ADVERTISEMENT

Effort, Intensity, and Offensive game plan

MichaelRR

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 17, 2022
There is a poster that has indicated he thinks some of our players are not in good shape, but his reasons have been somewhat ethereal. I do not agree that our players are not in game shape, but I have been wondering what he was seeing that made him believe it. First off lets define the difference between intensity and effort. You can have none, one, the other or both. Intensity without effort is useless, because once things don't go easy and you have to dig in, those with intensity but no effort will bail out. You can have effort without intensity, and that is fine. Duhart, Cooper, and LWH are three players that quickly come to mind that would fit that category. Hard hat and lunch pail types that quietly dig in and deliver night after night. Then you have those that have both. Ellis and Komara are two bright examples of that type of firecracker player that fires up all their teammates by how they play.

Then we have the effects of the game plan. Unfortunately our game plan incorporates a lot of players standing around on the perimeter waiting for kickout passes. I suspect that is what Hoopsdad (if it wasn't you I apologize) is seeing that makes him believe that we have players that are not in game shape compared to other top teams that run more motion concept offenses with less standing around. Unfortunately we are still running a high school offense that we have run for 17-18 years with only a few tweeks. There is tons of film on us, and the offense is not very complex in the first place. Unfortunately making in game adjustments doesn't seem to be a strength of our team so far. We had plan A which was set up the 3 point shot off kickouts and quick passes. That wasnt working because we had no one who could hit the outside shot. We haven't shot the three well yet this season, but this was certainly a new low on that front. Unfortunately plan B seemed to be keep following plan A. We deviated from plan A once we were down 11, took a 2 point lead by going to the rim, and then shot 5 more 3s and one 2 the last 5 minutes of the game, scoring only 3 points in the last 5:05 after UF called a TO to stop our run. I do not think we played a smart game, even though I think we played hard the whole way.

I would like to hear what anyone else thinks about any of this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT