ADVERTISEMENT

Question?

Dec 16, 2010
Ft. Wayne Indiana
So this is my nephews run from last night. He lays the wood at the end. A person chimes in on twitter and commented on it being an illegal hit (assuming he is referring to the helmet to helmet). I guess I am not seeing what the runner did wrong. Could some of you with better understanding of the rules chime in?

So this is my nephews run from last night. He lays the wood at the end. A person chimes in on twitter and commented on it being an illegal hit (assuming he is referring to the helmet to helmet). I guess I am not seeing what the runner did wrong. Could some of you with better understanding of the rules chime in?

By definition of the NFL rule, as I am not familiar with the current HS rules anymore. He initiated the head to head contact by lowering his helmet into the defender head, face mask area, imo. Had to freeze the clip and advance it frame by frame to see it, which no HS ref has.

Reactions: Boiler1313
A quick two second internet search found this:

"This rule, like the crown-of-the-helmet rule, could apply to a ballcarrier who initiates a blow on a potential tackler, as well as to a defender making a hit. An infraction would result in a 15-yard penalty."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ing-helmet-before-hit/?utm_term=.70b478516196

Reactions: ghostoffatjack
It's the head to head
He initiates...very few hs refs w call that! They generally blame the defensive player for level of pads n helmet

It's the head to head
He initiates...very few hs refs w call that! They generally blame the defensive player for level of pads n helmet

Yeah...rarely seen it called on the offensive player.

Usually it would be on the defender in that video even though the runner dropped his helmet to the level the defender was at

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT