ADVERTISEMENT

Reparations!

SKYDOG

All-American
May 29, 2001
Hard to believe this is happening. Northwestern and now this. Something in the water in Evanston Illinois.

• Haha
Reactions: GeorgeDubya
Hard to believe this is happening. Northwestern and now this. Something in the water in Evanston Illinois.

Democrats and their vote buying schemes. Man…

Not only am I going to be identifying as black, I'm also going to identify as a resident of Evanston. No one can tell me I'm not those things.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Democrats and their vote buying schemes. Man…

Usually, true. Might work against them though?

However, the blacks have demonstrated they vote an incredibly high% Dem already. Don't think this is garnering any more black votes. But maybe? And the crazy woke white libs who would love this are already voting Dem anyway.

Possibly, this turns off independent tax payer and they then lean R?

Reactions: herrli
Usually, true. Might work against them though?

However, the blacks have demonstrated they vote an incredibly high% Dem already. Don't think this is garnering any more black votes. But maybe? And the crazy woke white libs who would love this are already voting Dem anyway.

Possibly, this turns off independent tax payer and they then lean R?
I really just can't get my head around how someone can be so liberal as to think that giving someone money is going to make one bit of difference in anything......except for buying votes, of course.

I find it interesting that there is no requirement (at least I didn’t read one) that the citizens collecting reparations didn’t need to be a descendant of a slave.

That’s like paying out hurricane damages to people who live in Kansas, but democrats will be democrats.

Woohoo….free money!!!!

Last edited:
I find it interesting that there is no requirement (at least I didn’t read one) that the citizens collecting reparations didn’t need to be a descendant of a slave.

That’s like paying out hurricane damages to people who live in Kansas, but democrats will be democrats.

Woohoo….free money!!!!
If you read the article, the reparations are not for descendants of slavery. The reparations are for "Residents who are receiving reparations are described as "ancestors," defined as African American or Black individuals who were at least 18 years old and living in Evanston between 1919 and 1969, or as descendants of Evanston residents living during that time. During this period, Black residents were victims of housing discrimination as a result of early city zoning laws."

• Angry
Not only am I going to be identifying as black, I'm also going to identify as a resident of Evanston. No one can tell me I'm not those things.
Why wouldn’t you also identify as a nonbinary it/them/they person ?

Are you a transphobe ???

If you read the article, the reparations are not for descendants of slavery. The reparations are for "Residents who are receiving reparations are described as "ancestors," defined as African American or Black individuals who were at least 18 years old and living in Evanston between 1919 and 1969, or as descendants of Evanston residents living during that time. During this period, Black residents were victims of housing discrimination as a result of early city zoning laws."

Kinda stupid policy passed by woke libs.

A way better policy would be to put large bonuse$ in poor schools for teachers who increased reading rate to 100% of all 4th graders.

But libs aren't interested in fixing things. Only buying votes.

Me, if I lived in Evanston, my house is for sale. Not paying taxes for that reparations crap.

Kinda stupid policy passed by woke libs.

A way better policy would be to put large bonuse$ in poor schools for teachers who increased reading rate to 100% of all 4th graders.

But libs aren't interested in fixing things. Only buying votes.

Me, if I lived in Evanston, my house is for sale. Not paying taxes for that reparations crap.
First of all, Evanston must likely ain’t got no poor schools. However, for the sake of argument if they did, sinking money into or incentivizing teachers to improve test and reading scores in the so called under performing schools will not work. The reason they won’t work is because the parents or in a lot of cases the parent has never established a good education base at home. Perhaps due to education challenges themselves. Combined by not reading to their children during the preschool age. Now by the time the child gets to elementary school they are behind. In my opinion these kids are delayed mentally by this time which in turn may affect the ability due the child to learn at a normal rate. That puts the teacher, who most are good teachers with good at a disadvantage. Therefore, any improvement will be minimal at best.

Some school districts incentivize teachers according to improved test scores. In some instances, job security is based on this. This have lead to teachers cheating, giving test answers to kids on standardized tests. This is what happened in Atlanta a few years back. Several teachers were caught doing just that and was fired. The bottom line is that if you base a teacher’s raise or job in under performing and possibly undisciplined kids, a teacher is going to do whatever it takes to keep their job.

My mistake. Evanston is paying out “damages” for “making” people live in overcrowded apartments and the resulting “lost opportunities”.🤪

(🤔. I wonder if there were any white people who lived in those overcrowded apartments during that 50 year span. Could they have been negatively impacted as well? Nope, just the black peole and their descendants. And how come 1969 and not 1970? I probably should stop as I am guessing this “entitlement” will expand on its own).

First of all, Evanston must likely ain’t got no poor schools. However, for the sake of argument if they did, sinking money into or incentivizing teachers to improve test and reading scores in the so called under performing schools will not work. The reason they won’t work is because the parents or in a lot of cases the parent has never established a good education base at home. Perhaps due to education challenges themselves. Combined by not reading to their children during the preschool age. Now by the time the child gets to elementary school they are behind. In my opinion these kids are delayed mentally by this time which in turn may affect the ability due the child to learn at a normal rate. That puts the teacher, who most are good teachers with good at a disadvantage. Therefore, any improvement will be minimal at best.

Some school districts incentivize teachers according to improved test scores. In some instances, job security is based on this. This have lead to teachers cheating, giving test answers to kids on standardized tests. This is what happened in Atlanta a few years back. Several teachers were caught doing just that and was fired. The bottom line is that if you base a teacher’s raise or job in under performing and possibly undisciplined kids, a teacher is going to do whatever it takes to keep their job.
On the contrary, Evanston must have had “poor” schools. “Simmons said the next phase will focus on addressing the education gap.“

Why wouldn’t you also identify as a nonbinary it/them/they person ?

Are you a transphobe ???
I don't subscribe to 'phobes'. There's simply things I agree and disagree with. Lefties and libs will label anything you disagree with as "hate", and that's fine with me because they tend to get triggered by most anything that doesn't fit their narrative.

It's similar to me being labeled a "racist" because I don't agree with paying reparations.

Totally agree. Throwing money at the problem, although a common Democrat idea, is usually not the solution.

On the contrary, Evanston must have had “poor” schools. “Simmons said the next phase will focus on addressing the education gap.“
The times I’ve been to Evanston I did not see any poor areas. Like any other city maybe they do. That’s why I said if they do, more money is not going to improve test scores.

I am a teacher by training. So is my Mom, Grandpa & brother.

I guarantee it would work with a segment of great teachers if you give incentives equal to their normal pay. Great teachers and extra time before & after school can TRUMP bad parenting. But you got to make it worth their time which the system currently does not.

And I am talking making sure ALL can read well.....not test scores. Currently a large % of poor youth cannot read anywhere close to grade level. So a program targeting elementary grades is what I am talking about.....where any teacher grades K-12 are paid well to work before & after school with those elementary kids needing help.

Sure with some wako lib teachers not motivated to help kids, or not motivated by $, only want the talk about it, or complain, well you are perhaps correct. Saw those type in Indy. I am sure that's the experience with teachers you are familiar with.

Last edited:

I guarantee it would work with a segment of great teachers if you give incentives equal to their normal pay. Great teachers and extra time before & after school can TRUMP bad parenting. But you got to make it worth their time which the system currently does not.

And I am talking making sure ALL can read well.....not test scores. Currently a large % of poor youth cannot read anywhere close to grade level. So a program targeting elementary grades is what I am talking about.....where any teacher grades K-12 are paid well to work before & after school with those elementary kids needing help.

Sure with some wako lib teachers not motivated to help kids, or not motivated by $, only want the talk about it, or complain, well you are perhaps correct. Saw those type in Indy. I am sure that's the experience with teachers you are familiar with.
Take any Indiana school system known for high academics and high test scores. Put those teachers at an under performing elementary school in Gary, IN for one year. I guarantee you that the grades and standardized test scores will remain the same.

Take any Indiana school system known for high academics and high test scores. Put those teachers at an under performing elementary school in Gary, IN for one year. I guarantee you that the grades and standardized test scores will remain the same.

As usual you didn't READ my post....or comprehension of what was read was low.

Ironically, not talking test scores, I was posting about teaching poor kids how to READ. Lol.

How many teachers have even heard of Jeanne Chall...let alone being a topic in ed skool? I exchanged comments with a third grade teacher in Indy many years ago that thought it was more important for her students to see black athletes and musicians in magazine than teaching phonics. Said they needed their hero more than phonics... :(

Reactions: Boiler Buck
How many teachers have even heard of Jeanne Chall...let alone being a topic in ed skool? I exchanged comments with a third grade teacher in Indy many years ago that thought it was more important for her students to see black athletes and musicians in magazine than teaching phonics. Said they needed their hero more than phonics... :(

Sad really. But the woke ones that favor agenda over the 3Rs are just as bad.

This lady in your article was one of the great ones.

I only taught 4 years until moved to another career, still in education, for more money. But no doubt, education is the key to independence from Govt & self reliance. And I know that's why the Dem machine wants the status quo educationally. They require a population of dependency to continue their control & power. So a quality education for all can't be allowed because that breaks the cycle of dependency.

And amazingly many poor blacks and poor whites willingly partake of Dems continuing to abuse them through poor schools for power. All for meager handouts and a subservient existence of dependency. One summer working in the Indy projects & schools was all it took for me to, change parties & never vote Dem again.

Sadly, BNI knows this true, and he apparently is ok with it. Party over what is good for people. Party over good schools. Party over safe neighborhoods. Party over everything. Because they fooled him with one word.....racism, which he laps up with every breath and waking thought. Meanwhile his race suffers for generations at the stranglehold of the very Dem party he worships, but also has his people in metaphorical chains via these handouts & poor schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjreese

I only taught 4 years until moved to another career, still in education, for more money. But no doubt, education is the key to independence from Govt & self reliance. And I know that's why the Dem machine wants the status quo educationally. They require a population of dependency to continue their control & power. So a quality education for all can't be allowed because that breaks the cycle of dependency.

And amazingly many poor blacks and poor whites willingly partake of Dems continuing to abuse them through poor schools for power. All for meager handouts and a subservient existence of dependency. One summer working in the Indy projects & schools was all it took for me to, change parties & never vote Dem again.

BNI knows this true, and he apparently is ok with it. Party over what is good for people. Party over good schools. Party over safe neighborhoods. Party over everything. Because they fooled him with one word.....racism, which he laps up with every breath and waking thought. Meanwhile his race suffers for generations at the stranglehold of the very Dem party he worships.
He is right about there being a culture problem in his Gary example. Course what led to a culture problem and did the problem exist decades ago?

He is right about there being a culture problem in his Gary example. Course what led to a culture problem and did the problem exist decades ago?

He has excuses for that though. Everything under the sun, but to recognize the true cause.....no.

Reactions: tjreese

Sadly, BNI knows this true, and he apparently is ok with it. Party over what is good for people. Party over good schools. Party over safe neighborhoods. Party over everything. Because they fooled him with one word.....racism, which he laps up with every breath and waking thought. Meanwhile his race suffers for generations at the stranglehold of the very Dem party he worships, but also has his people in metaphorical chains via these handouts & poor schools.
Y'all keep saying liberal this, Dems that. What about the poorest states in the US are ran by the repubs, MS and AL. A lot of the schools in those states are underperforming.

Speaking of underperforming, I’ll reverse my Gary, IN scenario. You take a class of underperforming class of second graders that are reading at the first grade level. Math skills at the first grade level also. Place them in an elementary school in Munster, IN, where the school system is one of the tops in the state of Indiana. Again, those kids won’t fair any better than the school that they came from in Gary in my opinion. I went to elementary and junior high with some of the kids that grew up in challenging situations, there exceptions but a lot of them were behind in reading and math. The teachers at the time I know were good teachers. They worked with them. By the the time we got to junior high, I see the same kids still having the same academic issues. Some had to repeat the grade level. The bottom line is that depending on the kid’s situation at home during the preschool years affects their ability to learn when they to school no matter what school that they go to. I’ve seen it first hand. The kids that did well in school came from better backgrounds at home.

Y'all keep saying liberal this, Dems that. What about the poorest states in the US are ran by the repubs, MS and AL. A lot of the schools in those states are underperforming.

Speaking of underperforming, I’ll reverse my Gary, IN scenario. You take a class of underperforming class of second graders that are reading at the first grade level. Math skills at the first grade level also. Place them in an elementary school in Munster, IN, where the school system is one of the tops in the state of Indiana. Again, those kids won’t fair any better than the school that they came from in Gary in my opinion. I went to elementary and junior high with some of the kids that grew up in challenging situations, there exceptions but a lot of them were behind in reading and math. The teachers at the time I know were good teachers. They worked with them. By the the time we got to junior high, I see the same kids still having the same academic issues. Some had to repeat the grade level. The bottom line is that depending on the kid’s situation at home during the preschool years affects their ability to learn when they to school no matter what school that they go to. I’ve seen it first hand. The kids that did well in school came from better backgrounds at home.

Reading is a basic skill. 100% of children without a disability should be able to read & read well. You say that's just not possible. Defeatist attitude. Your Dem media masters have you right where they want you.

Reading is a basic skill. 100% of children without a disability should be able to read & read well. You say that's just not possible. Defeatist attitude. Your Dem media masters have you right where they want you.
That's kind of my point. I believe that some of these kids do have some sort of learning ability. I attended public elementary and junior high schools back in the day and they had some good teachers. These kids never really caught up to even the general education kids, let alone college prep kids when they graduated from high school. Some did not graduate. Particularly the kids growing up in the urban areas where all the violence and gangbanging are taking place. They see this violence from the time they come out of the womb. I believe these kids have some sort of PTSD by the time they get to school age. Therefore, these folks are delayed in learning and behavior. Sinking money to hopefully improve their reading is hopeless in most cases. It's not about dems this or left that. Unfortunately, that is the way of life in these neighborhoods. Y'all blame the dems and liberals. I have yet to hear a viable repub, conservative solution.

Y'all blame the dems and liberals. I have yet to hear a viable repub, conservative solution.

Gave you one above. Your defeatist attitude apparently can't process it.

I would first add school choice to that.

Secondly in my above deal.....no one leaves elementary school without being able to read and do basic math. That is not the case now.

As soon as you drop behind you go to reading magnet school with micro small classes 5-10 kids during, before after school and on Saturdays. There until you can read and do math well. Extra reading magnet school hours are taught by gr k-12 teachers who want to make $ & they are paid well.

You know education is the main problem with incarceration, crime, & poverty.. Be nice to "nip it, nip it in the bud" as Barney Fife would say.

A

And the worst cities for crime and murder are all run by Democrats

What about the poorest states in the US are ran by the repubs, MS and AL. A lot of the schools in those states are underperforming.

Actually MS has improved reading scores of 76+ % of it's students. Went from 49th to 21st in Reading . Mississippi, holds students back in third grade if they cannot pass a reading test but also gives them multiple chances to pass tests after intensive tutoring and summer literacy camps.

MS improved reading by doing this.... other states are looking to copy their efforts.

Basically improving by doing what I have been saying ....extensive tutoring reading camps and extra time with poor readers.

Huhhh...guess it is possible. Hopefully, this article will change your defeatist attitude.

Last edited:
For once, I agree. What the difference is, in most really good schools such as the one where I live, most fathers live in the home

So, do you believe it's a cultural issue, a race issue or socioeconomic issue?
Not going to look it up, but I'd be interested in know if poor white kids and poor black kids do similarly academically?

That's kind of my point. I believe that some of these kids do have some sort of learning ability. I attended public elementary and junior high schools back in the day and they had some good teachers. These kids never really caught up to even the general education kids, let alone college prep kids when they graduated from high school. Some did not graduate. Particularly the kids growing up in the urban areas where all the violence and gangbanging are taking place. They see this violence from the time they come out of the womb. I believe these kids have some sort of PTSD by the time they get to school age. Therefore, these folks are delayed in learning and behavior. Sinking money to hopefully improve their reading is hopeless in most cases. It's not about dems this or left that. Unfortunately, that is the way of life in these neighborhoods. Y'all blame the dems and liberals. I have yet to hear a viable repub, conservative solution.
Unfortunately, the dems policies and stance on issues are what perpetuate the issues these kids face:
victimhood
lack of accountability
lack of focus on 2 parent family

Last edited:
Not going to look it up, but I'd be interested in know if poor white kids and poor black kids do similarly academically?
All of the above.

I can’t speak on poor folks blacks or whites from non-urban or rural areas. But the blacks that live in the inner cities where crime and gang warfare is rampant, I think their learning and behavior for that matter is affected by the violence that they are exposed to since they come out the womb. I really believe that by the time they get to school age, the kids may have some form of PTSD. Perhaps their mother has PTSD since she was a child on and on. Therefore, contrary to Boiler Buck’s assertions, I’m not sure if these kids are capable of learning efficiently compared to poor whites and blacks that don’t live in that hostile environment. Perhaps they can improve their reading scores with aggressive methods that Buck is talking about. Not the inner city folks.

not to me, but clearly a cultural issue. That cultural issue is tied to socioeconomics which depending on where the data would be gathered that may or may not point to race since that data would be confounded inside a larger set of data. However, Jaimie Escalante (sp?) and Marva Collins proved that it didn't have to be by having "poorer" students of all races do well.

Part of the problem as is with many government attempts to make things better, but make them worse, is that "society" doesn't place enough incentive to live comfortably with very meaningful, easy "expected standards". There is a huge crutch. Here in Indiana...part of the reason ISTEP was started was due to the Manufacturing Lobbyist hiring high school grads that couldn't read or write even though they had a diploma. So, they pushed the state for some standard that would better ensure those they hire could do minimal academic work. One person involved was an IU fan that had a business in Carmel.

All of the above.

I can’t speak on poor folks blacks or whites from non-urban or rural areas. But the blacks that live in the inner cities where crime and gang warfare is rampant, I think their learning and behavior for that matter is affected by the violence that they are exposed to since they come out the womb. I really believe that by the time they get to school age, the kids may have some form of PTSD. Perhaps their mother has PTSD since she was a child on and on. Therefore, contrary to Boiler Buck’s assertions, I’m not sure if these kids are capable of learning efficiently compared to poor whites and blacks that don’t live in that hostile environment. Perhaps they can improve their reading scores with aggressive methods that Buck is talking about. Not the inner city folks.

I believe Mississippi has "inner city folks". And the whole state improved. So it's possible. You would have to recognize that from the article above.

But having been in education, yes, there are indeed some students harder to reach, and perhaps the violence the Dem cities allow via week prosecutors and bail "reforms" is a partial cause?

Shoot between Dem unions ruining these kids in schools and DEM violence that they allow causing PTSD.....almost enough to make you think about voting Republican??.....at least for a moment or two LOL

I believe Mississippi has "inner city folks". And the whole state improved. So it's possible. You would have to recognize that from the article above.

But having been in education, yes, there are indeed some students harder to reach, and perhaps the violence the Dem cities allow via week prosecutors and bail "reforms" is a partial cause?

Shoot between Dem unions ruining these kids in schools and DEM violence that they allow causing PTSD.....almost enough to make you think about voting Republican??.....at least for a moment or two LOL
You are pretty obsessed with this Dems this and liberal that crap.

Anyhow, I don’t think you can compare the violence and murders in Jackson, MS or Birmingham, AL to Chicago, Detroit, Philly, LA etc. Perhaps you are correct, the folks in MS and AL can improve their reading even though your data reflects the total white and black, not just the black. I don’t think the blacks folks in so called inner cities of MS and AL have the level of my suspected PTSD Chicago, LA, or NYC. Their PTSD has nothing to do with the Dems running the cities. King consigliere himself, Rudy Guiliani did not improve the PTSD in the kids in NYC.

You are pretty obsessed with this Dems this and liberal that crap.

Anyhow, I don’t think you can compare the violence and murders in Jackson, MS or Birmingham, AL to Chicago, Detroit, Philly, LA etc. Perhaps you are correct, the folks in MS and AL can improve their reading even though your data reflects the total white and black, not just the black. I don’t think the blacks folks in so called inner cities of MS and AL have the level of my suspected PTSD Chicago, LA, or NYC. Their PTSD has nothing to do with the Dems running the cities. King consigliere himself, Rudy Guiliani did not improve the PTSD in the kids in NYC.

Think Jackson, MS & Birmingham, AL are fairly comparable to Indy & Fort Wayne type cities. Not exactly but close.

I do think the Dem prosecutor & Dem bail policies are hurting & not helping crime you say you care about.....due to the PTSD in kids you say it's causing in Indianapolis. Crime & murder up in Indy under these Dem policies. That should matter to you, but next opportunity you get, the vote lever again goes Dem I bet.....which is illogical, but you do you.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeDubya
Think Jackson, MS & Birmingham, AL are fairly comparable to Indy & Fort Wayne type cities. Not exactly but close.
That sounds about right and that's my point. Perhaps the kids reading below level living in those comparable cities have a chance to improve with the aggressive reading methods. They don't have the types of gangs and violence like Chicago. I'm not saying that those methods should not be at least tried in those violent and gang infested large cities. But I'm just saying that you may not get the results that you think you will. Poor reading, low test scores, etc. have nothing to do with dems, repubs, unions, or whatever at all.

That sounds about right and that's my point. Perhaps the kids reading below level living in those comparable cities have a chance to improve with the aggressive reading methods. They don't have the types of gangs and violence like Chicago. I'm not saying that those methods should not be at least tried in those violent and gang infested large cities. But I'm just saying that you may not get the results that you think you will. Poor reading, low test scores, etc. have nothing to do with dems, repubs, unions, or whatever at all.
But, you have to go back to the root of the problem:
Why is there such a higher degree of violence in inner city? Because of the gang and drug trade.
Why is the gang/drug trade prevalent in the inner city? Because a lot of these young men lack direction/discipline.
Why do these young men lack direction/discipline? Because they don't have a father in the home teaching them right/wrong.
Why don't they have a father in the home.....

You see where this is going? You have to get to where the problem starts, not try to intervene after it's too late, which seems to be most Dem solutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerJS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT