytime someone is redshirted.

Reactions: Bippus33 and BBG
Please cite me the player that harmed the program by redshirting? You are looking at this completely wrong. It's a case by case basis. Because Smotherman & Weatherford weren't needed after they redshirted, is irrelevant to whether you redshirt a future player.

Just a few years ago the team could've really used a 5th year of Ryan Cline. He would've been a lot more valuable to a team that year, instead of the limited minutes he got as a freshman. Sasha was more valuable to the team this year than he would've been as a freshman.

Really not difficult concepts to understand. Football it's just accepted it makes sense. For whatever reason in basketball it becomes a big debate everytime someone is redshirted.
Where did I say any player harmed the program by redshirting? I didn't.

I don't agree with redshirting talent. It very rarely, if ever, works out. And with the current transfer rules, you're rarely going to get 5th year. All you're doing is wasting valuable time that player could get in game time situations that can't be simulated in practice.

I guess we'll see how Furst has developed with real minutes vs TKR next year...

Reactions: DAG10

If you are gambling on guys, sure it makes sense...nothing to lose...but, if it was a solid plan with guys that can play, it would not be unique to Purdue, never mind as unique.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT