Purdue snippet from The Athletic

boilerzz

All-American
Jul 5, 2002
West Chester, OH
www.marchfirstbrewing.com

13. Purdue​

Previous: 12

Projected starters: Braden Smith, Fletcher Loyer, Camden Heide, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Caleb Furst

Top reserves: Myles Colvin, Daniel Jacobsen (freshman), Will Berg, Kanon Catchings (freshman), Gicarri Harris (freshman), Raleigh Burgess (freshman), Brian Waddell

Purdue’s KenPom finishes in the five years that proceeded the Zach Edey era: 9, 19, 5, 9, 24. It’s going to be difficult to replace Edey, but Matt Painter won a lot of basketball games before Edey showed up and he’ll continue to do so. Painter has a really good core returning, led by Smith, who became a killer in pick-and-roll last season as both a scorer and distributor. If you asked college coaches to rank the best point guards in the country, he’d be near the top. Purdue got a head start on what life without Edey would be like last summer when it went on a foreign tour without him and Kaufman-Renn led the team in scoring. Painter also has three centers on the bench who could be next in line as dominant low-post scorers. The 7-foot-2 Berg has been learning behind Edey the last two years, and then Painter signed two centers in Jacobsen and Burgess. Jacobsen was a standout last weekend at the tryouts for the U.S. U-18 team. When I asked two coaches there who stood out, both mentioned Jacobsen, with one saying he’ll eventually be a star. He’s 7-3, skilled and playing at Purdue, so odds are in his favor.

The also have:

Michigan 17
IU 19
Illinois 20

The also have:

Michigan 17
IU 19
Illinois 20

What iu not #1?? What in the blazers?

I like Purdue's team next year.....but surprised to see them the highest ranked B10 team & top 15 this early. Thought they would earn that eventually, but even with so many unknowns, apparently media thinking CMP will get it done again and do what he does....which is win, win, win.... as long as Smith stays healthy.

13. Purdue​

Previous: 12

Projected starters: Braden Smith, Fletcher Loyer, Camden Heide, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Caleb Furst

Top reserves: Myles Colvin, Daniel Jacobsen (freshman), Will Berg, Kanon Catchings (freshman), Gicarri Harris (freshman), Raleigh Burgess (freshman), Brian Waddell

Purdue’s KenPom finishes in the five years that proceeded the Zach Edey era: 9, 19, 5, 9, 24. It’s going to be difficult to replace Edey, but Matt Painter won a lot of basketball games before Edey showed up and he’ll continue to do so. Painter has a really good core returning, led by Smith, who became a killer in pick-and-roll last season as both a scorer and distributor. If you asked college coaches to rank the best point guards in the country, he’d be near the top. Purdue got a head start on what life without Edey would be like last summer when it went on a foreign tour without him and Kaufman-Renn led the team in scoring. Painter also has three centers on the bench who could be next in line as dominant low-post scorers. The 7-foot-2 Berg has been learning behind Edey the last two years, and then Painter signed two centers in Jacobsen and Burgess. Jacobsen was a standout last weekend at the tryouts for the U.S. U-18 team. When I asked two coaches there who stood out, both mentioned Jacobsen, with one saying he’ll eventually be a star. He’s 7-3, skilled and playing at Purdue, so odds are in his favor.

The also have:

Michigan 17
IU 19
Illinois 20
Did MSU lose guys to the portal ? Or to the pokey?

I just read this. It's a pretty solid assessment, especially the point about TKR. It's also easy to forget how good Braden is.

Was looking at Duke's recap and they have Mason as a starter for them next year and made a point of saying that he's a classic "glue guy."

Did MSU lose guys to the portal ? Or to the pokey?
Good question. It's surprising to see IU and not MSU on that list. It's rare when they aren't in the preseason rankings. Izzo is showing that he may be past his prime. The team has been very talented, but not winning. Could the "experts" be looking at that when projecting rankings? But having IU on the list argues against that idea.

Good question. It's surprising to see IU and not MSU on that list. It's rare when they aren't in the preseason rankings. Izzo is showing that he may be past his prime. The team has been very talented, but not winning. Could the "experts" be looking at that when projecting rankings? But having IU on the list argues against that idea.
They lost Hoggard and Sissoko to the portal and added a dude that looks like he came straight from Children of the Corn. Here's a preview that may or may not be current:

Last edited:
They lost Hoggard and Sissoko to the portal and added a dude that looks like he came straight from Children of the Corn. Here's a preview that may or may not be current:

Throwing in Walker with no more eligibility - a lot of experience and production gone from the backcourt. Still a lot of talent there, but Akins and Booker will really need to step up.

Reactions: BoilerAndy

I like Purdue's team next year.....but surprised to see them the highest ranked B10 team & top 15 this early. Thought they would earn that eventually, but even with so many unknowns, apparently media thinking CMP will get it done again and do what he does....which is win, win, win.... as long as Smith stays healthy.
Sleepers now has Jacobsen and Catchings in the top 10 newcomers next year in the BT, and I really believe they are missing out on Harris and his impact as. a backup to Smith. Purdue has a lot of shooters and should be one the best from 3 in the country! ESPN has Purdue at # 15 with Jacobsen starting at center! Painter has added a lot of athletes to Purdue and I believe their defense will improve. Painter is a top 10 coach in the country and the tracks lead to another championship caliber team.
Now step back and look at IU, first they have Woodson as a coach, enough said! He had TJD, Ware and now Ballo who is a downgrade from the first two. Also Ballo measured 6' 10" in the NBAdraftroom, who can't shoot and has very little skills. The two forwards are their strength, but not the best athletes.
Galloway is the highest rated guard if you look at the computer metrics at 292 with Rice at 382, Caryle comes in at 1171! Their preseason all American last year, Cupps( just as good as Smith except he can play defense) is at 2552. And again this year the 3 point line will be a problem even with Goode!

I think Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St and UCLA should be at the top!

Sleepers now has Jacobsen and Catchings in the top 10 newcomers next year in the BT, and I really believe they are missing out on Harris and his impact as. a backup to Smith.

Well yes, both top 5 likely if they get enough PT -- which will be hard to come by on a talented Purdue team. But both have potential to be B10 frosh of the year, and the potential to be starters & to be 1&D. Maybe neither will, but they hold alot of promise.

Harris has always been the guy I was most of exited about.....of the 3, likely here the longest. Tough on both sides.....great genes.

Now step back and look at IU, first they have Woodson as a coach, enough said! He had TJD, Ware and now Ballo who is a downgrade from the first two. Also Ballo measured 6' 10" in the NBAdraftroom, who can't shoot and has very little skills. The two forwards are their strength, but not the best athletes.
Galloway is the highest rated guard if you look at the computer metrics at 292 with Rice at 382, Caryle comes in at 1171! Their preseason all American last year, Cupps( just as good as Smith except he can play defense) is at 2552. And again this year the 3 point line will be a problem even with Goode!

Always liked Galloway, Sad he went to play for a losing program. But other than for a laugh, I really have no other use for or interest in iu.

As long as Smith stays healthy? Is he hurt?

Reactions: RDUBoiler
As long as Smith stays healthy? Is he hurt?

Stays healthy implies he is now healthy. Hard to stay healthy if you are not healthy already.

Although because of Harris, & Cox are available I look for Smith's minutes to go down a tad, there still is no question he is the key to next year. It's his team.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjreese
I’m accompanying my SiL and Grandson to the Braden Smith & Fletcher Loyer Basketball day camp in Indy tomorrow. I’ll report back on how healthy Braden looks. We are then attending the Purdue Father / Son day camp next Saturday. Lucky kid and Grandpa.

I’m accompanying my SiL and Grandson to the Braden Smith & Fletcher Loyer Basketball day camp in Indy tomorrow. I’ll report back on how healthy Braden looks. We are then attending the Purdue Father / Son day camp next Saturday. Lucky kid and Grandpa.

Great to hear Doc - hope you all have a great time.....will look forward to your "report."

Stays healthy implies he is now healthy. Hard to stay healthy if you are not healthy already.

Although because of Harris, & Cox are available I look for Smith's minutes to go down a tad, there still is no question he is the key to next year. It's his team.
Stays healthy seems to imply to me that yes he is healthy, but it also could mean he had a health issue previously and so we are concerned about him staying healthy. I am just checking to be sure he is all good. We will have some additional bench strength for sure, but I agree Smith will be one of the keys on how far we go for sure.

Well yes, both top 5 likely if they get enough PT -- which will be hard to come by on a talented Purdue team. But both have potential to be B10 frosh of the year, and the potential to be starters & to be 1&D. Maybe neither will, but they hold alot of promise.

Harris has always been the guy I was most of exited about.....of the 3, likely here the longest. Tough on both sides.....great genes.

Always liked Galloway, Sad he went to play for a losing program. But other than for a laugh, I really have no other use for or interest in iu.
Agree. Catchings may have more upside but the scouts are saying Harris is more ready to have an immediate impact.

I feel bad for Galloway because he plays like a Purdue player and wanted to be here. We just didn’t have a spot.

Reactions: BBG and Boiler Buck
I just read this. It's a pretty solid assessment, especially the point about TKR. It's also easy to forget how good Braden is.

Was looking at Duke's recap and they have Mason as a starter for them next year and made a point of saying that he's a classic "glue guy."
Heard from a very reliable source how much Gillis got in NIL from Duke and it’s starter money. I figured the veteran leadership on the floor will go a long way.

Sleepers now has Jacobsen and Catchings in the top 10 newcomers next year in the BT, and I really believe they are missing out on Harris and his impact as. a backup to Smith. Purdue has a lot of shooters and should be one the best from 3 in the country! ESPN has Purdue at # 15 with Jacobsen starting at center! Painter has added a lot of athletes to Purdue and I believe their defense will improve. Painter is a top 10 coach in the country and the tracks lead to another championship caliber team.

I hate to admit it but I think iu will be significantly improved next year. If Purdue had this same transfer class we would be singing about the final four. Iu is more talented than us at every position except PG. Having said that they are all being coached by woody, will still struggle from 3, and I don’t think the players will compliment each other as Ballo will clog the lanes where Ware was able to step back and let Mgbako and Renau effectively play the post. My expectation is Indiana is improved but 5-7 seed.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
I hate to admit it but I think iu will be significantly improved next year. If Purdue had this same transfer class we would be singing about the final four. Iu is more talented than us at every position except PG. Having said that they are all being coached by woody, will still struggle from 3, and I don’t think the players will compliment each other as Ballo will clog the lanes where Ware was able to step back and let Mgbako and Renau effectively play the post. My expectation is Indiana is improved but 5-7 seed.
Too high. Still don’t have a single guy who’s going to shoot over 35% from 3.

Still don’t see how they will be much of any better on D.

Sadly, Woody gets fired after they drop a play in NCAA game.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
Why do you say they are more talented at every position? Metrics definitely disagree and unless Woodson changes his offensive scheme, they will be in the bottom 5% again for 3s attempted and made. If this is the same strategy, they better be damn good on defense (which woodsons teams have yet to be) to slow the game down and not allow opponents to hit 3s (his scheme has yet to do this).

They also haven’t brought very many good shooters in. While Goode is a good shooter, he is going to be the 7-9th man off the bench and how many opportunities will he get to even shoot it? He may even have to play the 4 at times and he got sought out and bodied last year by teams (similar to fletch for us).

Their front court is foul prone, not deep, and can’t shoot FTs very well at all. Ballo is a double double but often times clogged the lane for Arizona guards and had dumb turnovers and shots. Reneau needs to get quicker feet and stop reaching/fouling. Mgtako (he should be a 4 cuz he can’t guard the 3) is slow and unexplosive—although maybe he figures out how to improve those. Has a good shot when open, but can’t really get his own shot off from 3. He also has dumb fouls, but maybe that’ll improve.

And yeah we’d be stoked if we had this haul because we have Painter…who knows how to coach and has a good system to be successful.

IU very well may be good this year, I mean they should be after going out and spending all that money. But What is a good ROI on this team? If they fail to get to an E8 and not win the B1G, that’s a big fail I’d say. And then, they have to do it alllll over again next year and hope they can get guys to gel and learn the offense as defense and hope they are able to pull it together.

Reactions: Boiler Buck and BBG
There is a site elsewhere if you wish to root or comment about them. I am sure a comment like the above will be well received there.

Not so much here.
Lame. His post is clearly not "rooting for them". Try making an intelligent rebuttal like Dwayne did

Why do you say they are more talented at every position? Metrics definitely disagree and unless Woodson changes his offensive scheme, they will be in the bottom 5% again for 3s attempted and made. If this is the same strategy, they better be damn good on defense (which woodsons teams have yet to be) to slow the game down and not allow opponents to hit 3s (his scheme has yet to do this).

They also haven’t brought very many good shooters in. While Goode is a good shooter, he is going to be the 7-9th man off the bench and how many opportunities will he get to even shoot it? He may even have to play the 4 at times and he got sought out and bodied last year by teams (similar to fletch for us).

Their front court is foul prone, not deep, and can’t shoot FTs very well at all. Ballo is a double double but often times clogged the lane for Arizona guards and had dumb turnovers and shots. Reneau needs to get quicker feet and stop reaching/fouling. Mgtako (he should be a 4 cuz he can’t guard the 3) is slow and unexplosive—although maybe he figures out how to improve those. Has a good shot when open, but can’t really get his own shot off from 3. He also has dumb fouls, but maybe that’ll improve.

And yeah we’d be stoked if we had this haul because we have Painter…who knows how to coach and has a good system to be successful.

IU very well may be good this year, I mean they should be after going out and spending all that money. But What is a good ROI on this team? If they fail to get to an E8 and not win the B1G, that’s a big fail I’d say. And then, they have to do it alllll over again next year and hope they can get guys to gel and learn the offense as defense and hope they are able to pull it together.
I said more talented not better. What position do you disagree with?

I said more talented not better. What position do you disagree with?
5 - If TKR or Furst is our 5, I barely give the nod to Ballo only for his size. If Berg or DJ are our 5, I’d still barely give the nod to Ballo, but wouldn’t be surprised if Berg can handle him/both Berg and DJ give him trouble with their size and length.

4 - TKR > Reneau. Similar in skill and shooting outside and FTs. However, Reneau gives less effort and doesn’t rebound well. He also fouls a ton.

3 - not sure who starts on either team here but I’ll take Heide, Colvin, Catchings over Galloway, Mgbako or Tucker

2 - Loyer > Carlyle as Carlyle was a worse shooter and I don’t believe was any better on defense. He very well could be better, but at this point, I’m taking the guy who has proven to produce and win at this level

1 - Smith > Rice. Rice is good but Smith is the best pure PG in the country. Sears is very good at Bama but he’s more of a scoring PG and doesn’t distribute like Braden.

Bench — Purdue > IU. I’d say Purdue has a slight edge here. Galloway, Goode and Tucker will be decent off the bench but Cupps is awful and Newton hasn’t played ball in a long time and not sure he will ever be back to where he was.

we obviously will find out who is better…I think our pieces fit a lot better than theirs. But that’s why they play the games!

Lame. His post is clearly not "rooting for them". Try making an intelligent rebuttal like Dwayne did
Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

• Haha
Reactions: BBG
5 - If TKR or Furst is our 5, I barely give the nod to Ballo only for his size. If Berg or DJ are our 5, I’d still barely give the nod to Ballo, but wouldn’t be surprised if Berg can handle him/both Berg and DJ give him trouble with their size and length.

4 - TKR > Reneau. Similar in skill and shooting outside and FTs. However, Reneau gives less effort and doesn’t rebound well. He also fouls a ton.

3 - not sure who starts on either team here but I’ll take Heide, Colvin, Catchings over Galloway, Mgbako or Tucker

2 - Loyer > Carlyle as Carlyle was a worse shooter and I don’t believe was any better on defense. He very well could be better, but at this point, I’m taking the guy who has proven to produce and win at this level

1 - Smith > Rice. Rice is good but Smith is the best pure PG in the country. Sears is very good at Bama but he’s more of a scoring PG and doesn’t distribute like Braden.

Bench — Purdue > IU. I’d say Purdue has a slight edge here. Galloway, Goode and Tucker will be decent off the bench but Cupps is awful and Newton hasn’t played ball in a long time and not sure he will ever be back to where he was.

we obviously will find out who is better…I think our pieces fit a lot better than theirs. But that’s why they play the games!
And a given: Painter > Woodson.

I know the debate is by player position and has been mentioned already, but coaching will be huge for both teams.

Purdue has Final Four experience, IU has mastered the 3am Taco Bell run! Do you know Purdue has more top 25 wins last year than IU has had in the last TEN years! Do you know Woodsons last college game was a loss too Purdue in the NCAA tournament!

Agree with this, I expect IU to be significantly improved, although not as good as the IU faithful are hoping. NCAAT 5 to 7 seed seems reasonable, although I wouldn't be shocked to see them do a little better, depending upon how good the Big Ten is.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18

What is "Sleepers"? Thanks.

Heard from a very reliable source how much Gillis got in NIL from Duke and it’s starter money. I figured the veteran leadership on the floor will go a long way.
And just how much is starter money? It really shouldn't be hush hush since it in theory all public knowledge?

Agree with this, I expect IU to be significantly improved, although not as good as the IU faithful are hoping. NCAAT 5 to 7 seed seems reasonable, although I wouldn't be shocked to see them do a little better, depending upon how good the Big Ten is.
Well the bar is low so they should be better and they bought good players. Can Woodson save his job and get them to gel? Stay tuned

I don’t believe they are more talented than us at every position but PG! I think TKR as a 5 is a better all around player than Ballo. Especially on the offensive end and doesn’t really fall short on defense either. Braden is definitely better. Fletcher is at worst a draw and I’m not sure he will maintain his starting role with the competition from Colvin who appears to be working his butt off this offseason and I feel makes a big jump. I also would not be surprised to see Harris challenge for PT. So that leaves Heide, Catchings and Furst to compare to Reneau, Mgbako and likely Tucker. All other them have strong points to argue and I predict Catchings out performs Tucker on the year. The others in my opinion just might be a draw.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT