Other Projected Regulars:

Purdue:

1 #1 Johnny Hill 6'2 180 Sr.

2 #14 Ryan Cline 6'5 180 Fr.

2/3 #21 Kendall Stephens 6'7 195 Jr.

5 #20 A.J. Hammons 7'0 250 Sr.

Who Might Play:

Purdue:

2 #35 Rapheal Davis 6'5 215 Sr. (recovering from sprained MCL)

4/5 #23 Jacquil Taylor 6'10 230 Fr.

(tbc)

I kind of doubt Pitt scores more than 70. Our D should be better than that. Slow the game down, pound the shit out them in the paint and cruise to victory. They have nothing for AJH and Haas. This is basically like playing iu. They will have to shoot the lights out from 3 to keep up.

Reactions: pboiler18
I'm enjoying the confidence on your board. Usually when I lurk on opponents' boards, it's with one eye open because there's a lot of skepticism, hate, immaturity, etc.

I would say that most Pitt fans are cautiously optimistic at this point. There is a lot to like. We play 8 guys that are at least Juniors (plus 4 others that are Fr-So). We are legitimately deep and experienced. The players know what they're doing, and you rarely see the typical bonehead plays you see from most college teams.

But as I said on the other thread, we don't truly have an identity yet. The players' skills would be best suited for an uptempo, outside shooting game; however, that's not how Coach Dixon generally coaches. Furthermore, there are a lot of new faces. We're 4 1/2 games into a season in which half the team is new. Assuming this is a close game down the stretch, it'll be interesting to see how the team responds, and who will be the aggressor on offense.

Win or lose, it'll be a good game for our group to experience together. Hopefully they respond well, but it's too early to have any true predictions or expectations. 74-70 Pitt. Hard to win at the Pete. Good luck!

This game scares me. Its going to be tough. Here's a link to their site and a scouting report of their team. They are pretty confident.

http://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/scouting-report.38939/

I just hope we come back to WL with a win and no injuries.

Wow, they are definitely confident over there; thanks for posting that link.

I really hope Davis can go...it sounds like Biggie may struggle to defend their 4, so I'm looking forward to see how Painter responds...I guess we'll see if VE plays a bit more of the 4?

If Purdue has a shooting performance like it did against Lehigh, it won't win this game. If Purdue handles Pitt's pressure, runs the O through the post, and hits 35% + from three, I think Purdue pulls this one out.

I think this will be our first close game. If we are hitting from 3, we'll win. If not, then it depends on just how good our D is and how dominant our big guys are in the paint. My guess: 79 - 73 Purdue

It should be a good game.

I expect to sweat it out for the first 30 minutes and grin continuously for the final 10.

Here's hoping Ray is good to go.

I think this will be our first close game. If we are hitting from 3, we'll win. If not, then it depends on just how good our D is and how dominant our big guys are in the paint. My guess: 79 - 73 Purdue
I agree with this. If 3s are dropping, we pull it out in the end for a relatively comfortable win. If not, I hope the game isn't close going into the last couple minutes. It easily can be.

So what was Florida? chopped liver?
Looks like Davis won't play + first hostile environment + playing the best team on the schedule so far means a loss more than likely. I think we will be in the game until about 8 minutes left then Pitt makes some shots and the ball sticks in our hands on offense. Without Davis we don't have enough maturity to pull out a win with the factors I mentioned above. With all that said, I rather Davis sit out and get 105% healthy rather than risk a full blowed MCL tear on a somewhat meaningless game in Dec.

Looks like Davis won't play + first hostile environment + playing the best team on the schedule so far means a loss more than likely. I think we will be in the game until about 8 minutes left then Pitt makes some shots and the ball sticks in our hands on offense. Without Davis we don't have enough maturity to pull out a win with the factors I mentioned above. With all that said, I rather Davis sit out and get 105% healthy rather than risk a full blowed MCL tear on a somewhat meaningless game in Dec.
why does it look like Davis won't play? You aren't assuming the ESPN data is correct are you? I mean it might be, but suspect this is a game day thing. If he doesn't play Purdue can still pull it out and it would force some leadership on the floor. Could be a good thing in the long run

We can win without Davis. Vince seems to be the next leader in this team and could use some experience at that.

I would prefer Ray get to 100% over a win in December as well. I'm not sure about 105%. But I alos have no clue as to what type of bionics are being developed on campus either.

We can win without Davis. Vince seems to be the next leader in this team and could use some experience at that.

I would prefer Ray get to 100% over a win in December as well. I'm not sure about 105%. But I alos have no clue as to what type of bionics are being developed on campus either.

You guys don't have any clue what Ray's been up to lately, do you? This shit just got real....
th

Hell, they are putting the same stuff in his arm too........and he didn't even need it!
th

Just planning for the worst and hoping for the best. I should point out that while I don't think we will without Davis, we certain can still pull it out. Just don't think it will happen.

w/out Daivs: Pitt 67 Purdue 54
w/ a 105% Davis: Purdue 75 Pitt 65

Why the negativity from so many, while I don't think this will be a cake walk , I don't think Pitt is a juggernaut that will shut us down. We have plenty of experience, and weapons, and Pitt hasn't really played anyone (St. Joes, Det, Cornell & Kent State) either, they also gave up 76+ pts to Cornell & Kent. Just bc biggie plays the 4 doesn't mean he has to cover the 4. Painter had to strategize all the time with Moore his freshman & soph. years on who he was going to cover b/c he wasn't a strong defender early on. Purdue is deep both with Outside shoots and & Inside play, so Pitt has is going to have to play some lights out defense. I think it will be a good game either way, but it either teams to win or lose. I just don't want Davis coming back early and risking further injury.

We win a close game with Ray, lose a close game without Ray that's my prediction.

On paper it appears they have a nice offense and can hit from deep.

Don't like our chances without Ray Davis. Pitt is good.

The Peterson Center is kind of the anti-Mackey. Pretty new and very nice.

Not as hostile as a standard big ten road game though. If we lose its because Pitt is pretty good, not because the Boilers were overwhelmed by the environment.

With or without Ray, this is gonna be a dogfight right down to the last couple possessions. If either side thinks it will pull away to a comfortable win, that's ridiculous. It could happen, but I would be very, very surprised. I see an in-the-pit dogfight.

With or without Ray, this is gonna be a dogfight right down to the last couple possessions. If either side thinks it will pull away to a comfortable win, that's ridiculous. It could happen, but I would be very, very surprised. I see an in-the-pit dogfight.

Well put.......

Pitt is receiving top 25 votes so, a loss is not a big ordeal. With or without Ray I like our chances our balanced offense provide. Obviously if we miss open looks and commit dumb fouls we could be in for a long night like against Vandy last year.

When: Tomorrow

Where: Petersen Events Center, Pittsburgh, PA

Tip-Off: 9 PM

TV: ESPN2

Head Coaches:

Purdue: Matt Painter (11th season)

Pittsburgh: Jamie Dixon (13th season)

Projected Starters:

Purdue:

1 #3 P.J. Thompson 5'9 175 So.

2 #31 Dakota Mathias 6'4 190 So.

3 #12 Vince Edwards 6'8 220 So.

4 #50 Caleb Swanigan 6'9 245 Fr.

5 #44 Isaac Haas 7'2 280 So.

Purdue:

Who Might Play:

Purdue:

(tbc)

I think this game will be a dog fight and whoever comes to win will win. Seems obvious, but the times we come into games thinking "they have no answer for the paint", etc. - thinking we'll be fine, that's when we struggle. We have to show up with confidence, not an expectation. And I'd love to see a killer instinct.

A couple of the red flags from the Florida game (and some others)….

-Scoring Droughts. You can get away with these at home or on neutral courts, but they can absolutely kill you on the road. We had a couple of these against Florida that let them back into the game.

-Free throws. We had a shaky first half against Florida, but closed out strong. In addition, getting to the free throw line. Sometimes Hammons struggles at drawing fouls cause he pulls away from contact. We should be getting to the line more than our opponent.

-Turnovers. We had 13 against Florida. Not horrible, but not good. Taking care of the basketball was an issue that we had even after our turnaround last season.

-Rebounding. Against Lehigh, we were getting out rebounded at halftime. We have to win the rebounding battle.

Agree 100%...this will either be a learning experience for the team or confirmation that the team is listening to the coaches, there is on court leadership, and the players arent buying into the hype.

Im ready for a good game tomorrow against a top 30 opponent!

I respect everyone's opinion, and hesitation, toward this game, but son of a b*tch PU is #11 in the country........so you back that up by going into Pitt and beating some ass. You want to be in that "next" level conversation? then you go into that environment with a smile on your face and take the gloves off!! Certainly anybody can lose on a given night, but the team that PU has this year should be ready to talk the talk and walk the walk......no losses allowed. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...........BTFU!!!!

It seems to me that Pitt is about as good as Florida. Florida is a good team but we played very well. IF Purdue went to Florida and did not play their best they could lose there too. It they go in there and play really tough we will probably win but somebody (likely Stevens) will have to play some good defense on Pitts 3.
I think we could see AJ and Haas in at the same time if CS cannot handle their power forward. Do you think CS is a better defender than AJ on a talented PF? I really liked that assist AJ got in the Florida game to CS on the low post. He could make the same pass to Haas

Reactions: WarBoiler44
Purdue is the better team. Prediction:

No Davis: Purdue wins 85-75. Haas and Hammons feast.
With Davis: Purdue wins 88-70. Haas and Hammons feast.

Hostile environment, schmostile environment.

Last edited:
Win or lose, it will be good prep for both teams getting ready for conference play, and beyond.

Reactions: Boiler Wolf
When: Tomorrow

Where: Petersen Events Center, Pittsburgh, PA

Tip-Off: 9 PM

TV: ESPN2

Head Coaches:

Purdue: Matt Painter (11th season)

Pittsburgh: Jamie Dixon (13th season)

Projected Starters:

Purdue:

1 #3 P.J. Thompson 5'9 175 So.

2 #31 Dakota Mathias 6'4 190 So.

3 #12 Vince Edwards 6'8 220 So.

4 #50 Caleb Swanigan 6'9 245 Fr.

5 #44 Isaac Haas 7'2 280 So.

Purdue:

Who Might Play:

Purdue:

(tbc)

The most important, & first thing Purdue must guard against/stop/limit, is the fast break opportunities by Pitt. Second most important thing Purdue must control, is the Pitt guards getting too many open looks [without fouling them], especially 3 looks. The third most important factor Purdue must control/limit by Pitt, is offensive rebounds. If Purdue wins those 3 battles, limits turnovers, & shoots around 70% from the line, we should win, with or without RD.

"A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link."

Go Boilers!!!

Wow, they are definitely confident over there; thanks for posting that link.

Fanbases tend to be overconfident when their team is undefeated

ODU was 3-0 when they faced us, and every single ODU fan on their board picked their team to win. Result: we won by 22

Florida was 3-0 when they faced us, and most Florida fans picked their team to win. Result: we won by 15

If Davis is back at 100%, I predict a double digit win

Without a healthy Davis, it's a pick 'em. Perhaps even more important than the W, it will be an important learning experience for the team to learn how to win without the most important leader of the Painter era.

Thoughts off the top of my head

- This is the kind of game where you think Smotherman might get starter's minutes.

- Without Davis, we need either Swan or Stephens to step up on D. Stephens if he really wants to be an NBA player, should learn to play lockdown D. Could also be a big learning moment for Swan

- If Davis is out, AJ will play a lot as in more than 30 minutes

Last edited:
Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Really surprised by the lack of confidence here. Pitt is decent, but not special. Probably a fringe tournament team when it's all said and done. Purdue has a special team, size, shooting and great defense even without Ray. I think we win with or without him.

Reactions: BleedinGold
Just planning for the worst and hoping for the best. I should point out that while I don't think we will without Davis, we certain can still pull it out. Just don't think it will happen.

w/out Daivs: Pitt 67 Purdue 54
w/ a 105% Davis: Purdue 75 Pitt 65

Davis does not provide a 19 point boost to our offense. Not even close. I think you have underestimated his effect on the defense and way overestimated his effect on the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT