ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue recruiting Report: Myles Colvin vs. Scecina

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
INDIANAPOLIS — Tonight, after the Crossroads Classic, I shot over to Scecina, where Heritage Christian won its second game of the weekend after an 0-4 start.

Purdue commitment Myles Colvin finished with 28 points despite some modest foul trouble. Lots of the free throws, the last four of which I left off this video, just to spare you the tedium.

Anyway, I like Colvin more and more every time I see him — I think he's a legit top-50, top-75 sort of talent and a kid with a chance to play basketball for a long, long time — but this high school basketball environment he's in is hardly relevant context to what he'll be in college.

Colvin's an athlete who can shake people one on one, post or body up smaller guys and really shoot the ball from three, but I think — I know — that all of his skills will be amplified when he's surrounded by players or put in a system that will provide him space, and playing a more up-tempo pass-ahead sort of game.

He can really iso people and create for himself or get downhill into the lane, but again, that's easier when a defense is spread out. Purdue will put shooters around him, space the floor, generate angles for him and that will bring out his skills even more. Colvin was not playing against athletic peers tonight, but he did dribble past people often and make plays. He also physically worked over people with the ball in his hands at times, too, as Heritage Christian gave him the ball at the elbow and just let him turn and drive.

He is better suited for man defense too as opposed to the zone Heritage High School plays. He will not be playing zone at Purdue.

Colvin was good tonight. You would like to see the best and most talented kid on the floor just take a game over at times, but he did sort of do that late in the third quarter, though he did it with rebounds when his team needed rebounds and by getting to the foul line. Not the most exciting stuff, but he helped shake Scecina off.

It's good to see Heritage Christian start to get some wins. It was also good to see Heritage Christian play some bigger schools early this season (Columbus North, LN and Southport namely).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News