ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue at Wisconsin MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

There are some nice pieces, but we can't seem to put it all together. I'm hoping for game to game improvement this season and being competitive next year. Maybe that's expecting too much at this point?

There are some nice pieces, but we can't seem to put it all together. I'm hoping for game to game improvement this season and being competitive next year. Maybe that's expecting too much at this point?
gonna be a 3 or 4 yr thing

Odd end with the 2 point, made no sense really. Purdue on the O and D line isn’t good, I said that in game 1 and nothing has changed my mind, looking like a 3-4 win team to me. Hopefully, some young guys on both side get a ton of work and get better because right now two bad units!

Odd end with the 2 point, made no sense really. Purdue on the O and D line isn’t good, I said that in game 1 and nothing has changed my mind, looking like a 3-4 win team to me. Hopefully, some young guys on both side get a ton of work and get better because right now two bad units!
That's my take, too. The turnovers and tackling have been frustrating, but Purdue desperately needs better athletes in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Or, the staff needs to do much more to develop the players they have. Neither line is very imposing right now.

During the post game presser, CRW said that he needs to figure out what he is missing because we seem to be so close.......
Missing? Let's try, coaching experience.
For three and a half years we had another coach that told us that game film was showing that very small and correctable mistakes were keeping us from winning...

Another concern, when you are losing and you are losing games each week for different reasons.
IMO, Purdue does not look like a well coached team......

During the post game presser, CRW said that he needs to figure out what he is missing because we seem to be so close.......
Missing? Let's try, coaching experience.
For three and a half years we had another coach that told us that game film was showing that very small and correctable mistakes were keeping us from winning...

Another concern, when you are losing and you are losing games each week for different reasons.
IMO, Purdue does not look like a well coached team......
I like Walters, but hard to argue with you.

I like him as well. The product on the field, I do not like,nothing personal,no hate.
Do we hope he figures it out? How long can we wait if so? Did Hazell figure it out? Not aware of him surfacing anywhere. Did he?
Fickle goes to Wisc. Prime ends up in Colorado. Not really excited about how Purdue searches and hires their head coaches. Is it a Purdue thing?

And lastly, how long does he get?

Do we hope he figures it out? How long can we wait if so? Did Hazell figure it out? Not aware of him surfacing anywhere. Did he?
Fickle goes to Wisc. Prime ends up in Colorado. Not really excited about how Purdue searches and hires their head coaches. Is it a Purdue thing?

With the climate of college football…2 years. Luckily I think we’d only owe him 12 million if we cut him loose after year 2. If it’s this bad with no dramatic improvement after next year you have to move on. The on the field negatives will soon creep into national perception, recruitng, etc.

Couple that with being able to fill a roster quickly with the portal, the days of giving a guy 4 years and waiting and slogging through terrible football are over.

As somebody said earlier in the thread…you can like Walters as a person but also identify this team is woefully underprepared and vastly out coached each game in almost every facet. He’ll get time to improve…but clock is sure as heck ticking…and ticking loudly.

Reactions: tenwest
We all saw and know what we have! Offense has the tools to score if given the blocking which got much better, not good, when our #1 center entered and played but overall the line play is poor! Defense is a step slow since game 1 and misses too many tackles every game!

Coach has chosen to run his Defensive scheme despite not having the personnel to do so which will mean a long year! Good news is with the portal and a full recruiting year all can be fixed in a year or two.

Last edited:
We all saw and know what we have! Offense has the tools to score if given the blocking which got much better, not good, when our #1 center entered and played but the line is poor! Defense is a step slow since game 1 and misses too many tackles every game!

Coach has chosen to run his Defensive scheme despite not having the personnel to do so which will mean a long year! Good news is with the portal and a full recruiting year all can be fixed in a year or two.
Agree with you on all but the portal. Except for Card, maybe the starting CB's, and a couple of young TBD's Purdue did not well, and see no reason that will change. Think us fans are placing way too much hope in it.

I want to see some fire on the sidelines, when someone messes up let them know, he doesn't change facial expressions. Let see some emotion! If DC says he liked 95% again, fire him on the spot because evidently he doesn't know what defense is. Defense is very vanilla...better in second half with blitzes need more stunts and mixing up coverages. Offense need get rbs in space, some screens, tosses simple passes out of back field, some of these plays take to long to happen and two defenders are already in backfield. One thing for brohm he would throw in a trick play, I think gotta try some even one through first four games.

Reactions: pboiler18
The "special" special teams. Missed an important point after in preceding weeks and field goals. 20 yard punt from deep in our side of the field. Opponents long returns and the lack on an additional 15 yard penalty. Need improvement there, but those penalties must end.

That's my take, too. The turnovers and tackling have been frustrating, but Purdue desperately needs better athletes in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Or, the staff needs to do much more to develop the players they have. Neither line is very imposing right now.
Exactly, they showed some replays where Wisky’s O line blew the Purdue line off the line tremendously.

I want to see some fire on the sidelines, when someone messes up let them know, he doesn't change facial expressions. Let see some emotion! If DC says he liked 95% again, fire him on the spot because evidently he doesn't know what defense is. Defense is very vanilla...better in second half with blitzes need more stunts and mixing up coverages. Offense need get rbs in space, some screens, tosses simple passes out of back field, some of these plays take to long to happen and two defenders are already in backfield. One thing for brohm he would throw in a trick play, I think gotta try some even one through first four games.
Brohm would be getting Burks 12-15 touches a game. Im not sure if that would change our outcomes, but he's pretty exciting to watch. I'd like to see ole Harrell come up with some other ways to get him the ball.

Reactions: Rutherak1
2 penalties after the 2 big plays on the first 2 drives got us in a hole. Just couldn't dig out of it. We played like a different team in the 2nd half.

Exactly, they showed some replays where Wisky’s O line blew the Purdue line off the line tremendously.
they did but they also hold alot, there were 2 holds on their QB TD run and that one pass block by Kpaka he was being held you could see on replay a big handful of black jersey. When they will play a better it'll be called

IMO he deserves the chance to coach kids he recruited… there are no breathers on this year’s schedule, but beyond that he must show the ability to recruit and develop players.

Next season will tell us a lot.

Reactions: tenwest
IMO he deserves the chance to coach kids he recruited… there are no breathers on this year’s schedule, but beyond that he must show the ability to recruit and develop players.

he's gonna need 3 yrs to show, a coach's first recruiting class doesn't really help it's just damage control as w/ ours

Brohm would be getting Burks 12-15 touches a game. Im not sure if that would change our outcomes, but he's pretty exciting to watch. I'd like to see ole Harrell come up with some other ways to get him the ball.
Brohm played Tracy out of position and left us with a worse o-line than he had. He knew this was going to be a major rebuilding project, and his recruiting classes had a lot of misses. Really doubt Allen would be better playing behind this line than Card. This is mostly the same team that got blown out by LSU, and that is all on Brohm.

I have seen coaches do great jobs at coaching and it not show up in the win column. I'm not seeing a well coached team and too much OJT going on while being paid to be a Power 5 Coach..... No hate, it is what it is......

I have seen coaches do great jobs at coaching and it not show up in the win column. I'm not seeing a well coached team and too much OJT going on while being paid to be a Power 5 Coach..... No hate, it is what it is......
Imo, this is the first coach we've hired that is all in at purdue in a long time. He deserves time.

Brohm played Tracy out of position and left us with a worse o-line than he had. He knew this was going to be a major rebuilding project, and his recruiting classes had a lot of misses. Really doubt Allen would be better playing behind this line than Card. This is mostly the same team that got blown out by LSU, and that is all on Brohm.
This is not a good or accurate take

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT