ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. Alabama MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Per CMP radio postgame, Morton was +17.
Morton is basically useless. Had one assist. His +/- is severely skewed. Think +8 was when he subbed in while we were shooting FT’s. Two last 4 secs of first half and two more end of game. I may have missed a play, only have him at +14. The +/- stat is useless.

Morton is basically useless. Had one assist. His +/- is severely skewed. Think +8 was when he subbed in while we were shooting FT’s. Two last 4 secs of first half and two more end of game. I may have missed a play, only have him at +14. The +/- stat is useless.
Painter citing Morton’s +/- is concerning haha

Loyer's minutes and consistent underwhelming performance is a head scratcher to me. I was really excited about him while watching him play HS ball and he knows how to play the game, but he is always a step behind and not physical enough. Wish he would have got a RS year to develop physically. Still pulling for him, but strength and athleticism are not going to improve in season and therefore, I don't think much is going to improve for him this year. Hope I'm wrong as him contributing consistently on offense would take this team to the next level.

He has been recruited over unless he improves. Hope he does do too.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Painter citing Morton’s +/- is concerning haha

Surely not?
Painter citing +/- is not concerning. But CMP taking time to cite specifically Morton's +/- would be hilarious & more man crush......given the game and M's minimal role. Got a link?

Surely not?
Painter citing +/- is not concerning. But CMP taking time to cite specifically Morton's +/- would be hilarious & more man crush......given the game and M's minimal role. Got a link?

starting @ approximately 8:27......the audio quality for the press conference is "less than desirable" to put it mildly. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Boiler Buck
Morton +17
Smith +6
Edey +11
Jones -14
Sears - 0

+/- is the most misleading "stat" that there is. This game is a perfect example of that. CMP using it in the Morton reference was very funny.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Bama guys saying the refs didn't call an even game. That Edey got away with a lot of fouls and didn't get called. Lots of whining.

Bama guys saying the refs didn't call an even game. That Edey got away with a lot of fouls and didn't get called. Lots of whining.
We will be hearing a lot of that this year. Every fan thinks that their team should be allowed to maul him because it isn't fair to them to have to play by the rules.

The ESPN analysts on their website are unanimous in expecting Edey to repeat as NPOY. They all say it isn't even close, that he is the best college player, and that he is better than last year.

Is Zach Edey still the best player in the country right now?​

Lunardi: Yes, and it's not especially close, although it was fun last week watching Hunter Dickinson and Tristen Newton do their thing.

Borzello: Yes, and the gap between Edey and everyone else in the Wooden Award race is wider than it was last season. He's more efficient than last season, better at rim protection than last season and he seems more comfortable when Purdue is trying to push the ball in transition than last season. He averaged 25.3 points and 13.0 rebounds in three days at the Maui Invitational, against a gauntlet of a schedule, and it felt like par for the course for Edey. That's special.

Medcalf: Yes. Dickinson is good -- one coach who faced him this season said he's just an impossible force to deal with in the paint. And, there are other preseason All-Americans who have started strong. But Edey is in his own category right now. He's averaging 23.7 PPG, 11.2 RPG and 2.9 BPG. I think we're looking at the second two-time Wooden Award winner.

Gasaway: Edey is the nation's best player, thanks in part to exertions not easily captured by clips or breakdowns of X's and O's. His offensive rebound percentage is better than those of 15 entire Division I teams. He draws a truly ridiculous 11 fouls per 40 minutes and thus destroys opponents with slightly above-average shooting at the line. Edey is tops by a mile.

Full article: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...ons-one-month-mens-college-basketball-2023-24

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT