ADVERTISEMENT

Refs foul calling

I really didn't have too many complaints today. If anything I thought Hepburn was allowed to get physical with Smith, but not a huge deal.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
If purdue wins, refs do a good job. If purdue loses, refs do a bad job. It's really that simple. =) Just kidding.

My friend just sent me a still pic of the opening tip. Edey gets his arm grabbed on the tip-off. He does get fouled a lot. I just didn't think this game was particularly bad compared to the rest of the season.

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
Well, another two phantom calls against Gillis. Smith gets poked in the eye twice by Chucky and no call either time. Second one looked intentional; not sure about the first one. I thought a couple fouls against Jones and another against Morton were also very questionable. We escaped with the win regardless, I will take it! Boiler Up!

My friend just sent me a still pic of the opening tip. Edey gets his arm grabbed on the tip-off. He does get fouled a lot. I just didn't think this game was particularly bad compared to the rest of the season.
I noticed that. Three tips in a row we haven’t gotten.

It is interesting that he's lost plenty of tips recently.

Haah the tip doesn’t mean much
That's what she said
enjoy.gif

Collins is such a baby. He literally grabbed loyer last year and they mug our bigs

They should have fined and suspended him for doing that during actual play. The B1G should review all games for that type of sh*t.

Imagine how Collins would have reacted if Painter had done that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schnelk
Well, another two phantom calls against Gillis. Smith gets poked in the eye twice by Chucky and no call either time. Second one looked intentional; not sure about the first one. I thought a couple fouls against Jones and another against Morton were also very questionable. We escaped with the win regardless, I will take it! Boiler Up!
Exactly, Gillis was trying to shrink back no arm extension and gets called , very next possession Edey is mugged by 3 guys nothing as usual, correct on Smith.....yeah yeah we won but I thought the calls in the second half felt like Vegas had made a phone call at half......
Boiler up , take the win , but if this was to happen in the tournament in March could translate to a loss.

Reactions: Boiler BCT 93
It was pretty bad but pretty evenly bad between both teams. There was a free throw disparity due to Wisconsin intentionally fouling, so I'm sure some podcasts will have to talk about that.

Wisconsin seemed to do a lot of little things like Chucky Woodbury doing a few eye pokes, a potential crotch shot to TKR in the first half that knocked him over and the cylinder foul to try to draw a travel on Smith at the end. All this from a guy that didn't score a bucket all game outside of the open layup Smith handed him. Then Klesmit had one of the more egregious flops you'll see all year in conference play. Crowl can't even let the jump ball go in the error without trying to hook and hold Edey.

I totally missed anything about this. Not sure how cuz I watched every minute. What happened?

I saw on the replay. On the and-one in the first half (7:32, under 8 TO) where Braden Smith got bumped to the floor under the basket.....he did the mini-flex.....like after the OT score against NW.....guessing it's related to that and maybe the official saying something either to him or Painter as a warning (for taunting?).....speculating there.

Approximately starting @ 1:08 of the highlights...

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I saw on the replay. On the and-one in the first half (7:32, under 8 TO) where Braden Smith got bumped to the floor under the basket.....he did the mini-flex.....like after the OT score against NW.....guessing it's related to that and maybe the official saying something either to him or Painter as a warning (for taunting?).....speculating there.

Approximately starting @ 1:08 of the highlights...

It seemed like TJD flexed every time he scored at IU. I never saw a ref say anything about it.

• Love
These were some very good refs today....let everyone play, swallowed their whistles most of the time unless it was legit.
I agree for the most part. I think when they reviewed the Gillis "elbow to the face", they had to see it wasn't a foul. So instead of calling it a flagrant 1 or 2 as required byy the rules, they just called it a common foul. It was still a bad call, and they should have warned the UW player for the flop.

I want to know why it looked like the ref was baiting Smith after his and 1 on the ground flex. Seriously very strange. I think it would benefit the league as a whole to have them mic’ed so the conference can review what was being said. You are a grown adult trying to fight a 19 yr old college kid.
I was wondering what that was all about.
Smith flexes his muscles after a nice drive and 1.
A lot more celebration expressed by players and it's no big deal.

Exactly, Gillis was trying to shrink back no arm extension and gets called , very next possession Edey is mugged by 3 guys nothing as usual, correct on Smith.....yeah yeah we won but I thought the calls in the second half felt like Vegas had made a phone call at half......
Boiler up , take the win , but if this was to happen in the tournament in March could translate to a loss.
I agree it was very strange calls. The normal zach mugging but the gillis, morton, jones calls were very strange. Zach gets alot of travels because of triple muggery and no halo given

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT