ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits

Jan 2, 2016
everyone talks about the great recruits we have coming in next year. How many will back out after a terrible season?

I believe what is more likely is that the elite recruits who waited and did not commit may start to have second thoughts and are starting to look elsewhere. Those great recruits like Bell, Weaver, Robinson, Gibson and Wright that we expected to join our core, might not be as willing and as excited to come here and what you see currently is what we may end up with adding a couple of lesser players to fill out the class.

I believe winning is a lot more important to an elite recruit than seeing a chance to play immediately. Because if you're an elite recruit, you expect to play immediately and beat out the incumbent. it's like academics. yo u don't come to Purdue to take easy courses and to be the best in your class. The students who come to Purdue are already the best in their class and expect that trend to continue.

I believe it speaks volumes that none of the players who said they had a wait and see approach have committed yet. on the plus side, at least they haven't committed elsewhere yet. for recruiting purposes if we need to right this ship quickly if we expect to gain additional commitments from the elite recruits. there wil always be 2/3 stars looking for and willing to accept a scholarship.

Reactions: Moverb and Zaphod_B
I believe what is more likely is that the elite recruits who waited and did not commit may start to have second thoughts and are starting to look elsewhere. Those great recruits like Bell, Weaver, Robinson, Gibson and Wright that we expected to join our core, might not be as willing and as excited to come here and what you see currently is what we may end up with adding a couple of lesser players to fill out the class.

I believe winning is a lot more important to an elite recruit than seeing a chance to play immediately. Because if you're an elite recruit, you expect to play immediately and beat out the incumbent. it's like academics. yo u don't come to Purdue to take easy courses and to be the best in your class. The students who come to Purdue are already the best in their class and expect that trend to continue.

I believe it speaks volumes that none of the players who said they had a wait and see approach have committed yet. on the plus side, at least they haven't committed elsewhere yet. for recruiting purposes if we need to right this ship quickly if we expect to gain additional commitments from the elite recruits. there wil always be 2/3 stars looking for and willing to accept a scholarship.
Purdue isn't getting blown out and you can clearly see mistakes of the mental kind are the ones that are plaguing the team. It isn't a laughable lack of coaching or laughable lack of talent leading to getting the doors blown off (arguably a worse loss was NIU's beat down a few years ago)...good players understand the game and can see Purdue is honestly 5-6 real solid players away from being 2-0 with legit shots at Missouri and BC. The core of the defense comes back next season and the offense should continue to make strides....adding in guys to at least provide some increased skills, even as freshman, will go a long way. Kids like GK and Grant understand that and would like to be a reason for Purdue to get over the hump. I'm sure that has been part of the angle for their recruitment.

Purdue isn't getting blown out and you can clearly see mistakes of the mental kind are the ones that are plaguing the team. It isn't a laughable lack of coaching or laughable lack of talent leading to getting the doors blown off (arguably a worse loss was NIU's beat down a few years ago)...good players understand the game and can see Purdue is honestly 5-6 real solid players away from being 2-0 with legit shots at Missouri and BC. The core of the defense comes back next season and the offense should continue to make strides....adding in guys to at least provide some increased skills, even as freshman, will go a long way. Kids like GK and Grant understand that and would like to be a reason for Purdue to get over the hump. I'm sure that has been part of the angle for their recruitment.
LOL, I'm sure glad that Purdue didn't get blown out by Eastern Michigan because that would surely get recruits second guessing Purdue. Mental mistakes and penalties aside, the questionable coaching displayed in the last 2 games would be my biggest fear of losing recruits...especially the recruits that are in play ONLY because of Jeff Brohm.

Eastern Michigan should have been blown away even with Hazell as coach. my main concern is the players brohm is still trying to convince also have offers from schools like Alabama, Michigan, Georgia, UW, OSU and the like. in order to pry away these recruits to come to Purdue, we NEED to show them we can potentially be as good as those other schools competing for their talents. losing our first two games that we should have won and possibly not going to a bowl game is not a very convincing argument to choose Purdue over Georgia or Alabama. We NEED some convincing wins, and that's what our undecided recruits want to see.

Reactions: Moverb
Eastern Michigan should have been blown away even with Hazell as coach. my main concern is the players brohm is still trying to convince also have offers from schools like Alabama, Michigan, Georgia, UW, OSU and the like. in order to pry away these recruits to come to Purdue, we NEED to show them we can potentially be as good as those other schools competing for their talents. losing our first two games that we should have won and possibly not going to a bowl game is not a very convincing argument to choose Purdue over Georgia or Alabama. We NEED some convincing wins, and that's what our undecided recruits want to see.
IMO to keep high level recruits interested, you have to display excellent coaching, discipline, and potential...regardless of overall record. Purdue and Brohm are not delivering on any of that.

Last edited:
IMO to keep high level recruits interested, you have to display excellent coaching, discipline, and potential...regardless of overall record. Purdue and Brohm and not delivering on any of that.

I would agree in part. I have to believe the elite athlete has dreams of playing in the pros and wants to play fora team that has a record of developing pro athletes. I constantly hear how Alabama sends 10+ players to the pros every year. And Purdue sends one or two. Making a practice squad or basketball summer league team really doesn't count.

With that said, I'm not so sure thatAlabama has great coaches. If you're a Packers fan you'd swear their players are busts in the NFL especially their Dbacks. The same is true with Calipari at U.K. Is he really a great coach noted for developing talent?

That's why I say winning is more important than coaching. Players go to the school where they believe gives them the best opportunity to make the pros.

I'm more familiar with track and field. In that sport, the athletes goal is to make the olympics. And athletes will flock to certain schools based on their specific coaches rather than their record. SIU has a national rep for weight throwers. Tenn is known for sprinters. OSU is known for sprinterdand jumpers. A team's overall record is meaningless.

But in football I have to believe bowl games , winning and making the pros are higher factors than having great coaches.

And as it relates to Purdue, in order to purswade a player to choose Purdue over Clemson Alabama or OSU etc, I have to believe we need some significant wins because I highly doubt we can say our coaches are better at developing their talent. You can make that argument when recruiting against MAC teams. But when competing against the big teams for an elite recruit, you need a lot more than just saying we have great coaches.

Do you win because you have great players?

OR

Do you get great players because you win?

OR

Yes! But I would ask do great coaches really attract great players? Or does winning attract great players? Who would you say is the best coach in college football? Saban? Fisher? Meyer? Harbaugh? Kelly? And where do the best players go? Is the Clemson coach really that great? Was Miles a great coach?

And it's the same for basketball. I believe Painter is one of the best coaches at developing talent. But look at his recruiting record. Elite basketball players are not really drooling to play for Painter. That's why I say winning championships is a bigger factor than coaching.

OR

You get "good" players by properly selling what your program has to offer (style of play, playing time, facilities, program on the rise, etc.). You get "great" players by utilizing those "good" players to win games and getting them drafted. For the next couple years we are building depth of "good" players, with hopefully a few "great" ones sprinkled in.

Reactions: InModeration
You get "good" players by properly selling what your program has to offer (style of play, playing time, facilities, program on the rise, etc.). You get "great" players by utilizing those "good" players to win games and getting them drafted. For the next couple years we are building depth of "good" players, with hopefully a few "great" ones sprinkled in.
Tiller’s first 3 recruiting classes were relatively ‘meh’ until he got to his 4th class in 2000 that had Stu, Gardner, and a few other high level players in it. Even with Tiller’s massive early success, it took awhile for recruiting to take hold. The fact Brohm is making strides in recruiting this early is a telling fact that he is doing the right things. Also, have you ever thought from the start Brohm has been honest with his recruiting and told the recruits there is a chance we won’t be good but here is why you’ll get a chance to play early in a system that fits you?

Brohm has always been honest to the media so why wouldn’t he do that with his recruits?

I’m about to take a week off from this place with all the asinine crap being posted. Some one you must be a thrill to be with the moment something in your life isn’t sunshine and roses.

Tiller’s first 3 recruiting classes were relatively ‘meh’ until he got to his 4th class in 2000 that had Stu, Gardner, and a few other high level players in it. Even with Tiller’s massive early success, it took awhile for recruiting to take hold. The fact Brohm is making strides in recruiting this early is a telling fact that he is doing the right things. Also, have you ever thought from the start Brohm has been honest with his recruiting and told the recruits there is a chance we won’t be good but here is why you’ll get a chance to play early in a system that fits you?

Brohm has always been honest to the media so why wouldn’t he do that with his recruits?

I’m about to take a week off from this place with all the asinine crap being posted. Some one you must be a thrill to be with the moment something in your life isn’t sunshine and roses.
Dis for me?

I don't believe you should really rate Brohm's recruiting this year until all of the class are signed. We have seen Brohm flip players on the last day. We've seen him sign great players late in the recruiting season. And we've also seen some early commits leave for other -mostly lesser - opportunities.

This class has the opportunity to be a very special class. And there are several elite players who are taking a wait and see approach. To convince them to come to Purdue, we've got to show them Purdue will be a force in the future.

Unlike the past when Purdue was competing with Toledo and Marshall for players, we are now competing with the likes of Alabama and Georgia for talent. In order to sway them to Purdue, we've got to show them why Purdue is worth coming to. And when you're talking about competing against teams like Alabama for an elite player, it no longer becomes a case of comparing coaches as their school also has great coaches. You've got to sell that Purdue is the place to be for them. And winning games goes a long way towards swaying a recruit.

You get great recruits because they expect to win once they get there. A lot of things feed into that expectation. Prior record is only one of those things. Everyone expected there to be hiccups that are normally associated with a young inexperienced team, exactly the same sort of hiccups that directly led to the last two losses. I think that incoming recruits are disappointed at this point but I don' think they've slammed on the brakes just yet. If Purdue can mature and compete well against the top teams on their schedule, there won't be any more de-commits than might have otherwise been expected. There may even be an outside chance that they will see this type of season as one that guarantees that Brohm won't be leaving for at least another year or two. . . .yeah, I know. That's reaching but all of this discussion is pure speculation anyway, right? That said, perceptions do matter but it's the overall perception that matters and the expected implications that it has on NEXT year that matters most. Still, a win versus Missouri wouldn't hurt a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT