ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. Pittsburgh

Pitt has one of most disgusting fanbases in all of college sports. Completely insecure and classless. The vitriol they spew towards PSU on a daily basis RE everything is laughable. They are the most pathetic "little brother" in all of college athletics, and are nothing more than a glorified Metro school with a bigger endowment.

Also, I say we face rowdier "home courts" on a nightly basis in the B1G. Pitts home court is supposed to be any more difficult!?!? Really?!? lol...no.

Looking forward to shutting up the sPitt fans tonight.

Reactions: PSU/B1G
Pitt has one of most disgusting fanbases in all of college sports. Completely insecure and classless. The vitriol they spew towards PSU on a daily basis RE everything is laughable. They are the most pathetic "little brother" in all of college athletics, and are nothing more than a glorified Metro school with a bigger endowment.

Also, I say we face rowdier "home courts" on a nightly basis in the B1G. Pitts home court is supposed to be any more difficult!?!? Really?!? lol...no.

Looking forward to shutting up the sPitt fans tonight.

Oh give it a rest. Our students are fine, and every school has classless alumni.

Like when we honored Dean Smith at the zoo? Totally disgusting, right. Please...

Davis does not provide a 19 point boost to our offense. Not even close. I think you have underestimated his effect on the defense and way overestimated his effect on the offense.

I agree with Quad here. We may need a leader to step up if he is absent, but i expect him to play. He is a competitor. I also expect a win either way. This is a much needed trip to a hostile environment.

my only worries with Pitt are the following:

1) They have 8 guys 6ft 7in or taller to throw at Haas, Hammons, Edwards, Taylor and Biggie.
*Note: Painter needs to not hesitate to play Taylor for depth in this game against bench of Pitt.

2) Because they have height, we need to first, make our shots, take good one's.

3) Because they have height, we need to box out and rebound on both ends.......

4) If they use depth and hack our big guys....hit the free throws and make them pay.

Keys:
Hit # pointers and take good shots, use our Depth, continue to hit Free Throws and rebound, rebound, rebound.....making the most of our possessions will be key with rebounding being even.

Again I think Purdue wins with or without Davis...PU 72 Pitt 64...Boiler Up!

Reactions: WarBoiler44
This will be our toughest OOC test. I honestly think it's a toss up but a loss won't hurt much in the big picture (especially w/o Ray). May even provide more motivation for Butler and Vandy.

With Ray out, I think it'll be a closer, slightly higher scoring game. I will still say we win: 83 - 81

This will be our toughest OOC test. I honestly think it's a toss up but a loss won't hurt much in the big picture (especially w/o Ray). May even provide more motivation for Butler and Vandy.

The biggest motivation we can have for Vandy and Butler is to walk into those games undefeated and a top 10 ranking.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Pittsburgh is 121-4 on home court, those are Wisc numbers, lets make it 121-5!

Boiler Up!

This is not true. They lost 4 times last year alone, and 12 in the last 3 years.

They are talking about their non conference record when this stat is mentioned. The last time they played a ranked team at home in non-conference? 2010 vs #11 Tennessee. UT won.

They play cupcake city in the non-conference at home. They take care of business against them, but Purdue isn't a cupcake.

Pitt is 3-5 vs ranked teams the last 3 years at home. Purdue is a power 5 team and is ranked. This stat is much more comparable to tonights game then some phantom 121-4 non conference home record in which the competition level played isn't much better than the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants basketball squad.

This is not true. They lost 4 times last year alone, and 12 in the last 3 years.

They are talking about their non conference record when this stat is mentioned. The last time they played a ranked team at home in non-conference? 2010 vs #11 Tennessee. UT won.

They play cupcake city in the non-conference at home. They take care of business against them, but Purdue isn't a cupcake.

Pitt is 3-5 vs ranked teams the last 3 years at home. Purdue is a power 5 team and is ranked. This stat is much more comparable to tonights game then some phantom 121-4 non conference home record in which the competition level played isn't much better than the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants basketball squad.

FYI that Tennessee game was not at the Pete.. It was in Pittsburgh but a game that was part of a tournament in which multiple teams were allotted tickets... Overall record at home is 212-30

80-68 Purdue. I have more confidence in this Purdue team than I have in years. We are deep enough even if Davis can't play.

FYI that Tennessee game was not at the Pete.. It was in Pittsburgh but a game that was part of a tournament in which multiple teams were allotted tickets... Overall record at home is 212-30

Yeah I'm not saying it's not a solid venue or home court, but people keep quoting this mythical 121-4 stat as if it's comparative for tonight's game. The reality is that its not at all. They were comparing it to Wisconsin who actually had a similar record at home but that included every team (conference, ranked games, etc) not just the non conference cupcakes that Power 5 teams all schedule.

121-4 is a 97% winning percentage. Very good, but that's against the cream of the poop and doesn't really matter tonight.

If you're 212-30 at home then it sounds like Pitt is more like 91-26 against meaningful Power 5 quality opponents (77.7% WP). That includes the bottom feeders from the Big East and ACC.

Looking at just the ranked teams we'd have to dig further than I did, but recent history (last 3 years), Pitt is 3-5 at home vs ranked teams (37.5% WP).

I'm not saying Pitt doesn't have a very good chance tonight. They do, but there have been some posters that were under the impression that the ZOO was some place that teams walked out of with a loss a majority of the time. The reality, based on recent history, is a ranked team will come out of with a win over 62% of the time.

Last edited:
what is the state that 25% of Wiscy's home losses are from Purdue...or something like that. I like this team and can't wait for the game!

Going to be close to close for me to call without Davis especially
With Davis out, Pitt is now a one point favorite. It will be a very tough road challenge.

I also view it as an opportunity for other players to step up, however. It might make Purdue stronger in the long run.

Would be good for us to struggle. Let's develop some mental toughness in the other kids. Nothing like a loss to sharpen focus. We will be better for it when Davis returns.

Better yet, let's show toughness right off that bat and get a win!

Reactions: proudopete
We have veteran leadership in Hammonds and Edwards who has been working with Davis to take over the reigns. We need everyone to keep calm and play there game! Im pumped for this game!

Well I've pulled out the #21 away jersey.

Good things happen when I wear it so...

I should probably wear it more often. But I want it to be special.

Reactions: punaj
Yeah I'm not saying it's not a solid venue or home court, but people keep quoting this mythical 121-4 stat as if it's comparative for tonight's game. The reality is that its not at all. They were comparing it to Wisconsin who actually had a similar record at home but that included every team (conference, ranked games, etc) not just the non conference cupcakes that Power 5 teams all schedule.

121-4 is a 97% winning percentage. Very good, but that's against the cream of the poop and doesn't really matter tonight.

If you're 212-30 at home then it sounds like Pitt is more like 91-26 against meaningful Power 5 quality opponents (77.7% WP). That includes the bottom feeders from the Big East and ACC.

Looking at just the ranked teams we'd have to dig further than I did, but recent history (last 3 years), Pitt is 3-5 at home vs ranked teams (37.5% WP).

I'm not saying Pitt doesn't have a very good chance tonight. They do, but there have been some posters that were under the impression that the ZOO was some place that teams walked out of with a loss a majority of the time. The reality, based on recent history, is a ranked team will come out of with a win over 62% of the time.

This should clear it up

Where Top 5 teams go to die, The Oakland Zoo

Pitt is 10-1 against Top 5 Ranked teams in the country at the Zoo since it opened, best by a landslide in division 1 basketball.

https://oaklandzoofans.wordpress.com/2011/12/15/welcome-to-the-zoo-the-only-way-out-losing/

The Peterson Events Center is one of the toughest places to play in America for a visiting opponent” – Dave O’Brien, ESPN

“One of the great spectacles in all of college basketball…the Oakland Zoo”- Bill Raftery

“These fans are unbelievable. They’re rowdy, loud and proud. That’s the way you want your fans to be” – Mark Cuban, Dallas Mavericks owner.

“The students in the Oakland Zoo make the Peterson Events Center an absolutely brutal place to play” – Dan Daitchmen, Collegehoops.net

“The Panthers have become mission impossible for any visiting team in this gorgeous on-campus arena” – Dick Weiss, NY Daily News

“Whatever the roster, regardless of the circumstances, when you enter the Petersen Events Center with a top five ranking you exit with a loss. No exceptions.” – Gary Parrish, CBS Sports

“Pitt’s Peterson Events Center was voted the “Toughest Place to Play in the Big East again” by an anonymous poll of of league players conducted by Sports Illustrated”- SI

Pitt got voted toughest place to play in the Big East like 7 years in a row.

Man, can the dam game start yet.

This should clear it up

Pitt is 10-1 against Top 5 Ranked teams in the country at the Zoo since it opened, best by a landslide in division 1 basketball.

https://oaklandzoofans.wordpress.com/2011/12/15/welcome-to-the-zoo-the-only-way-out-losing/

The Peterson Events Center is one of the toughest places to play in America for a visiting opponent” – Dave O’Brien, ESPN

“One of the great spectacles in all of college basketball…the Oakland Zoo”- Bill Raftery

“These fans are unbelievable. They’re rowdy, loud and proud. That’s the way you want your fans to be” – Mark Cuban, Dallas Mavericks owner.

“The students in the Oakland Zoo make the Peterson Events Center an absolutely brutal place to play” – Dan Daitchmen, Collegehoops.net

“The Panthers have become mission impossible for any visiting team in this gorgeous on-campus arena” – Dick Weiss, NY Daily News

“Whatever the roster, regardless of the circumstances, when you enter the Petersen Events Center with a top five ranking you exit with a loss. No exceptions.” – Gary Parrish, CBS Sports

“Pitt’s Peterson Events Center was voted the “Toughest Place to Play in the Big East again” by an anonymous poll of of league players conducted by Sports Illustrated”- SI

Yes, we are all aware Pitt has sucked the last 3 years too. Not this year.

This is what frustrates me about Pitt fans :( sucked last 3 years? Making the tournament with 23 wins and losing to #1 overall Florida is grouped in a category of sucking, sign me up every year.. Good grief. Last year they won 19 and 3 years ago 20... Not tournament worth but if you say that is sucking what do you call 8-20.. Sucking is 8-20 .. But that's my opinion I guess.. Man were either spoiled or my definition of sucking , sucks lol

Oh well, go Pitt! On way to seats now !

This should clear it up

It's no assembly hall.
Thise fans want nothing more in life then to eat the Boilers when they come to town.

They spew racial slurs, run at players on the court when shooting and are at a constant frenzy state with the most dangerous weapons of all...the big heads.

But seriously. It should be a good game.

This team seems focused and on one page and one page only. It will be nice to see how they react to getting punched in the nose.

I still say Boilers win even without our senior leader and reigning B1G defensive player of the year.

It's no assembly hall.
Thise fans want nothing more in life then to eat the Boilers when they come to town.

They spew racial slurs, run at players on the court when shooting and are at a constant frenzy state with the most dangerous weapons of all...the big heads.

But seriously. It should be a good game.

This team seems focused and on one page and one page only. It will be nice to see how they react to getting punched in the nose.

I still say Boilers win even without our senior leader and reigning B1G defensive player of the year.

West Virginia takes the cake if you are looking to actually hurt someone. In this game at West Virginia, our assistant coach was hit in the face with a battery and Bob Huggins had to address the crowd.

If you are looking for actual crazy, European soccer fans are by far the most passionate / aggressive / crazy.

West Virginia takes the cake if you are looking to actually hurt someone. In this game at West Virginia, our assistant coach was hit in the face with a battery and Bob Huggins had to address the crowd.

If you are looking for actual crazy, European soccer fans are by far the most passionate / aggressive / crazy.
Never been to assembly hall, huh?

You guys should be a good test.

You already caught a break with our best defender being out.

Won't be long now and we shall see what happens.

Do you seriously play two 6'9" guys at center? That could be an issue.

Ha Ha....all good......

Love this team.......just hope we keep switching it up on offense so we are not predictable......

Keep going inside out and then outside in.......depending on what the defense gives us each possession.

We have the talent just need to hit the three when open like Cline and AJ Hammons did and then drive to the basket when jumpers are not falling.

Make the foul shot like they are doing......

Excited they are playing well on both ends and the fans are happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT