ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Wisconsin (Game Thread)

Wisconsin is talented, well coached, and is loaded with those 5th year seniors. Tough team to beat. They are every bit as talented as we are.
Davison - 5th year senior. Wahl - junior. Crowl and Davis - sophomores. Hepburn - freshman.

Davison - 5th year senior. Wahl - junior. Crowl and Davis - sophomores. Hepburn - freshman.

Hepburn and Wahl's emergences have really spurred them on with what Davis commands.....the big difference to me between Wisconsin and Purdue is that Wisconsin executes better. Boilers have the higher ceiling but are more inconsistent. It will be interesting to see how the post-season plays out for both teams. Again.....JMHO

Threw the remote and went to bed pissed off after Edey missed the bunny down 3 with 15 secs left.
missed the 3pt fireworks at the end. Probably better that I missed it anyways.

I may get killed for saying this but Ivey would be better served staying an extra year at Purdue. He may get a good contact by going early but if I’m a GM I would not give him a huge contact from what I’ve seen. Doing layups isn’t allowed in NBA
There is no reason to get killed. Assuming he leaves it will be due to money offered based upon potential. No question if he stayed and matured his game he would be better, but that may not play at all in his decision. Actually, maturity or lack of as shown by playing smart is not found many times by a couple of players...players that Purdue counts on to be highly productive...and you hope leaders lead correctly...

Reactions: indyogb
Hepburn and Wahl's emergences have really spurred them on with what Davis commands.....the big difference to me between Wisconsin and Purdue is that Wisconsin executes better. Boilers have the higher ceiling but are more inconsistent. It will be interesting to see how the post-season plays out for both teams. Again.....JMHO
Agree, we were a top 2-4 team for the most part of the year for a reason. The teams we beat early are now starting to trend in the right direction.

Coaching get you prepared and gets you to play at a level of capability. We are seeing Wisconsin blossom because of coaching. They were a preseason bottom dweller. We were predicted to be 2nd and are probably going to finish in that same fashion.

To me our coaching staff has to take blame. When teams trend in the right direction it's because of adjusting during the year. This team was playing early with the talent and now the coaching separates the teams. You can see we aren't separating from anyone.

• Angry
Reactions: indyogb and pubill
Did cmp miss the free throws? the bunnies? I thought our game plan was pretty good. Better than the first time for sure. Players gotta execute and do the small, unsexy things consistently. This team doesn't do that. We can't play games in the 60s.
I think you are correct, coaches can’t make those simple plays and they can’t play defense. The game plan is not the problem, the in game coaching is not the problem. It’s the execution, it’s the attitude, it’s the fire, where is the leader ship?

No one including me is knocking Jaden Ivey not at all. But he is so much like Ja Morant, but that dude came out of college with his hair on fire as a real leader of his team who is willing to carry them in all facets of the game. There was no let up in his game there was no lazy moments no lazy passes.

5 assists and three turnovers easily could have had 8 assists . Tough when no other player can get his own shot… not one.
This is this issue I think. I obviously love that we have guys who can shoot now but you have to get guys who can move better. That’s part of the reason our defense sucks and also why we suck in close games like this. Outside of Ivey, it looks like our guards can barely dribble or pass under pressure. If we lose in the first or second round, Painter will need to take a long look in the mirror. The teams that gave beat us had numerous guys who’ve looked like they have dribbled a basketball before and we’re more athletic than us at the guard spot.

Agree, we were a top 2-4 team for the most part of the year for a reason. The teams we beat early are now starting to trend in the right direction.

Coaching get you prepared and gets you to play at a level of capability. We are seeing Wisconsin blossom because of coaching. They were a preseason bottom dweller. We were predicted to be 2nd and are probably going to finish in that same fashion.

To me our coaching staff has to take blame. When teams trend in the right direction it's because of adjusting during the year. This team was playing early with the talent and now the coaching separates the teams. You can see we aren't separating from anyone.
I think this team has not valued possessions overall. I think that is the consistent problem with this team and why Wisconsin is at the top. The defense has improved, but if you do not value possessions sometimes those shots taken and/or turnovers lead to easy scores for the opposition. Losing way more 50-50 balls also indicates a lack of value in possessions.

The early season success probably didn't help prepare for the grind needed. Too much immature play exists when players step out from what they can do successfully and try other things as though THAT possession didn't matter. Purdue for many years played with maturity. The game last night was predicted to be close and if you didn't know that, but knew you were playing at Wisconsin everyone should know that possessions are critical because Wisconsin teams for yeas make you beat them. Rarely do they help the opposition win.

4 losses in last second 3 pt shots is not common. Shoot, most teams and players would be happy to shoot as high as 40%. Purdue did not lose so many games "because" of last second 3 pt shots, but loss "by" last second 3 pt shots. Lastly, I saw visions of Mitch Richmond banking a shot in 1987 and Butch Carter in 1979

Reactions: Schnelk
Thanks for the corrections. I posted without looking up the facts. I appreciate your input. Wisconsin is a better team than Purdue right now. Good luck the rest of the way, except, of course, when we meet again in the championship game of the BIG and the NCAAs.

ALL your fault, Lenny. :)
I'm pretty superstitious. After Davis made the and 1 to go up 10, I flipped over to UM/MSU. When I flipped back, it was a 1 possession game. When i threw the remote and went to bed, I missed Ivey tying it with a 3.
Maybe I shouldn't watch any more PU basketball.

I'm pretty superstitious. After Davis made the and 1 to go up 10, I flipped over to UM/MSU. When I flipped back, it was a 1 possession game. When i threw the remote and went to bed, I missed Ivey tying it with a 3.
Maybe I shouldn't watch any more PU basketball.
Lol. I do the same. Then my wife calls me out on it. Yet, I get really close the tv calling the other team names and bitching at the tv🤣

The struggle is real as a fan. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: bonefish1 and TX4GB
Lol. I do the same. Then my wife calls me out on it. Yet, I get really close the tv calling the other team names and bitching at the tv🤣

The struggle is real as a fan. Lol

Davison.....you.....*&^%$!

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Poprudy and TX4GB
This is this issue I think. I obviously love that we have guys who can shoot now but you have to get guys who can move better. That’s part of the reason our defense sucks and also why we suck in close games like this. Outside of Ivey, it looks like our guards can barely dribble or pass under pressure. If we lose in the first or second round, Painter will need to take a long look in the mirror. The teams that gave beat us had numerous guys who’ve looked like they have dribbled a basketball before and we’re more athletic than us at the guard spot.
we got to go portal like Ill did w/ Plummer and Mich did w/ Jones. I have hope for Newman next year but if I was Painter I would have one of those talks to It at the end of the year.

Thanks for the corrections. I posted without looking up the facts. I appreciate your input. Wisconsin is a better team than Purdue right now. Good luck the rest of the way, except, of course, when we meet again in the championship game of the BIG and the NCAAs.
and smarter team.

I would have pulled Tre and put Furst in at the 5. Tired of his low percentage, fadeaway twos, and his bad passes.
missed 2 bunnies in the first half too, you're 6'10 and arms extended you're basically putting the ball over the rim and Edey missed a dunk and an easy shot above the rim after a lob pass. That should not happen

4 losses in last second 3 pt shots is not common. Shoot, most teams and players would be happy to shoot as high as 40%. Purdue did not lose so many games "because" of last second 3 pt shots, but loss "by" last second 3 pt shots. Lastly, I saw visions of Mitch Richmond banking a shot in 1987 and Butch Carter in 1979
Didn't Brian Butch of Wisconsin bank in a late 3-pointer against some team (IU?) that cost us a share of the B1G title?

Reactions: Schnelk
we got to go portal like Ill did w/ Plummer and Mich did w/ Jones. I have hope for Newman next year but if I was Painter I would have one of those talks to It at the end of the year.
I’d like to think Painter is completely fair and hopefully it doesn’t make a difference, but isn’t there a bit of a conflict of interest that IT’s brother is part of the coaching staff?

I’d like to think Painter is completely fair and hopefully it doesn’t make a difference, but isn’t there a bit of a conflict of interest that IT’s brother is part of the coaching staff?
know PJ is on the staff but Painter is the boss , IT should be at an IUPUI type program. Sounds cold and all but he is a bigtime liability

We would have been run out of the gym without Ivey last night.
Maybe, maybe not? You never know that. Naturally you want him to play, who wouldn't, but the dynamics are different. Purdue barely beat Iowa at home without Kegan playing and then went to Iowa and beat them worse with Kegan playing. There has been many games won by the team that you think is short-handed, but somehow they play better, not because of more talent, but maybe more focus, more effort, whatever. You just never know. Most thought Wisconsin would be down and look where they are. When Jaden was hurt and set out, Purdue had some solid starts and played well. It was exactly what I wanted to see out of the remaining players that executed better and just pulled together

None of this suggests that Jaden makes the team worse, but basketball is but a bunch of main variables always changing and the result of the variables is not just the players abilities, the points scored and so forth. It is the result of main variables and the interaction between variables.

Like salt...increase it and you might not like it as well...same with sugar. Like your house cool in the summer? Do you like it better at 55 degrees that 68? When a team averages 70 pts a game for a year and loses 55pts of scoring for the next year, that next year will score much closer to the 70 points than the 25. It almost always happens, course the D might get worse or might get better, but generally the year to year is similar.

Something doesn't seem right to me. This team is too talented to have those games that you clearly see lower that reasonable expectations. This team should be able to play in a physical and finesse game. That said, 4 last second 3s miss and Purdue has a hell of a record...course would people still see Purdue play below what many believe they should? I don't think preseason should have elevated expectations so high that the team can't meet them. We just see POOR shot selection, passes at the knees, both a casual performance and lack of effort in doing the little things that make a difference. Can Purdue make a run in both tourneys...absolutely, but we have witnessed several games where there was no urgency, little grit and lot of going through the motions. I've typed too much, and maybe finish this another time. Sometimes it appears I want more for the players than they want for themselves...

Reactions: indyogb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT