ADVERTISEMENT

Purue.

Who missed layups? I remember dude from Creighton missed a wide open fast break layup. But I don’t remember Purdue missing “easy ones”. We did have some good looks that didn’t go down, that I think will this year.

TK = looked really good offensively—he can score on anyone in the country and grabbed boards (8). He needs to grab even more tbh.

Loyer = automatic from 3 if left open and played good defense.

Braden = hunted his shot and was super aggressive on offense—looked like his highlights from HS. His shot looked even better than last year and his defense was much improved too.

Furst = disappointing.

DJ = Frosh who played the best big in the country. Realized he can’t just use his height to save himself on defense. Will need to use his bass/weight to defend, as well as moving his feet. He will adjust to the speed, but may take until conference . Very encouraged by him not hesitating and knocking down the 3 for his first shot as a boiler and then hitting some big free throws at the end of the game.

Harris = got a bad whistle last night imo, but looked super comfortable out there already. He’s going to be good on both sides of the ball but his role this year will be guarding the best guard/wing.

Cox = a freakin defensive menace and offensive bucket (won’t be his role this year). He gave the 26 year old Pg for Creighton fits and stole it from him that made Ashworth intentionally foul him/they gave a flagrant 1. He will also guard the best wing/guard when needed. He looked super confident stepping into his mid range and knocking it down.

Heide = hopefully he didn’t play much due to painter wanting to see the Frosh but a bit concerning. Didn’t show much

Colvin = also concerning he didn’t see much time, but his shot looked smooth and his defense looked very much improved where he’s not going to be a liability. His athleticism is off the charts still and he showed that with the chase down block.

Burgess = man I wish we could get him more mins. Hope he plays over furst to get developed and get used to the speed of the game.
Regarding Harris, I'm guessing his focus is defense and rebounding. He did a great job.

Well if you wanted to watch less scoring, you could have watched the Indiana-Tennessee game. Lots of uncalled fouls on Tennessee(as usual for them) and A LOT of the bricks from both teams. Don't think I've ever heard worse rims on TV in my life.
Man such a rough watch. UT doesn’t have a Knecht type of scorer and (probably an overreaction) I don’t think they should be ranked at 12.

Barnes continues to use that type of defense to just foul as much as possible to see if the refs will actually call it.

Rice looks to be a top contender for best PG in the conference with Braden. He can take IU to the next level. But…

IU still can’t shoot the 3, nor defend it. Got lucky UT went 8-35 today. They had open looks left and right.

Was unimpressed with Ballo and Mgbako. Ballo was slow and low motor. Mgbako still slow and no explosiveness, but good shot when he’s open.

Carlyle looks like he needs to work on quite a few things still.

Reneau was decent, looked a bit improved. Needs to stop dribbling so far from the basket or it will cause a lot of issues for the team.

Goode looked the same. He whelmed.

Leal and Cupps looked way overmatched by the pressure. Cupps had to work very hard to get to the basket.

I know Galloway and Tucker were out, though. Not sure if they would have improved the 3pt shooting tho.

But yeah, it was a very rough watch haha

Man such a rough watch. UT doesn’t have a Knecht type of scorer and (probably an overreaction) I don’t think they should be ranked at 12.

Barnes continues to use that type of defense to just foul as much as possible to see if the refs will actually call it.

Rice looks to be a top contender for best PG in the conference with Braden. He can take IU to the next level. But…

IU still can’t shoot the 3, nor defend it. Got lucky UT went 8-35 today. They had open looks left and right.

Was unimpressed with Ballo and Mgbako. Ballo was slow and low motor. Mgbako still slow and no explosiveness, but good shot when he’s open.

Carlyle looks like he needs to work on quite a few things still.

Reneau was decent, looked a bit improved. Needs to stop dribbling so far from the basket or it will cause a lot of issues for the team.

Goode looked the same. He whelmed.

Leal and Cupps looked way overmatched by the pressure. Cupps had to work very hard to get to the basket.

I know Galloway and Tucker were out, though. Not sure if they would have improved the 3pt shooting tho.

But yeah, it was a very rough watch haha
Rice was the biggest bright spot to point to. Mgbako didn't look much different but did play better defensively. Ballo was meh. He rebounded. That's the expected. Carlyle looks to still be finding his place. Reneau was better down the stretch. Leal and Cupps won't be getting a ton of minutes throughout the season. When Galloway and Tucker come back, it'll pretty much take all of those minutes. Doesn't help the 3pt shooting likely but does help the length, athleticism and creation on offense. Maybe some more forgiving rims will be better though.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Rice was the biggest bright spot to point to. Mgbako didn't look much different but did play better defensively. Ballo was meh. He rebounded. That's the expected. Carlyle looks to still be finding his place. Reneau was better down the stretch. Leal and Cupps won't be getting a ton of minutes throughout the season. When Galloway and Tucker come back, it'll pretty much take all of those minutes. Doesn't help the 3pt shooting likely but does help the length, athleticism and creation on offense. Maybe some more forgiving rims will be better though.
For sure. Both teams shot like they hadn’t played bball all summer 😂

Reactions: Bank Shot Podcast
Layup drill. Can't imagine the actual count. Jacobson the worst, by considerable margin. Totally lost back door. Lets hope first game blahs.
Biggest concern: Nobody looked noticeably better than last season.( Ok, yes Braden scored a lot
One game, doesn't mean much.
Unless it continues.
If you don't think Braden looked better, not sure what game you were watching. If Braden continues at that level , he will go straight to the NBA next year.

Nobody looked noticeably better than last season.
Weird Al What GIF by First We Feast

The NBA isn't exactly interested in 6 foot, underclassmen point guards.
Chris Paul would disagree.

If Braden has a big year, you can absolutely bet that the NBA will come knocking since they go off of potential. Then again, your fanbase didn't think Zach would make it because "he is just tall" so not sure you all should be giving advice on who will or won't get interest from the NBA.

Chris Paul would disagree.

If Braden has a big year, you can absolutely bet that the NBA will come knocking since they go off of potential. Then again, your fanbase didn't think Zach would make it because "he is just tall" so not sure you all should be giving advice on who will or won't get interest from the NBA.
Yea that was Chris Paul. Are we really going to say Smith is the level of Chris Paul? The guy that was drafted 4th overall and is considered the "point-god?"

Who missed layups? I remember dude from Creighton missed a wide open fast break layup. But I don’t remember Purdue missing “easy ones”. We did have some good looks that didn’t go down, that I think will this year.
Layup drill for CREIGHTON against our pitiful attempts at defense (got better late)
TK = looked really good offensively—he can score on anyone in the country and grabbed boards (8). He needs to grab even more tbh.
Other than two badly missed 3's (never need to see another one) he shot ONE shot that wasnt a right handed hook shot over his left shoulder. Time after time. Just like last year. The one other shot: A left handed hook shot. That was nice to see. He does look strong and competent, but wheres that amazing footwork we used to see??? Jumper and free throw form look pretty bad. He's never going to be all Big 10 if he can't hit a 15" shot. Good, but i'd hoped for more. But also only 1 game and against a real stud on D so there's plenty left to show.
Loyer = automatic from 3 if left open and played good defense.
Shot looked great. Their guards were killing us anytime our Frosh guards weren't in the game. I think maybe this is one of those areas where we watched different games.

Braden = hunted his shot and was super aggressive on offense—looked like his highlights from HS. His shot looked even better than last year and his defense was much improved too.

Um. Oh....! No. Braden and Fletch got beat like drums by Creightons guards. Freshmen played more than most expected because we couldn't stop the penetration OR cover them on outside shots. Defense was pretty bad. Again, maybe watching that other game. Shot looked great....... didn't LOVE him shooting over passing to OPEN guys with shorter shots. Gonna be very very good for sure. How many assists?
Furst = disappointing.
Sadly, yes. But again, that's as good a center as they're going to face.
DJ = Frosh who played the best big in the country. Realized he can’t just use his height to save himself on defense. Will need to use his bass/weight to defend, as well as moving his feet. He will adjust to the speed, but may take until conference . Very encouraged by him not hesitating and knocking down the 3 for his first shot as a boiler and then hitting some big free throws at the end of the game.
Were some positives, not afraid to shoot it. Games moving fast for him right now. Lost his man backdoor multiple times and wasn't quick enough on the hedge to help when other guys got beat. Agreed it will take a while to get him up to speed. Shot altering is there, IF he's in the play and not a step late getting there.
Harris = got a bad whistle last night imo, but looked super comfortable out there already. He’s going to be good on both sides of the ball but his role this year will be guarding the best guard/wing.

Very impressed with him. I think he and Cox play more than ANYONE expected if Fletch/Braden can't D up better than what we saw.
Cox = a freakin defensive menace and offensive bucket (won’t be his role this year). He gave the 26 year old Pg for Creighton fits and stole it from him that made Ashworth intentionally foul him/they gave a flagrant 1. He will also guard the best wing/guard when needed. He looked super confident stepping into his mid range and knocking it down.
Yep, we saw the same game here.
Heide = hopefully he didn’t play much due to painter wanting to see the Frosh but a bit concerning. Didn’t show much
Yeah, but he's still going to be an "opportunity" guy and show up some games and not others. Hopefully more with more consistant minutes. But definitely in the "didn't see much difference" catagory for this game.
Colvin = also concerning he didn’t see much time, but his shot looked smooth and his defense looked very much improved where he’s not going to be a liability. His athleticism is off the charts still and he showed that with the chase down block.
agreed
Burgess = man I wish we could get him more mins. Hope he plays over furst to get developed and get used to the speed of the game.
agreed on more minutes. Not over Furst FOR NOW as we saw WAY lots of Freshmen mistakes and going to be playing 3 of them as it is.

Other than two badly missed 3's (never need to see another one) he shot ONE shot that wasnt a right handed hook shot over his left shoulder. Time after time. Just like last year. The one other shot: A left handed hook shot. That was nice to see. He does look strong and competent, but wheres that amazing footwork we used to see??? Jumper and free throw form look pretty bad. He's never going to be all Big 10 if he can't hit a 15" shot. Good, but i'd hoped for more. But also only 1 game and against a real stud on D so there's plenty left to show.

Shot looked great. Their guards were killing us anytime our Frosh guards weren't in the game. I think maybe this is one of those areas where we watched different games.

Um. Oh....! No. Braden and Fletch got beat like drums by Creightons guards. Freshmen played more than most expected because we couldn't stop the penetration OR cover them on outside shots. Defense was pretty bad. Again, maybe watching that other game. Shot looked great....... didn't LOVE him shooting over passing to OPEN guys with shorter shots. Gonna be very very good for sure. How many assists?
TK hit a 20 footer over Kalk. He can score against anyone in the country, as he showed vs the best big In the country this year and had to go against Zach the last 2 years—who Braden said in an interview was getting beat by TK all the time. TK isn’t going to be blowing by guys and dunking on them. He’s got moves for days—pump fakes, up and unders, finishing with either hand, spin moves that puts guys in a spin cycle. Then he can hit the 15-20 footer. He will be challenged no doubt, to do just that. He can hit a 3 but not his game but he worked on shooting mechanics all offseason.

Braden-I want Braden shooting those shots over anyone on the team unless Fletch is the one wide open. He’s our best offensive weapon and shooter (he’s one of the tops in the nation). His assists may dip a bit but scoring will go up, as that is what paint and Pj have stressed to him over the last 2 years. He is our best player and offense will run through him. I trust his shot over anyone, unless it’s Loyer open from 3 and of course anyone with a wide open dunk/layup.

And not sure I saw their guards ALWAYS beating our guards when Frosh guards weren’t in….

Reactions: BBG
I completely forgot about him. T. J. McConnell is another one.....

donald trump rnc GIF by Election 2016
I think bankshot was speaking about 6 ft guards drafted in first round, tho.

Dillingham measured in at 6’1 and 6’3 wingspan…Sheppard similar stats.

Marcus sasser 6’1.25 but has 6’7 wing span

Smith id say is prob closer to 5’10 but has a 6.5 ft wingspan.

Smith needs to show he can guard this year and then if he can add that, the only thing left I see is him being able to go create his own shot at any time and hit deep 3s. Obv easier said than done…and doesn’t necessarily have to have the deep 3 part.

He’d have to really be dominant and we’d have a great year, which would be great, but I’d assume he will be back for one more.
Why would team being great be necessary for him going pro or attracting their attention? Don’think pros care

Why would team being great be necessary for him going pro or attracting their attention? Don’think pros care
If smith is great this year = Purdue will more than likely be great. Not saying nba cares about that, more so I’d be all for it. If he’s not a guaranteed first rounder, then he will be back…or at least should be.

And you blindly believed him? Have I got a political candidate for you!
I'm not sure why you are fighting this so much. There are good reasons to go into a practice game without scouting. You can really learn a lot from watching your team play raw to figure out what needs to improve.

Exactly but Wole gonna Wole and makeup something in his head and call us mean.
Like I said, you believe everything you hear in a press conference after the game? I thought you were smarter than that. What Painter said at his press conference is coach speak. He’s not going to throw his players under the bus. He’s going to take all the blame. Creighton was exactly who he thought they were. Our team just wasn’t prepared enough. And looking back at previous Painter press conferences, he’s going to take the blame And will never reveal publicly why certain players didn’t receive playing time? How many times has Painter said after the fact I should have played player x more, And each time he says it, you actually believe him! A famous person once said if you lie loud enough and long enough, people will believe the lies. What you heard was coach speak and you believed it. It’s like listening to Walters after a football game. Are you going to tell me you believe Walters too? And you can’t see through his words for what they are? It’s just coach talk! And you drank the kool aide

I'm not sure why you are fighting this so much. There are good reasons to go into a practice game without scouting. You can really learn a lot from watching your team play raw to figure out what needs to improve.
I don’t believe painter is the type of coach who would go into any game without due preparation!

Fred VanVleet, Chris Paul, Mike Conley, Kyle Lowry, Jose Alvarado, Jordan McLauglin, Aaron Holiday and Davion Mitchell.
Van Vleet: is 6 foot, but went undrafted after his senior year and Wichita State going through an undefeated regular season(Final Four the prior year)

Chris Paul: 6 foot, drafted 4th in 2005 after his sophomore year.

Mike Conley: Also 6ft, drafted 4th in 2007 after his freshman year.

Kyle Lowry: Also 6ft, drafted 24th in 2006 after his sophomore year.

Jose Alvarado: 6ft, undrafted in 2021 after his senior year.

Jordan McLaughlin: 6 ft, undrafted in 2018 after his senior year.

Aaron Holiday: 6 ft, 23rd in 2018 after his junior year.

Davion Mitchell: 6 ft, 9th in 2021 after his redshirt junior year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT