ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Recruiting younger Thompson?

Sep 9, 2009
Is Purdue recruiting the younger Thompson, Isaiah (sp)?

I follow this board regularly but don't post. For clarity, I am an Indiana supporter but don't think that has anything to do with my question. I'm honestly asking how hard Purdue is recruiting him. Is he a Big 10 type of talent?

I haven't seen him in person. I saw he was at the Indiana game last night but don't know much about his game (similar to his brother?) or about his recruitment.

Figuring this was the place to ask.

He's a 2019 from Zionsville. About the only thing I do know.

Thx.

I follow this board regularly but don't post. For clarity, I am an Indiana supporter but don't think that has anything to do with my question. I'm honestly asking how hard Purdue is recruiting him. Is he a Big 10 type of talent?

I haven't seen him in person. I saw he was at the Indiana game last night but don't know much about his game (similar to his brother?) or about his recruitment.

Thx.
yes

That explains their interest then if he has an offer.

His game? Similar to PJ?

I'll have to defer on this one. Never seen him play. From what I've read, he has more of a scorer's mentality than his brother who is a great shooter when open but mainly just takes care of the ball and facilitates the offense.

Last edited:
Purdue didn’t offer PJ until the spring of his senior year, while Isaiah was offered before his junior year, so I would guess that Isaiah is ahead of where PJ was at the same point in his career. I believe that the main thing that held PJ back was his height and Isaiah is taller.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
Purdue didn’t offer PJ until the spring of his senior year, while Isaiah was offered before his junior year, so I would guess that Isaiah is ahead of where PJ was at the same point in his career. I believe that the main thing that held PJ back was his height and Isaiah is taller.

Did anyone else catch that the other night Dakich made the following statement?
"The younger Thompson is higher rated, but he will NOT have a better career than PJ"

I like PJ a lot, so I say this with the utmost respect for his play - I wouldn't say he's set the bar incredibly high.

"The younger Thompson is higher rated, but he will NOT have a better career than PJ"

I like PJ a lot, so I say this with the utmost respect for his play - I wouldn't say he's set the bar incredibly high.

Suffice it to say that many people, and especially coaches like CMP and Dakich, have a much greater appreciation for PJ than you seem to.

I dunno man. I just think PJ is quiet in what he does and how he does it. Great shooter. Great passer. Usually the 3rd or even 4th option when on the floor...which I think helps his offensive #s. Hard to lock down a team when there are 3 or 4 shooters out there.

He is what he is. Its clear what he lacks, but statistically he has been very good for us and will be missed.

His brother is honestly a pure scorer. A touch over 6ft if I recall. Definitely more advanced than PJ was at the same time in school. Looks to be a top 100 recruit at this point but that could always change.

Thx.
Google is your friend.

Yes we have offered and no he is more of a scorer than PJ is.

The younger Thompson is around a 200 recruit, though some think that's a tad low. PJ was around 320 his Sr year.

Not sure where he is on Archie's list. Thought you guys were prioritizing Anthony, Carton, Beverly and Hemenway in the backcourt for '19.

That's a little nuts. He has the highest A/T Ratio in Purdue history and hits 3's at 50+%.

I can’t even touch this nonsense. PJ was a stellar college basketball PG. His loss next year will be missed dearly.

I can’t even touch this nonsense. PJ was a stellar college basketball PG. His loss next year will be missed dearly.
He’ll be missed, but I think that Nojel will be a much improved player in a year and will have the size to do things on defense that PJ never could. I think the Carsen/Nojel backcourt will be solid next season.

Anyone that doesn't appreciate PJ's career at Purdue doesn't understand solid basketball. He's not necessarily a pro (maybe he will play overseas), he's not all-conference and he's not going to fill up a stat sheet...but any player that leads Purdue's all time assist to turnover ratio stat, and plays as many minutes for as many years as PJ has is the cornerstone of a successful program.

Dackich has gushed over PJ multiple times in a couple of games last year That I can remember. He loves PJ

I don't recall the specifics, but PJ was an after thought. Matt and Owens liked him, and were real close to offering earlier and then a recruit they sought moved on and they offered PJ late. PJ is a special is all team and that doesn't come around all that often. Last year in the regional at Jeff I went to see Isiah and Phinisee square off. A point guard that Larry Angle had (Greg Hall) that we played is now an asst. principle at Zionsville and he saw me walk in the gym and we talked for a bit(his wife is a brother-in-laws niece). He told me Isiah was a good player and person, but Phinisee was more mature and developed and McCutcheon had already beat them twice that year...I think 8 to 10 pts.

McCutcheon beat them again, but I thought McCutcheon had a better supporting cast around phinisee. I'm trying to recall now (I wrote on it months ago) but I believe Zionsville played 2-3 zone until half way through the third quarter and McCutcheon played man (may have pressed some too...can't recall since it really didn't do anything if they did). Only due to a few switches did Phinisee guard Isiah and Isiah was fine. When Zionsville came out of the zone (behind) most of the last 12 minutes Isiah did in fact guard Phinisee. Isiah didn't shut him down, but Phinisee never scored any or very much either on Isiah either. What I was most surprised was that Isiah could stay with him on D...that as young and physically under developed...he had enough quickness to stay with Phinisee. Isiah is taller and not near as stocky as PJ. He has good genes and there are reasons to believe he has a good head on his shoulders.

So most on here feel comfortable saying that Isaiah will not be as good as pj?

I just said I can’t make that statement...I don’t think there’s anything “nonsense” or “nuts” about refusing to make a statement like that.

PJ’s been a very solid PG and nothing I said was inflammatory. I’m usually the one touting his accomplishments.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Isaiah Thompson as a freshman was a top 100 recruit. His fairing fell a little, but I am not exactly sure why. He is about 2 inches taller than PJ and he is a pure scorer. He dropped 40 points in a game a short while back. Everybody that watches him immediately says he is the real deal. At this point his game his nothing like PJs, but he just has "it". The kid is a winner and he plays hard.

I am surprised so many folks didn't know he had an offer. Yes, he absolutely does have an offer and he earned it. I think being PJs brother helped him get the offer early, but he defintaly gets an offer even if he wasn't related to PJ. Purdue should be the front runner given that he has been there a ton. He was shooting around after a Purdue practice one day too and that kid can shoot.

As for recruiting him hard, I am not sure how to answer that. He's been on more visits and been with the team more than any recruit I can think of in recent memory and Purdue offered him. He has a big following of Purdue fans on Twitter and all of the players on the roster are close with him. He said he wants a family feeling with his team like PJ has, but he is still shopping around. He is looking at Butler and some other Midwest schools. His raising surprises me, but once he gets some college coaching he will be a heck of a player. It is unfair to compare him to his brother.

I just said I can’t make that statement...I don’t think there’s anything “nonsense” or “nuts” about refusing to make a statement like that.

PJ’s been a very solid PG and nothing I said was inflammatory. I’m usually the one touting his accomplishments.

You said PJ didn’t set the bar high. Was that supposed to sound like a compliment? Maybe I took it wrong, I don’t know.

Reactions: Zaphod_B

Maybe it’s the way that you said it. It sounded like your emphasis was on PJ not setting the bar high, rather Isaiah being able to exceed the high bar that PJ set.

I don’t think that DD was intending to be taken literally. That was just his way of praising PJ. DD likes to overstate his positions to get a reaction.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Suffice it to say that many people, and especially coaches like CMP and Dakich, have a much greater appreciation for PJ than you seem to.

Well, let's be honest....And I say this acknowledging that PJ is a good, hard nosed player. But, do you think he would start for any other B10 team? Most 5'9 guards who are not good athletes, can't create their own shot and are not great ball handlers usually don't find themselves in the B10.
His main benefit is that during his entire career, the PU offense has been inside out. So, basically his job has always been to throw it into a 7 footer or 1st team AA and then hit open 3s when they come. He's done well at what he's been asked to do and that' why is assist/TO ratio is what it is.

Reactions: Viguy

Define 'stellar'? Is that the same as 'great'? Not sure I agree. He's decent, but not 'stellar'. A stellar PG has to be a 5 tool player. PJ is a 2 tool player.

Reactions: DannyGranger
The younger Thompson is around a 200 recruit, though some think that's a tad low. PJ was around 320 his Sr year.

Not sure where he is on Archie's list. Thought you guys were prioritizing Anthony, Carton, Beverly and Hemenway in the backcourt for '19.

Wasn’t he around 337 or was it 359....or 388?..

I did not take Dakich comments to imply Isaiah wouldn't be as good a player, but I suspect that the TO to assist ratio of PJ's will last a long time.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Well, let's be honest....And I say this acknowledging that PJ is a good, hard nosed player. But, do you think he would start for any other B10 team? Most 5'9 guards who are not good athletes, can't create their own shot and are not great ball handlers usually don't find themselves in the B10.
His main benefit is that during his entire career, the PU offense has been inside out. So, basically his job has always been to throw it into a 7 footer or 1st team AA and then hit open 3s when they come. He's done well at what he's been asked to do and that' why is assist/TO ratio is what it is.

Given the state of the rest of the Big Ten, yes I would hope he'd be starting in some other places. I think he'd be great at Wisconsin for example because it's a similar formula to Purdue, particularly with Happ in the middle. I'd sure as hell hope Rutgers would be starting him. Michigan seems to like players that can knock down 3's. I would not be stunned if he started there beside the UK transfer in their backcourt.

That said, I'm not at all concerned with how he fits into other teams, just Purdue.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Given the state of the rest of the Big Ten, yes I would hope he'd be starting in some other places. I think he'd be great at Wisconsin for example because it's a similar formula to Purdue, particularly with Happ in the middle. I'd sure as hell hope Rutgers would be starting him. Michigan seems to like players that can knock down 3's. I would not be stunned if he started there beside the UK transfer in their backcourt.

That said, I'm not at all concerned with how he fits into other teams, just Purdue.

I think he would start at some MAC programs but I think there's very little room for 5'9, athletically challenged PGs in the B10.

If I were an opposing coach, I would overplay PJ and force him to put the ball on the floor. I'd never let him get an open look at a 3. He can hurt you from 3, but not off the bounce or going to the rim.

Appears there was room for one as a starter on last year's B10 champs.
That's true, but again, PJ is asked to do very little: Dump the ball into a 7 footer or AA, shoot open 3's and play some D. That's it. He doesn't create any problems for the opposing D and if his shot's not falling, it's not like he can just start taking it to the rim and scoring or creating open shots for teammates.

I think he would start at some MAC programs but I think there's very little room for 5'9, athletically challenged PGs in the B10.

If I were an opposing coach, I would overplay PJ and force him to put the ball on the floor. I'd never let him get an open look at a 3. He can hurt you from 3, but not off the bounce or going to the rim.
And yet he was the starting PG that helped turn around a faltering program and go on to a B10 championship. I think there are other B10 teams that would make room for that.

Reactions: TC4THREE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT