ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN.com's Round of 16 ranking of all-time teams

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Not that we need more fodder for an extra argument.....err.....discussion on here, but I found this interesting - Purdue's all-time team came in 9th of 16:

Courtesy of ESPN.com:

9. Purdue Boilermakers

With Robinson, Mount and Edwards, this team is stacked with scorers.

G Carsen Edwards: AP All-America second team (2019); averaged 34.8 PPG in 2019 NCAA tournament and led team to the Elite Eight; all-Big Ten first team (2018, 2019)

G Rick Mount: AP All-America first team (1969, 1970); averaged 32.3 PPG in three seasons at Purdue; led team to the national title game in 1969

G Jaden Ivey: One of the most talented players in school history; projected top-five 2022 draft pick; averaging 17.6 PPG and led team to this year's Sweet 16

F Glenn Robinson: Won the Wooden Award (1994); AP All-America first team (1994); averaged 27.5 PPG and 9.7 RPG in two seasons at Purdue; led team to the Elite Eight in 1994

C Joe Barry Carroll: AP All-America first team (1980); led team to Final Four in 1980; averaged 17.7 PPG, 9.3 RPG and 2.8 BPG in four seasons at Purdue

Coach: Gene Keady (seven-time Big Ten coach of the year)

By the way: top 8 were (UCLA, North Carolina, Kansas, Duke, Houston, Michigan, Arizona, and Villanova). Let the "discussion" begin.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...ives-every-2022-ncaa-tournament-sweet-16-team

i

I don’t really see his you take Keady over Painter tbh. If you’re looking in isolation Painter has been better. It’s hard to separate them though because Painter would never have been the coach he is without Keady. If you factor that in maybe you could say Keady.

Reactions: BSIT
Honestly seems about right for me. Some of those teams are stacked and had members of national champions or atleast multiple final 4 teams.

Reactions: rgarlitz
I wonder if King and Rose were in the discussion. Humm, no mention of the red and blue schools to our south!!!!

I think we beat teams 4 - 8.
Disagree about Houston, which I might have put as high as 2 (Hayes is one of the most underrated players of his era). But we should definitely be ranked ahead of 'Nova and a couple of other teams in that range.

Reactions: DAG10
Wonder why first three time All American Johnny Wooden is not on this list? 🤔
Someone (i.e., the author of the article) doesn't know their history. Then again, if Wooden was on our team, he would have to coach against himself because of his placement as UCLA's coach. Makes him all the more impressive IMO.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU and DAG10
What about biggie? Unanimous first team all American as a sophomore and runner up for NPOTY. Big Dog played the 3 in the pros, move him over and drop in Biggie. I would drop carsen and Ivey and add wooden and Biggie. No room for second team all Americans!

Just a guess, but could it be based on players who played in the NCAA tournament?

Interesting, the article wasn't entirely clear - just stated - "This list is solely based on collegiate production." Didn't specify the further limitation for NCAA Tournament nor collegiate production in NCAA Tournament - that might change some of the other lists as well I suppose.

Last edited:
What about Terry Dischinger? 2-time first team All-American who averaged 28.3 points and 13.7 rebounds per game over 3 seasons shooting 55.3 percent from the floor and 81.7 percent from the free throw line, won a gold medal for the U.S. in the 1960 Rome Olympics, was a 3-time NBA all-star and was named to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.

What about Terry Dischinger? 2-time first team All-American who averaged 28.3 points and 13.7 rebounds per game over 3 seasons shooting 55.3 percent from the floor and 81.7 percent from the free throw line, won a gold medal for the U.S. in the 1960 Rome Olympics, was a 3-time NBA all-star and was named to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.

and.....a darn good (retired) dentist in the Pacific Northwest. :)

Interesting, the article wasn't entirely clear - just stated - "This list is solely based on collegiate production." Didn't specify the further limitation for NCAA Tournament nor collegiate production in NCAA Tournament - that might change some of the other lists as well I suppose.
I wish there was more film from that pre-television era. It would be fun to see what Wooden looked like driving to the hoop. It would be neat to get a better feel for what the game was like in that era.

Reactions: RDUBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT