ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue's defense...

Jan 27, 2010
Ok so there's a lot of Vol fans that are worried that Purdue will run a zone defense because we struggle with it so much. Can you clear it up for us. How much zone does Purdue run? You guys are strictly man-to-man right?

Purdue runs zero zone because we really don't need to. That being said there are certain aspects of zone in our D somewhat with the help defense we bring at times.

Reactions: tjreese
Are you trying to start something here? Lol

No, Purdue has not run zone in the Painter era, and I doubt they will. Definitely not for a single game.

We definitely play generous help/man defense, and we've even toyed with allowing our center to play a single man zone near the basket when we know the other team's big can't shoot. That's as close as I think we'll ever get though.

Reactions: tjreese
Our fans are scared to death you guys will run a zone lol. It has been our biggest weakness all year facing a team that runs it. It's like our players have never played against it or something and can't figure it out. Pretty much every loss or big lead we have lost year has came from a team at switching to a zone.

Our fans are scared to death you guys will run a zone lol. It has been our biggest weakness all year facing a team that runs it. It's like our players have never played against it or something and can't figure it out. Pretty much every loss or big lead we have lost year has came from a team at switching to a zone.
Don't listen to those other posts ... zone is ALL we run ... every second of every game .. we practice it non-stop, we hardly put any time into practicing an offense. We let our zone create our offense ... we even send our guys to camp at Syracuse for a week in the summer.

Don't listen to those other posts ... zone is ALL we run ... every second of every game .. we practice it non-stop, we hardly put any time into practicing an offense. We let our zone create our offense ... we even send our guys to camp at Syracuse for a week in the summer.
Lol don't even joke about that. We were all scared s***less that we'd be matched up with Syracuse in the first round on Selection Sunday. We do not like facing zone.

Iowa had no choice because their man has been horrendous all year long. Maybe that was a happy accident for them. My biggest worry is Williams overpowering Eifert/Wheeler forced my the double team and and that opening up your shooters.

If we lose, come back and see how many people are upset that we don’t play a zone.
It’s quite the controversy around here.

I have comments already written in the event we lose and I can blame it on Painter for not running a zone. I'm sure I'll come up with other things I can blame on Painter well, such as:

1) He doesn't dress as well as Wright, and all of the other legendary coaches.
2). He practiced them too hard the week before the game.
3) . He told Carsen to take every open 35 footer he could.
4). He asked Wheeler to get into foul trouble.
5). I'm sure something else will come up.

On the one hand, Painter has run a zone defense for one game in his time at Purdue. (Against Kansas State a few years ago in one of those early-season tourneys. They kicked our ass, and Painter probably kicked himself for even trying it.)

On the other hand, our man-to-man has enough zone principles in it that this year KenPom thinks Purdue is a zone team based on our statistical profile. We are much better at defending the 2 than the 3.

Purdue's defense has been trending in the right direction over the course of the season. In the past month, T-Rank says we're the 18th best defense in the country.

This game will come down to whether Tennessee can get our bigs in foul trouble and whether they can hit threes. If they do both, we're in trouble. If not, I like our chances.

My biggest worry is Williams overpowering Eifert
I'm not so sure if we don't let Grady do the best he can on Williams. Let him get his and shut down everyone else. He scored 43 against Vanderbilt and I think the game went to overtime.

Lol don't even joke about that. We were all scared s***less that we'd be matched up with Syracuse in the first round on Selection Sunday. We do not like facing zone.
There is not a man defensive team today that I'm aware that doesn't employ elements of a zone in their man defense...not a team. That said there are many zone teams that employ elements of man D in their zone. There are teams that try to bring the two approaches together in a match-up zone and teams that elevate that (match up) a bit more by selective switching. Still, it didn't take a few million years for the evolution of basketball defense... ;)

On the one hand, Painter has run a zone defense for one game in his time at Purdue. (Against Kansas State a few years ago in one of those early-season tourneys. They kicked our ass, and Painter probably kicked himself for even trying it.)

On the other hand, our man-to-man has enough zone principles in it that this year KenPom thinks Purdue is a zone team based on our statistical profile. We are much better at defending the 2 than the 3.

Purdue's defense has been trending in the right direction over the course of the season. In the past month, T-Rank says we're the 18th best defense in the country.

This game will come down to whether Tennessee can get our bigs in foul trouble and whether they can hit threes. If they do both, we're in trouble. If not, I like our chances.
He ran it for more than one game, but not many. KSU ate it alive on the left short corner as Purdue was REALLY wide in their alignment. Additionally, part of the problem was how AJ was used on the triggerman under the basket and I think it was Northern Florida???? that took advantage of that and beat Purdue at Mackey due to AJ retreating to the middle of the zone and the triggerman getting the pass back for a baseline 3. Think that may have been the last game. ;)

Reactions: boilerHup
There is not a man defensive team today that I'm aware that doesn't employ elements of a zone in their man defense...not a team. That said there are many zone teams that employ elements of man D in their zone. There are teams that try to bring the two approaches together in a match-up zone and teams that elevate that (match up) a bit more by selective switching. Still, it didn't take a few million years for the evolution of basketball defense... ;)

Exactly right. Also, I'm not one of the apparent hordes of Tennessee fans, nor do I know any, that are scared to death of people playing zone against us. We've faced it numerous times this year and done fine for the most part.

Where we struggle, regardless of zone or man, is if a team simply just drops off in the paint and clogs the middle where our bigs can't work. We then tend to settle for way too many threes and also quit moving without the ball.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Exactly right. Also, I'm not one of the apparent hordes of Tennessee fans, nor do I know any, that are scared to death of people playing zone against us. We've faced it numerous times this year and done fine for the most part.

Where we struggle, regardless of zone or man, is if a team simply just drops off in the paint and clogs the middle where our bigs can't work. We then tend to settle for way too many threes and also quit moving without the ball.

Wow, this post sounds so eerily familiar to what Purdue use to look like. When our offense ran through the post (Hammons, Swanigan or Haas), this is the EXACT same thing people use to complain about. MOVE!

Without you saying anything that is exactly what I think Purdue will do, BUT Tenn drops in a few 3s and the ball game changes. Tenn will pressure the perimeter on Purdue and try to take away the three possible switching on horizontal screens (similar players), but maybe not vertical screens. That said I don't know if Tenn will be as aggressive as Nova was in fronting the post and/or aggressive hedging.

There will be adjustments depending on what is working for one team, but we hope those adjustments are not due to bad calls or LACK of calls either as that could affect either team more than the other...

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Wow, this post sounds so eerily familiar to what Purdue use to look like. When our offense ran through the post (Hammons, Swanigan or Haas), this is the EXACT same thing people use to complain about. MOVE!
Only in reading what I have since I don't know TEnn very well I would say thier team is not like AJ or Haas, but more like Swanigan in that they can shoot out a bit (probably not like as far out as Biggie typically), post up and drive the ball

I'm not so sure if we don't let Grady do the best he can on Williams. Let him get his and shut down everyone else. He scored 43 against Vanderbilt and I think the game went to overtime.
Yes he scored 23/23 from the line that game. Vandy kind of exposed our defense on how bad we can be at switching off of screens, stopping the penetrating and dishing the ball out, and how weak our perimeter defense can be.

Without you saying anything that is exactly what I think Purdue will do, BUT Tenn drops in a few 3s and the ball game changes. Tenn will pressure the perimeter on Purdue and try to take away the three possible switching on horizontal screens (similar players), but maybe not vertical screens. That said I don't know if Tenn will be as aggressive as Nova was in fronting the post and/or aggressive hedging.

There will be adjustments depending on what is working for one team, but we hope those adjustments are not due to bad calls or LACK of calls either as that could affect either team more than the other...

I agree with this completely. I see Tennessee hard hedging ball screens to begin. Although, I wish we would just trap Edwards on a ball screen, guard Cline and let the other open wing take the shot; however, I seriously doubt that will happen.

It's one of the biggest reasons that Colgate and Iowa got back into the game. They switched to zone and it caused a lot of turnovers.

It's one of the biggest reasons that Colgate and Iowa got back into the game. They switched to zone and it caused a lot of turnovers.

Iowa played zone almost the entire first half. Also, they played almost exclusively man in the second half (see almost every turnover in the second half we were running our motion against their man). They switched to their 3-2 zone on the last possession in regulation, but they were almost exclusively man in the second half.

This nugget of competitive intelligence has to be immediately escalated to the highest basketball powers at Purdue. We now know exactly how to win this game. Can we alert the coaches to this critical insight in time? What will happen to the team if we don't? I see only misery and despair if we fail to act! Does someone have Coach Painter's home number? Get on the line and convince him to switch our entire defensive scheme.

Now that we have this amazing insight, it would only be fair to share our own team's glaring weakness. Our opponents may not realize that if our starting 5 players foul out of the game, we will be left with only the bench to continue playing. Purdue has never (in the Painter era) won a game, not even a single one, in which our starting 5 foul out. There you have it. Be sure to start agitating to focus on this strategy and Purdue will struggle. Good luck tomorrow night!

CoBo

hmmmm ... where have I seen this scenario???

Iowa played zone almost the entire first half. Also, they played almost exclusively man in the second half (see almost every turnover in the second half we were running our motion against their man). They switched to their 3-2 zone on the last possession in regulation, but they were almost exclusively man in the second half.
Holy Hell ... you run that antiquated MOTION offense??? I'm sure several on here have said we were the only team left who did that. ... Someone's not telling the truth???

Ok so there's a lot of Vol fans that are worried that Purdue will run a zone defense because we struggle with it so much. Can you clear it up for us. How much zone does Purdue run? You guys are strictly man-to-man right?
We zone out at times. Is that what you mean?

I agree with this completely. I see Tennessee hard hedging ball screens to begin. Although, I wish we would just trap Edwards on a ball screen, guard Cline and let the other open wing take the shot; however, I seriously doubt that will happen.
That is essentially how I would be tempted to guard us. Double Carsen with the Eastern/Hunter defender as soon as he gets the ball with 30 feet of the hoop. Force him to pass and frustrate him by keeping two guys on him while trying to get the ball back. Protect the rim with your bigs and force the other guards to make shot after shot.

That’s a valid approach. If Grady can just make him work for it without getting into foul trouble. I think Grady may get open on a offense as Williams will need to help down low.

Reactions: Fansince72
That is essentially how I would be tempted to guard us. Double Carsen with the Eastern/Hunter defender as soon as he gets the ball with 30 feet of the hoop. Force him to pass and frustrate him by keeping two guys on him while trying to get the ball back. Protect the rim with your bigs and force the other guards to make shot after shot.

Right, and it would possibly allow us to dictate to you guys more than letting Edwards dictate to us what happens.

I see you guys just doubling down in the paint and saying, "Beat us from outside." That's what I would do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT