ADVERTISEMENT

Question RE: Brohm to Louisville

TwinDegrees2

All-American
Aug 8, 2009
North Central Indiana
Many on here are going to explode if Brohm goes to Da' Ville after just two years in West Laffy....but I ask all of you this one question, "If you had the chance to go back where you grew up, where you became a man, where you were the star QB, where your degree is from, where your family and friends reside and where you still have a home, and knowing that Tyra is going to toss an Ohio River barge full of cash and benefits his way.with a chance to resurrect their troubled program, would you not jump at the chance"?

As one who has coached, I'll tell you this, if it were me I'd be gone in a New York minute.

That depends...is coaching in the ACC my ultimate goal? Do I dream of coaching a blueblood program or of being an NFL coach? If the ultimate goal is to be an NFL coach, a stint at Louisville doesn’t carry as much weight.

Many on here are going to explode if Brohm goes to Da' Ville after just two years in West Laffy....but I ask all of you this one question, "If you had the chance to go back where you grew up, where you became a man, where you were the star QB, where your degree is from, where your family and friends reside and where you still have a home, and knowing that Tyra is going to toss an Ohio River barge full of cash and benefits his way.with a chance to resurrect their troubled program, would you not jump at the chance"?

As one who has coached, I'll tell you this, if it were me I'd be gone in a New York minute.

That’s how I’ve been looking at the situation. If Purdue offered me the job, I’d leave Bama to “come home”. I hope Brohm stays but I have my doubts and I won’t judge him too harshly if he goes back to Louisville.

No...as someone referenced yesterday...John Wooden was asked to come to Purdue after signing with UCLA. He thought it was important to keep your word.

I agree with John Wooden. All we have is our integrity...if it's compromised we are a shell.

Not if I felt I had a better chance succeeding somewhere else. And if I felt there would be more opportunities in the future to come home. And if my family was content to be out of the spotlight. And if I wanted to allow my son the opportunity to not grow up entirely in my shadow. And if I had a brother who might also want the hometown job. And if my personality was more inclined to want to venture out from the nest and blaze my own trail. And if I was close enough and had the resources to visit family anytime I want. And if I had Rondale Moore and a top 25 recruiting class, and an overall good (but unfinished) thing already going.

I think the Purdue fanbase would explode but a very small number of people would be mad at brohm. It wouldn't be the first time we've had our hearts ripped out after a taste of success.

Reactions: FearTheTrain
Not if I felt I had a better chance succeeding somewhere else. And if I felt there would be more opportunities in the future to come home. And if my family was content to be out of the spotlight. And if I wanted to allow my son the opportunity to not grow up entirely in my shadow. And if I had a brother who might also want the hometown job. And if my personality was more inclined to want to venture out from the nest and blaze my own trail. And if I was close enough and had the resources to visit family anytime I want. And if I had Rondale Moore and a top 25 recruiting class, and an overall good (but unfinished) thing already going.
Okay, using your scenario, let's assume Brohm really wants the Card job but he decides to wait for it at a later time. But then, Louisville finds the next Bobby Bowden and Brohm never has that chance again. The old saying....never look a gift horse in the mouth might never be truer.

Okay, using your scenario, let's assume Brohm really wants the Card job but he decides to wait for it at a later time. But then, Louisville finds the next Bobby Bowden and Brohm never has that chance again. The old saying....never look a gift horse in the mouth might never be truer.
Yeah, I guess you have to be happy enough with your current situation to accept that possibility (and for that matter, none of those other things I listed to factor in if you aren't happy with where you are). I tend to think he's pretty happy here. Regardless, if he stays and succeeds he will have much bigger opportunities than either Purdue or Louisville. Homecooking has nothing on NFL or Bama money. To your OP I won't be one ripping his head off either way.

Nothing I have seen from Brohm so far would demonstrate a desire to cease his career progression at Louisville. I just think he has greater goals. If Louisville is not his final destination, then why take the step back. No rebuild project is a guaranty. It’s a huge risk.

Reactions: chiboiler7
no I wouldn't, no one knows how good or bad another place is , until you get there. Purdue is totally behind Brohm, great class coming in, not everyone wants to stay in same town they grew up in
I agree 100%. Every time I think I might want to move back to where I grew up, I visit there, and the feeling is gone in a so-called "new york minute"

It’s all fun and games until you don’t succeed in your hometown and they fire you. Ask Joker Phillips what that’s like. Not saying he wouldn’t succeed by the pressure is going to be on. And talk about breaking hearts when one of the big boys rolls in with the max contract. Then you’re hated by our hometown for betrayal

NO !!!! growing up in Wisconsin, I watched as two legends went from being a beloved star player to a hated coach. And it was sad to watch . They weren't a bad coach. they just never achieved the same success as a coach that they did as a player and were fired.

the first player was Bart Starr. He is still beloved in Packerland. However, we hated him as a coach. The second player was Paul Molitor. We loved him as a player, but prayed he would not come back as a coach because we knew we would soon hate him. he wisely became a coach for the Twins instead of the Brewers and was ultimately fired.

A third player with a similar story would be Steve Alford. Everyone expected him to return as the IU basketball coach. he wisely decided to coach elsewhere.

Drew Brees is much the same way. I would hate to see him return as a coach. because Purdue fans would turn on him if he didn't produce a winner. and that would be very sad and disheartening to watch.

Reactions: 70boiler
I don't know how many of you live in your hometown where you grew up with all of your family and neighbors. I do. And it's wonderful in some regards. But there's a certain amount of pressure to succeed, just to be seen in a good light in the community, and to make your family proud. I've never been a public figure in my community, nor do I want to be. Because I can't imagine what kind of pressure that would be to keep everyone happy. But that's what Brohm's facing if he heads back to Louisville. He has to walk the fine line of doing his job and keeping the rabid fans who think he's going to deliver them to the promised land happy. And those rabid fans are people he grew up with and doesn't want to disappoint while doing things his own way.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan

Irrelevant question.

Reactions: Frankie611

This is stupid, even for you.

You suckled on Knight's teat for 30 years. Did he go home?

Reactions: Frankie611
You cant believe that this would be his only chance to coach at L'ville. I guarantee within 5-8 years that job would be open again. Sometimes going back home isn't the best option. Timing has to be everything here, and I dont see this being the best time to take the L'ville job.

Not trying to be a homer here, but man the momentum that Purdue football seems to have right now is unreal. Cant really say that L'ville has much momentum with anything.

I'm a Louisville guy. I played for Louisville. I think Jeff has a very difficult decision to make. Louisville has been to two BCS games in the past. Purdue has a history. I see no advantage either way in terms of history. Louisville has state of the art facilities and one of the nicest football complexes in the country. I don't know much h about Purdues facilities. The ACC vs the BIG. Both power five conferences. Neither school seems to be a destination job for any prior coaches..Joe Tiller 149 games at Purdue and Frank Camps 215 at louisville are the longest tenures. Jeff played for Louisville, his brothers played for Louisville his father and grandfather played for louisville. Purdue gave him his first big time job. He can be a hometown hero at Louisville but if he wins he gets lore from Purdue. It's a tough choice. I wouldn't want to make it.

He’s already on record as saying that coaching at L’ville is not his dream.

Which is exactly what any coach would say in that scenario. Maybe Louisville isn't where he wants to be; Purdue might be his dream job. However I see a refusal on the part of some Purdue fans to acknowledge that it could also just be coach speak. Why WOULD any coach tell his players, his coaches, his fans...that he would rather be somewhere else? A coach will say "I'm leaving here to accept the job there", but no coach would ever say "someday, I hope I'm there and not here."

This is stupid, even for you.

You suckled on Knight's teat for 30 years. Did he go home?
You remind me of a possum with a paint stripe. Except dumber.

In case no one told you, this is about Brohm. If no one told you, Knight is retired...done...finished. Great run at IU, solid job at TT..Hall of famer. l But his day is over. Again, try to stay on task, improve your reading comprehension, and keep up with the others.

I'm a Louisville guy. I played for Louisville. I think Jeff has a very difficult decision to make. Louisville has been to two BCS games in the past. Purdue has a history. I see no advantage either way in terms of history. Louisville has state of the art facilities and one of the nicest football complexes in the country. I don't know much h about Purdues facilities. The ACC vs the BIG. Both power five conferences. Neither school seems to be a destination job for any prior coaches..Joe Tiller 149 games at Purdue and Frank Camps 215 at louisville are the longest tenures. Jeff played for Louisville, his brothers played for Louisville his father and grandfather played for louisville. Purdue gave him his first big time job. He can be a hometown hero at Louisville but if he wins he gets lore from Purdue. It's a tough choice. I wouldn't want to make it.
Just curious we're you born in 75? I have a really good friend who played for Louisville and if so, might've been your teammate. Off topic, I know.

It’s all fun and games until you don’t succeed in your hometown and they fire you. Ask Joker Phillips what that’s like. Not saying he wouldn’t succeed by the pressure is going to be on. And talk about breaking hearts when one of the big boys rolls in with the max contract. Then you’re hated by our hometown for betrayal
Hell - ask Jeff Brohm. Is everyone forgetting that his beloved school already fired him once. They care about results - not Jeff Brohm.

Last edited:

like isn't about location, it's about living and challenges and new adventures. If you never leave the backyard how can you have any of that? You have to be your own man, carve your own piece not live in someone else's.

Louisville has had 5 coaches since 1998. Every 4 years on average another opening occurs. Would I want to go to the Forest Fire and try to put it out or take a program from the ash heap that now has solid foundation to new heights?
Most might think it is a no brainer to go home, but UofL has a TON of turmoil right now both inside the Football program, the Athletic Department (basketball) & University due to spillover of Basketball. I didn't even mention the lack of fiduciary management that UofL has exhibited the last few years. Brohm can only control one of those three facets. The other two might leave the football program with a lot of uncertainty primarily due to lack of institutional control of Basketball program and the Budget of the Institution itself. If it is proven that their football program is self funded, then I'm wrong.

Reactions: Bippus33
Many on here are going to explode if Brohm goes to Da' Ville after just two years in West Laffy....

Don't forget that he did coach at UL from 2003-2008 but then got thrown under the bus by then AD Jurich and HC Kragthorpe following the 2008 season after they ended up 5-7. Those guys are gone but I think there are some hard feelings there.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Everyone is different. Some people want to "go home" and some don't. Doesn't really matter what I would do. If he wants to go back there, I'm not going to hold it against him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT