ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. Minnesota II: Predictions & Game Thread

I get what you are saying, but I really wanted that outright title. A bird in the hand.....
I agree, but we have a ton of those already and another one probably won’t help the program take that next step, whereas a deep run in March will.

Reactions: Boilerscuz
How many times did we try to get the ball down low in the last 10 minutes. Zilch. We have a 7.3 guy and a 6.6 strong as a horse guard.

I agree, but we have a ton of those already and another one probably won’t help the program take that next step, whereas a deep run in March will.
I'm not sure a deep run in the tourney will either. Whether it's structural forces or just poor recruiting on our end you can't explain our complete deficit of top 100 type players. We have to be the best team in the nation with the worst rated players out of high school.

Have you watched the difference in this team the last handful of road games? It's a great overall record this year. I'm not arguing that. What I'm saying is this team struggles heavily against athletic teams on the road or on neutral courts.

Yes, I've watched them.

I'm not convinced it's the athleticism, as much as the approach. We have, IMHO, one key issue in games like this, and it's happened all year: Our star player becomes less effective the more he tries to take over a game for his team.

Yes, I've watched them.

I'm not convinced it's the athleticism, as much as the approach. We have, IMHO, one key issue in games like this, and it's happened all year: Our star player becomes less effective the more he tries to take over a game for his team.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

If you go back and look at the games we lost, the games we struggled in and so on I would bet CE chucked up a lot of shots and bad ones at that.

I know the montra is to then sit CE but then who scores? Last night was just a bad night and it happens and better to happen now that in the tourney.

Reactions: Purdue85
I am not one to place blame but I'm going to make an exception. This team would not be where it is without Carsen but when one player takes half your shots and shoots 23% while the rest of the team shoots 46% you have a problem. When the B1G refs have decided to swallow their whistle when Carsen drives into a two or three player collapsing lane defense rarely is something good coming from that drive. Somebody has to be open when 4 players are in the lane and only one is ours. When he is on he is spectacular. When he plays within himself like he did against OSU he is very good. When he plays like did last night he is our opponent's best friend. We could go far in the tourney if contact on his drives is called or he plays within himself. If he plays like last night our season will be over very soon. I'd love to see him back next year but not if we only get a whole season of last night's tunnel vision Carsen.

Sorry if someone already made the point, but we had 5 players come off the bench for a combined 22 minutes, 0 points and 9 fouls. I think we have to give our bench a bigger role and adjust our style of play accordingly. Someone explain to me (without going all Pro CMP, just taking about THIS game) how it’s good coaching that Wheeler and Sasha got nine minutes between them?

Reactions: Schnelk
Sorry if someone already made the point, but we had 5 players come off the bench for a combined 22 minutes, 0 points and 9 fouls. I think we have to give our bench a bigger role and adjust our style of play accordingly. Someone explain to me (without going all Pro CMP, just taking about THIS game) how it’s good coaching that Wheeler and Sasha got nine minutes between them?
Wheeler was in for 2 minutes and had 2 fouls immediately.

Painter didn’t make him get into foul trouble.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
And with those millions come the right to question the decision. Money doesn’t equal a lack of accountability, quite the opposite.

I would wonder how many games our bench has played so few minutes and the results of those games

I am not one to place blame but I'm going to make an exception. This team would not be where it is without Carsen but when one player takes half your shots and shoots 23% while the rest of the team shoots 46% you have a problem. When the B1G refs have decided to swallow their whistle when Carsen drives into a two or three player collapsing lane defense rarely is something good coming from that drive. Somebody has to be open when 4 players are in the lane and only one is ours. When he is on he is spectacular. When he plays within himself like he did against OSU he is very good. When he plays like did last night he is our opponent's best friend. We could go far in the tourney if contact on his drives is called or he plays within himself. If he plays like last night our season will be over very soon. I'd love to see him back next year but not if we only get a whole season of last night's tunnel vision Carsen.
Agree.

But - last night, who should have been playing in his place?

And with those millions come the right to question the decision. Money doesn’t equal a lack of accountability, quite the opposite.

I would wonder how many games our bench has played so few minutes and the results of those games
And Painter isn't accountable to this or any forum so his point still remains.

How many of Grady’s minutes should we have donated to Wheeler?

Not saying he isn’t accountable but when a guy gets 2 quick fouls you take him out. Energy and emotions are running hot and need to calm them down.

Overall the bench laid a fat turd and contributed nothing.

Against OSU they had 27, 2 againt Illinois and 14 against Nebraska. They seem inconsistent at best.

Not saying he isn’t accountable but when a guy gets 2 quick fouls you take him out. Energy and emotions are running hot and need to calm them down.

Against OSU they had 27, 2 againt Illinois and 14 against Nebraska. They seem inconsistent at best.

Agree. I just don’t think they got much of a chance this game. Sasha is probably the one I was hoping to see more of

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Agree.

But - last night, who should have been playing in his place?
I wouldn't have replaced him but I certainly would have been deep in his ear. When you repeatedly drive the lane and clearly are not getting the foul calls you got 6 weeks ago then lose the ball in the attempt you need your strategy reprogrammed. He just needed to think about playing in control and utilizing his teammates that were shooting a much higher percentage.

Inconsistent is why they are on the bench.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

If you go back and look at the games we lost, the games we struggled in and so on I would bet CE chucked up a lot of shots and bad ones at that.

I know the montra is to then sit CE but then who scores? Last night was just a bad night and it happens and better to happen now that in the tourney.

Oh trust me...it'll happen in the tourney. Probably in the round of 32 but definitely in the S16. ha ha. Just kidding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT