Projected Starters:

Purdue

1/2 #3 Carsen Edwards 6'0 190 So.

1/2 #11 P.J. Thompson 5'10 180 Sr.

2/1 #31 Dakota Mathias 6'4 195 Sr.

3/4 #12 Vince Edwards 6'8 215 Sr.

5 #44 Isaac Haas 7'2 280 Sr.

Nebraska

1/2 #5 Glynn Watson 6'0 175 Jr.: averaging 12.4 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 1.8 SPG, 3.4 APG, 2.5 FPG, 40% FG's (72-179), 74% FT's (37-50), 30% 3PT's (18-60), and 28.1 MPG in 16 GP this season

2/1 #11 Evan Taylor 6'5 205 Sr.: averaging 8.3 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 3 APG, 46% FG's (42-92), 75% FT's (35-47), 52% 3PT's (13-25), and 28.1 MPG in 16 GP this season

2/3 #24 James Palmer 6'6 210 RS Jr. (transfer from Miami-FL): averaging 15.3 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 1 SPG, 2.6 APG, 44% FG's (79-180), 70% FT's (65-93), 36% 3PT's (21-58), and 28.8 MPG in 16 GP this season

4/3 #14 Isaac Copeland 6'9 220 RS Jr. (transfer from Georgetown): averaging 12.1 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 1.3 BPG, 45% FG's (73-164), 72% FT's (34-47), 27% 3PT's (14-52), and 28.4 MPG in 16 GP this season

5 #32 Jordy Tshimanga 6'10 265 So.: averaging 3.4 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 2.6 FPG, 36% FG's (21-58), 50% FT's (12-24), no 3PT's attempted, and 15.6 MPG in 16 GP this season

Projected Reinforcements:

Purdue

1 #20 Nojel Eastern 6'6 210 Fr.

2 #14 Ryan Cline 6'5 190 Jr.

4 #24 Grady Eifert 6'7 220 Jr.

5/4 #32 Matt Haarms 7'3 235 RS Fr.

5/4 #23 Jacquil Taylor 6'10 240 RS Jr.

Nebraska

1/2 #12 Thomas Allen 6'1 180 Fr.: averaging 4.3 PPG, 1.3 RPG, 41% FG's (21-51), 81% FT's (13-16), 40% 3PT's (10-25), and 11.4 MPG in 15 GP this season

2/1 #13 Anton Gill 6'3 195 RS Sr.: averaging 10.4 PPG, 2 RPG, 45% FG's (45-100), 85% FT's (22-26), 49% 3PT's (33-68), and 23.6 MPG in 14 GP this season

4/3 #15 Isaiah Roby 6'8 215 So.: averaging 6.7 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 1.8 BPG, 2.7 FPG, 54% FG's (35-65), 74% FT's (23-31), 39% 3PT's (7-18), and 19 MPG in 15 GP this season

4/3 #10 Jack McVeigh 6'8 215 Jr.: averaging 2.3 PPG, 1.1 RPG, 36% FG's (10-28), 100% FT's (1-1), 35% 3PT's (6-17), and 6.9 MPG in 12 GP this season

5/4 #0 Duby Okeke 6'8 245 RS Sr. (graduate transfer from Winthrop): averaging 0.9 PPG, 2.2 RPG, 1.2 BPG, 43% FG's (6-14), 29% FT's (2-7), no 3PT's attempted and 8.8 MPG in 16 GP this season

5 #20 Tanner Borchardt 6'8 265 Jr.: averaging 1.6 PPG, 2.5 RPG, 60% FG's (6-10), 50% FT's (6-12), no 3PT's attempted, and 6.6 MPG in 11 GP this season

Last edited:
Let me preface this by stating I don't expect Nebraska to win at Purdue. The Boilermakers have the look of a legit #2 or #3 seed in the NCAA tourney, and they are 54-6 in their last 60 home games. Hell, I think Purdue will easily go undefeated at home this season.

However, this is the most talented Nebraska basketball team of the past 20 years. That's not saying a whole lot considering the giant collection of suck often thrown out on the court most seasons in Lincoln. But the infusion of former top 100 transfers in Coleman (Georgetown), Palmer (Miami), and Gill ( Louisville) has completely changed the roster.

This team, through 16 games, has their highest per game scoring average since 1993. They are also on pace to set program records for Blocked shots and Steals. Hell, they had 14 blocks alone vs. Northwestern.

The Big Ten also really threw Nebraska some breaks with their league schedule, and IMO, the Huskers have a great shot at finishing with at least 20 wins and going dancing.

They've already beaten Minnesota, and won at Northwestern. They don't have to play Michigan State again, and only have one matchup with Purdue. Michigan, Indiana, and Maryland all have to go to Lincoln, and the Huskers will close the season out with 4 of their final 5 games AT HOME.

A 5th or 6th place finish in the league and 20 wins is more than attainable for this Husker team.

Let me preface this by stating I don't expect Nebraska to win at Purdue. The Boilermakers have the look of a legit #2 or #3 seed in the NCAA tourney, and they are 54-6 in their last 60 home games. Hell, I think Purdue will easily go undefeated at home this season.

However, this is the most talented Nebraska basketball team of the past 20 years. That's not saying a whole lot considering the giant collection of suck often thrown out on the court most seasons in Lincoln. But the infusion of former top 100 transfers in Coleman (Georgetown), Palmer (Miami), and Gill ( Louisville) has completely changed the roster.

This team, through 16 games, has their highest per game scoring average since 1993. They are also on pace to set program records for Blocked shots and Steals. Hell, they had 14 blocks alone vs. Northwestern.

The Big Ten also really threw Nebraska some breaks with their league schedule, and IMO, the Huskers have a great shot at finishing with at least 20 wins and going dancing.

They've already beaten Minnesota, and won at Northwestern. They don't have to play Michigan State again, and only have one matchup with Purdue. Michigan, Indiana, and Maryland all have to go to Lincoln, and the Huskers will close the season out with 4 of their final 5 games AT HOME.

A 5th or 6th place finish in the league and 20 wins is more than attainable for this Husker team.

Thanks for the analysis, Cornicator.

It looked like Nebraska was really turning the corner a few years ago when Petaway was there, but they have struggled since. I’ll be interested to see how they do this year.

I’m a fan of Glynn Watson. I really wanted him to be a Boilermaker.

Thanks for the information and insight, Cornicator. Nebraska definitely presents some challenges for Purdue, and their team has some talent. It will be interesting to see the defensive pressure from the Boilers against Glynn Watson, Jr. I expect this to be a really good game.

Also, don't forget the Cornhuskers had a great shot to knock off Kansas last month except for some late game heroics from the Jayhawks.

Nebraska has impressed me the most of any Big Ten team outside of MSU. IMO they will be top 3-5 with OSU and Michigan.

Reactions: StickPurdue
Nebraska has impressed me the most of any Big Ten team outside of MSU. IMO they will be top 3-5 with OSU and Michigan.

Right now, if I had to put money on it....I would agree on that top five.....of course a lot can change. Maybe it's not such a bad break with the schedule without trips to Columbus or Lincoln this year. Looooong way to go though.

I would add Minnesota to that list, especially once Nate Mason gets back to 100%.

Between Mason, Amir Coffey, and Reggie Lynch Minnesota probably has three of the top 10 or 15 players in the league.

Nice moniker .... Beware the Haarmicator and the Haasinator ....

Reactions: PU pit bull
I would add Minnesota to that list, especially once Nate Mason gets back to 100%.

Between Mason, Amir Coffey, and Reggie Lynch Minnesota probably has three of the top 10 or 15 players in the league.

Lynch is barred from Campus for 2 years in reference to sexual assaults. It will make playing for the team a bit difficult. Minny takes a big hit and should finish at the bottom of the Big.

Wow! That is a huge hit! Really changes the complexion of our upcoming game @Minneapolis.

That's a big blow for the B1G, too, as almost everybody was expecting Minnesota to be an NCAA tournament team this year

It looked like Nebraska was really turning the corner a few years ago when Petaway was there, but they have struggled since. I’ll be interested to see how they do this year.

Sure was a strange recruitment that went on with Watson.Thought he was a PU lean then he visited NE and then went there.I've always thought so shady stuff went on there.Think Brian thought so too.Maybe after he's out of school Brian will fill us in.

129306_0.jpg

And I need huskers for my Bung-holio!

Just curious, do you have any idea why Jack McVeigh is playing so much less this season? Is it simply because of the additions of Palmer and Copeland or has he regressed in his play? He and ex-Husker Jeriah Horne had career games in last season's meeting.

Just curious, do you have any idea why Jack McVeigh is playing so much less this season? Is it simply because of the additions of Palmer and Copeland or has he regressed in his play? He and ex-Husker Jeriah Horne had career games in last season's meeting.

Its because he's the worst defender on the team and Miles is sick of it. He really is an absolute liability on the defensive end. There was a game at St. John's earlier this season where he allowed something like 16 points in 4 minutes.

Its because he's the worst defender on the team and Miles is sick of it. He really is an absolute liability on the defensive end. There was a game at St. John's earlier this season where he allowed something like 16 points in 4 minutes.

gotcha, thx

I'm also a fan of Watsons. I am surprised to see he is only shooting 30% from three. It seems whenever I've been watching their games I see him hit a clutch 3.

And we are very familiar with Watson. Guys that were recruited by Purdue have a history of having great games when they play us.

What I can gather from TheNage's OP is that Palmer is the biggest threat. He is a 6' 6" guard that can shoot decently.

Reactions: nagemj02
More talk about ranking watch than Nebraska. Nebraska is definitely a "gotcha" team as the name misleads you to believe they aren't good. Nebraska is not anything crazy, but Purdue's gotta bring the A game.

Reactions: Roeder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT