ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Only Playing 1 Half

Jbigler1986

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 16, 2015
Why is it that we only seem to play 1 half of a game. We either play great in the first half and get a good lead. Then in the 2nd half they just fall apart and either lose the lead and the game or let the other team team back and make it way closer than it should be. Other times we play horrible in the 1st half then come out strong in the 2nd half and end up winning the game. The only game I can think of that we played a "FULL" game was at home against IU. If we plan on even winning 1 game in the tourny we need to start playing the 1st and 2nd half great. Example: Big Ten tourny game against Wisky. Played awesome in the 1st half then fell flat on our face in the 2nd half. This can't continue if we plan on going anywhere in the tourny. #BTFU

Patience, grasshopper. 12 months ago we were the worst team in the B1G and getting ready to revamp the entire team. Today we're in as a 9 seed when most talking heads predicted a bottom of the conference finish again. We are a very young team with a load of young talent. The team chemistry is better than it's been in years and we're starting to put it together. Next season we'll have a lot of experience at all positions except possibly PG but I don't think you can downplay even the time BS and PJ have spent on the floor this season by the time next year gets here. Playing a whole game comes with maturity and experience. We'll get there but I don't expect to get there this week.

I realize that we are still young. Hopefully we can pull together a full game for the tourny. Although I do not see it happening. Even with us playing only 1 half of a game I think since the start of the B1G I think the Wisky game in the tourny was the first loss over 10 points. Which is pretty amazing actually. We have been in every conference game this season. I have faith that we can beat Cincy. I have a bad feeling about Ken though. Hopefully I am wrong though. I hope AJ returns next season. Bringing in Cline and Weatherford. We will be very very dangerous. Can't wait. Would enjoy an early Bday present seeing us getting a best ever upset win in the tourny.

There's a part of me that wants us down by 3-4 pts at half time. I think the team and coaches make more adjustments and we come out real focused in the 2nd half. When we lead at half, we come out sluggish and take bad shots and have sloppy passes. I agree, the home game against IU was the only time this year I have seen a solid game from start to finish.

Re: Purdue Only Playing 1 Half Purdue scenario...

seems to be start out game and start running offense. Tough defensive effort from opponent plus good shooting by opponent plus poor shooting by PU results in significant deficit. Panic ensues and team begins to take bad shots to try to stem the tide and come back. If it happens in the first half, we seem to be able to regroup at halftime and come out in second halt running good offense and playing good D. If it happens in the second half we are SOL and lose.

I agree with 84. Given the way we've played over the past 5 games, I like our chances more being down a few at halftime than being up.

Purdue seems to play better with a chip on its shoulder than as a favorite anyway.

Seems like Vince is afraid to assert himself when we get in rut. Hard to be really good in bball if your natural leaders are not your best offensive players. Kramer was an exception.

About Kramer, more than once when the Boilers started a game or the second half slowly/lethargically it was CK who took the ball to the rim. I think on a lesser team he could have been one of the leading scorers. At Purdue, we had plenty of offense usually but needed him to lock down the other team's best scorer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT