ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. Alabama MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

That Ballo does a ton of pushing to get open under the basket. That should be a great matchup next Saturday.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Back-to-back-to-back National Player of the Year Awards has only been done once...Lew Alcindor. I'm not saying that he is as good as Lew Alcindor...but that Zach is a very special talent and player.

Perhaps underappreciated because of his size, but a special player as a Boilermaker for sure. Ralph Sampson is the last one to do it I thought.

They were consistent. That’s all anyone wants.

Purdue probably got a slightly favorable whistle today, but all in all.....can't believe I'm going to write this....did a nice job, even with a technical foul and a flagrant during the game.

DJ Carstensen was one of them, and I have given him a lot of flack the last couple of years because he is a regular Big Ten official who was good and then went to the dark side (with the inconsistency).....there's new hope ahead perhaps, TJ. DJ has been pretty good this year.

Zach needs to develop his shot some more it would be smart to stay
At this point, it wouldn’t make sense for him to do that in a game. I agree with you 100% he needs a shot for the next level, but his huge advantage is posting up on the block and backing down his defender. He would give up his advantage if he shot 8+ feet out. Don’t get me wrong, it’d be great to see him let it fly and I think he can a bit.

But since it’s college bball, I think the huge advantage is him doing what he’s doing now.

I try to call it like I see it, maybe Purdue benefitted a little, I thought it was well officiated though. The court decided the games, not the refs.
No I agree with you. In a Reddit game thread they were not pleased. Once Oates got the T, we went on a run but also we were called for 5 straight fouls and none on bama

Reactions: Lee3370 and Schnelk
I agree. Make tons of NIL money
I’ll be stunned if that happens, would love to be wrong but my guess is he turns pro. Having said that, he’s not a Marvin Harrison Jr situation, he’ll never be a first round pick, if he makes $5 million to stick around it wouldn’t be dumb.

I’ll be stunned if that happens, would love to be wrong but my guess is he turns pro. Having said that, he’s not a Marvin Harrison Jr situation, he’ll never be a first round pick, if he makes $5 million to stick around it wouldn’t be dumb.
That's what I'm saying. He might do decent in the NBA. However he can probably make more staying and getting NIL money than he can in the NBA his first year.

Jones w a bad pass and missed free throw...just have to be better at winning time.
yeah, FT shooting by him has been a concern just because he is going to handle the ball. Thank God nobody heard me twice where Sears set Lance up and he gets caught inside and then hits two 3s in a row. Make sears drive the ball...stay on top and if you trail...you trail! He isn't as good inside the trees

Sears had a career game. Scored 30 twice one vs S.Carolina State and um some other walk over.

I would bet a college team making 19 threes at a 41% clip wins 90% of the time. A lot to overcome and Purdue did.
90% is probably low. Just goes to show the game is more than just hitting 3s. Making FTs was huge...especially zach not missing. That is fantastic for anyone let alone a big. It was also helpful to remove some of their chess pieces from the table. I wouldn't classify Sears as athletic, but would classify him as crafty and skillful...similar to Boo without Boos shots in the lane

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
90% is probably low. Just goes to show the game is more than just hitting 3s. Making FTs was huge...especially zach not missing. That is fantastic for anyone let alone a big. It was also helpful to remove some of their chess pieces from the table. I wouldn't classify Sears as athletic, but would classify him as crafty and skillful...similar to Boo without Boos shots in the lane
and Kolek

Reactions: tjreese
Yeah probably closer to never. Someone must have that stat somewhere…

Reactions: tjreese
Scored inside but hit threes when we had to. Made our free throws and didn’t turn the ball over. We all know that’s the recipe.

Surprises....against an athletic team ...
We had 9 steals
Very few TOs
Smith's play

On the flip side......
Even though we won R by 1, our poor front court rebounding surprised me.
The number of minutes Loyer got.

6 TO's, 42% from 3 and 24/28 FT's. Very impressive!
Not to mention 9 steals

Last edited:
Taking a look at the stats...I am thinking how did we win this game when Bama takes 46 3s and makes 19 (41%) while Purdue makes 8 (44%) 3s. That is a 33 point difference behind the 3-point line...just incredible differential.

• Wow
Reactions: Boiler Buck
We had 10 steals
Very few TOs
Smith's play

On the flip side......

Not to mention 10 steals
Looooong rebounds from Bama shooting tons of 3s. Which equates to the backcourt needing to rebound as well. Hard for Zach and the 4 to get the long boards when there under the basket trying to get the board and it hits the back iron and pops back to the FT line.

Reactions: Schnelk and DrEss
Taking a look at the stats...I am thinking how did we win this game when Bama takes 46 3s and makes 19 (41%) while Purdue makes 8 (44%) 3s. That is a 33 point difference behind the 3-point line...just incredible differential.

As Painter said you won't see too many teams make 19 3's and lose. Purdue had one more FG (30-29) and made up with 24-28 (Edey 11/11, Smith 5/6, Loyer 4/4) outstanding FT's and 9-13 edge in turnovers....slight edge in rebounding. Purdue was very efficient today.

Another hidden gem stat was Morty's rather SALTY +17 rating..... :)

The more everyone buys in to their roles game-to-game.....the better performance you'll see from the team consistently, IMO.

Last edited:
Turnovers have been the difference the past few years. For many games, you look at the stats and ask how Purdue could have lost, then you look at TOs. Purdue had TOs under control in this game, and it made a difference.

Turnovers have been the difference the past few years. For many games, you look at the stats and ask how Purdue could have lost, then you look at TOs. Purdue had TOs under control in this game, and it made a difference.

Mr. Smith having just one, as much as he had the ball in 36 minutes of up tempo pace, was outstanding.

88tyrk.gif

Last edited:
Looooong rebounds from Bama shooting tons of 3s. Which equates to the backcourt needing to rebound as well. Hard for Zach and the 4 to get the long boards when there under the basket trying to get the board and it hits the back iron and pops back to the FT line.
Yes! I was at the game and this was very true. We were well-positioned for rebounds and then there were many crazy bounces out to the 12-15 foot area. I will say that Caleb was excellent on the boards. That is why he got 20 minutes tonight. He had several athletic rebounds and got his hands on some more that we recovered.

Yes! I was at the game and this was very true. We were well-positioned for rebounds and then there were many crazy bounces out to the 12-15 foot area. I will say that Caleb was excellent on the boards. That is why he got 20 minutes tonight. He had several athletic rebounds and got his hands on some more that we recovered.

I missed Furst 6 R. Just didn't notice in the excitement of the game. That's pretty good and best of our 4s. Six of the 10 R out of the 4 position. Good for him.

Last edited:
Mr. Smith having just one, as much as he had the ball in 36 minutes of up tempo pace, was outstanding.

88tyrk.gif
This was a very entertaining game to attend. I get less nervous when I am at the game in person, so it was a good time. Sat near the large Edey group, who were having a great time as well. Everyone just felt like once Alabama cooled off, we would come back and win.

Many of the things Purdue has struggled with (if being 9-1 against good competition can be called struggling) were much better today - Turnovers, Free throws, 3-point shooting.

I looked up some pre-season rankings of guards. We have faced 5 of the top 20 ( and that does not include Knecht who is considered a small forward). Our guards have competed quite well. Been some ups and downs( Boo Buie) but overall much better than last year. A few people complain about our athleticism at guard but Smith and Jones have held their own against good competition. Smith has been able to get his shot (at the rim, mid- range, and 3-point) as well or better than many of these highly ranked guards.

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
We had 10 steals
Very few TOs
Smith's play

On the flip side......

Not to mention 10 steals
Loyer's minutes and consistent underwhelming performance is a head scratcher to me. I was really excited about him while watching him play HS ball and he knows how to play the game, but he is always a step behind and not physical enough. Wish he would have got a RS year to develop physically. Still pulling for him, but strength and athleticism are not going to improve in season and therefore, I don't think much is going to improve for him this year. Hope I'm wrong as him contributing consistently on offense would take this team to the next level.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT