ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue at Maryland: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

It was physical down low, but Purdue missed a ton of layups and short shots, of which they had been making. Need to clean that up vs the Illini on Friday. BoilerUp

Still say Heide and Colvin and Furst need more minutes. Morton caused a last second heave to avoid a shot clock violation because he refuses to shoot. And Fletch could use less minutes, with his frail body fatigue is always an issue . Love Jones’s defense- he is the big difference. Can’t run the horse into the ground use that bench
Only problem I have with more minutes for Furst is that he seems to bobble every ball thrown his way. His hands are worse than anybody on the team.

Only problem I have with more minutes for Furst is that he seems to bobble every ball thrown his way. His hands are worse than anybody on the team.
More bobbles per minute than even Edey....who at least when he bobbles is being assaulted every time.

Reactions: 02BoilerUp
Much rather see Heide and Colvin get Morton’s minutes - I know Colvin is somewhat limited defensively still but Morton is like playing 5 on 4 when we have the ball
I do think Heide actually played better and should’ve earned more minutes than Morton. Morton appeared a step slow so he switched too much leading to the need for the team to end up in a defensive rotation

• Love
Reactions: Boiler Buck
It was physical down low, but Purdue missed a ton of layups and short shots, of which they had been making. Need to clean that up vs the Illini on Friday. BoilerUp
Blocking out and rebounding could get cleaned up as well. Good win on the road but they have things to work on, which is good.

Much rather see Heide and Colvin get Morton’s minutes - I know Colvin is somewhat limited defensively still but Morton is like playing 5 on 4 when we have the ball

Morton looked bad today. Agree with 5on4. Heide is better option as Heide D isn't quite as good, getting close though.....but world's better on O. Morton should sit unless a slower guy is going off.

I do think Heide actually played better and should’ve earned more minutes than Morton. Morton appeared a step slow so he switched too much leading to the need for the team to end up in a defensive rotation
Morton was an absolute zero in this game. Heide hit a 3 and grabbed a couple boards at least. Morton is never ready to shoot even in short clock situations. Bad rotations by Painter tonight all around I thought.

Morton & Furst sure did not help their cause for more minutes tonight.

Morton has had some nice stretches this season, BUT how Morton got 12 minutes tonight, is amazing, but another nod to CMP stubborness concerning Morton, who was a negative on both sides tonight.....but somehow was awarded with 12 minutes??

Heide should have had 15-18 minutes tonight. Had 10 minutes & 3pts, 3R

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
Still say Heide and Colvin and Furst need more minutes. Morton caused a last second heave to avoid a shot clock violation because he refuses to shoot. And Fletch could use less minutes, with his frail body fatigue is always an issue . Love Jones’s defense- he is the big difference. Can’t run the horse into the ground use that bench
Lance is huge for Purdue. I like his D away from the ball when the offensive player is trying to go to a screen. He finds the offensive player and goes into him a bit to buy some room to get over the screen. Can’t push him but contact disrupts the timing and buys space… the way you used to see good defensive players away from the ball handle back cuts and screens away from the ball. I approve! He is very good on the ball, but sometimes those players are not very good away from the ball.

Agree with most of that.

Usually agree on Furst getting more time. Tonight, not so much.

I love what Heide brings, but Maryland was providing a lot of pressure and I think that Painter felt like he needed another ball handler on the court when either Smith or Jones was out.

Edit: Meant to reply to the post about Morton.

Last edited:
Painter seems to have been gun shy about giving more minutes to Heide over Morton since the NW and Iowa game. Heide got abused by Buie but who else beside Jones wasn't getting cooked? Then Morton steam rolled Iowa by himself in the 1st half. Ever since that stretch, Painter has given more minutes to Morton. If its going to be 5on4 Painter has to get Heide in the game.

Furst is so lost right now. He has the worst hands in all of college bball. Looks like he is trying to catch three balls at the same time when they pass it to him. Also is too slow with post moves and teams come from the weak side and steal the ball. Also he has completely regressed from even last year shooting the ball! The only time he has been effective all year is when he plays the 4 and the other team has a more traditional power forward that Furst can physically match up with. He isn't bad on defense but is a total 0 on offense same as Morton.

Right now the rotation is trimming down to 8. With Gillis, Morton and Heide in the circle of trust.

I would change the sub pattern to have TKR come in for Edey's first break after rests some from the early Gillis substitution. TKR can play the 5 with Gillis at the 4. Its crazy TKR gets less than 20 minutes/night consistently. I would give the 6 minutes Furst got tonight to him at the 5.

I am not worried about Fletcher minutes as he usually plays less than 30 minutes a game. Its Edey and Smith that will be exhausted through the season. Without those two on the floor together for most of the game, Purdue wont win anything of substance.

• Love
Iowa. We were up by 30+ in the 2nd half but the game ended up as a 17 point win. I think we scored 8 points the final 12 or so minutes.
Painter really doesn’t like to run up the score which is probably why Houston is ranked a little higher in KenPom and Torvik.

Reactions: tenwest
Gave up a few second chance rebounds, but I agree TJ - fairly solid tonight with fewer breakdowns. Reese a no-show on the scoreboard really hurt Maryland.

Survived your buddy, Szelc, too. :)
Yes, some were bad bounces and others they just out quicked Purdue to the ball…and they had a lot of chances for offensive rebounds. Agree that Reese not going was a big plus for Purdue and one I thought important for Purdue.

There were times Purdue was trying to keep them out of the lane on D that they almost gave a 2-3 zone appearance with all the sag for everyone not on the ball.

For the most part there was some impressive play under the circumstances. Braden threw one away when he misread the coverage on Zach rolling and tried to pass it to Mason at the top of the key…something they put in a game or two ago that worked well previously…and a time he jumped up and didn’t have anyone to pass the ball at the top of the key. Made him mad enough he pulled up the next time down the court and drained a 3. 😊

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
My wife who’s a novice fan said is it me or is this game boring, I laughed and said we like those lol
I have never been bored watching any Purdue game. There are too many things I like or dislike in every game to be bored, but I know many people are not like me and that is good for a lot of reasons

Reactions: Schnelk
I have never been bored watching any Purdue game. There are too many things I like or dislike in every game to be bored, but I know many people are not like me and that is good for a lot of reasons
I missed the game due to being on a flight and started to watch the replay and turned it off because it was so boring. Maryland was baaaaad—passing and shooting.

I haven’t looked is that home or away?

I missed the game due to being on a flight and started to watch the replay and turned it off because it was so boring. Maryland was baaaaad—passing and shooting.
Ha haha…I’ll probably watch it again. Maybe I have a boring life ? Kim…don’t know if she will watch it or not, but many times if time is available she will watch it again

Home with technically no students…but hopefully they show up. Illini just thumped northwestern by 30 at home 👀👀

I assume Lance will be guarding his old teammate, Domask, on Friday.

Illinois has looked great all year. Love their scoring.....last 3 games 96+. Even without Shannon they move the ball and rebound and play team ball. Hit the 3. Alot of weapons. Domask had a big game, and Harmon is playing well for a youngster. We sure will have to play a whole lot better than we did against M to beat them.

Reactions: DrEss
Illinois has looked great all year. Love their scoring.....last 3 games 96+. Even without Shannon they move the ball and rebound and play team ball. Hit the 3. Alot of weapons. Domask had a big game, and Harmon is playing well for a youngster. We sure will have to play a whole lot better than we did against M to beat them.
Hopefully Mackey, even without the students, can slow them down a bit. Should be a good game.

Home with technically no students…but hopefully they show up. Illini just thumped northwestern by 30 at home 👀👀

I assume Lance will be guarding his old teammate, Domask, on Friday.
Yeah, found that out last night and thought the same about Domask. Caught a bit of that game and Illinois at the time actually cleared half the court for him to go one on one. Wondered how Purdue would defend that. You can flood an area of the court with too many players and Illinois had 4 on the outside of the lane away from Domask. Three players can effectively defend the four away from the ball allowing Zach to lay in the lane a bit, but too much focus on Domask by Zach and Illinois slips a body towards the basket that must be picked up. No doubt Matt prefers to have one person defend him and not sure how much Lance has actually defended Domask, but he will know some of his tendencies and what he likes to do. Just hope the game isn't a one or two possession game where his one on one play is as important. Being Mackey should be a big help, but he will be comfortable when playing at home.

Hopefully Mackey, even without the students, can slow them down a bit. Should be a good game.

At least it won't be the a boring B10 pace we saw last night. Goode gets motivated to play well against us. But all Illinois guys are ballin with offense hitting on all cylinders.

But Edey should present problems for them. While students gone....still will be a sellout of crazed, loud Mackey fans. Going to be a fun watch, similar to AZ game again least offensively.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
At least it won't be the a boring B10 pace we saw last night. Goode gets motivated to play well against us. But all Illinois guys are ballin with offense hitting on all cylinders.

But Edey should present problems for them. While students gone....still will be a sellout of crazed, loud Mackey fans. Going to be a fun watch, similar to AZ game again least offensively.
Cut that shot clock down to 20 seconds and the pace goes up even more

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT