ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue 1983 Basketball Film

The year we beat the Soviet professionals! This looks like a basketball recruiting video.

Thank you, TX4GB!

I have posted on this game in a few "remembrance threads," and hopefully some will enjoy another trip down memory lane.....pardon the indulgence for this Boiler alum.

One of my best friends and I had just witnessed a disappointing Old Oaken Bucket game with Purdue threatening at the very end near the goal....just to see the Boilers' hopes go up in flames with QB Scott Campbell getting sacked in a 13-7 defeat. As we wandered slowly out of the stadium, the conversation turned toward the basketball team - "Hey....they're playing the Soviet Union today......wanna check it out?" Little did we know what we were in store for.

The Soviet team was very, very good and featured a young and incredibly gifted Arvydas Sabonis (before the injuries), who had a couple of amazing plays and one absolutely thunderous slam dunk. Purdue played very well going man-to-man and toe-to-toe with the Soviets, controlling the action most of the game.

Though not quite a full arena, the crowd was absolutely raucous the whole game My buddy and I kept commenting....."man, I hope they can keep this up.....this is incredible" but once or twice thinking perhaps it wouldn't last. Purdue held a one-point lead late when during a loose ball that Purdue garnered, they tried to call time-out but weren't granted one....Soviets took the possession.....the PA announcer then stated "Under international rules, only the coach can call time-out!" A chorus of boos rained down....just like in conference play! Of course, the Soviets scored to go up a point late in the game.....Purdue had one last chance....

As they advanced the ball into the front-court time was ticking....it seemed like it was taking forever to get the play going....not going to make it in time it appears.....then the Boilers got the ball to Curt Clawson in the corner.....he rises and fires......and the ball seemed like it hung in the air for 5 or 10 seconds.....buzzer sounds.....and IT's GOOD!!!! My buddy and I were already starting to jump, and it was like everybody's (10,000+) arms went straight up in unison......one of the loudest roars I've heard anywhere...pure bedlam for several minutes.

Reactions: TX4GB
Thank you, TX4GB!

I have posted on this game in a few "remembrance threads," and hopefully some will enjoy another trip down memory lane.....pardon the indulgence for this Boiler alum.

One of my best friends and I had just witnessed a disappointing Old Oaken Bucket game with Purdue threatening at the very end near the goal....just to see the Boilers' hopes go up in flames with QB Scott Campbell getting sacked in a 13-7 defeat. As we wandered slowly out of the stadium, the conversation turned toward the basketball team - "Hey....they're playing the Soviet Union today......wanna check it out?" Little did we know what we were in store for.

The Soviet team was very, very good and featured a young and incredibly gifted Arvydas Sabonis (before the injuries), who had a couple of amazing plays and one absolutely thunderous slam dunk. Purdue played very well going man-to-man and toe-to-toe with the Soviets, controlling the action most of the game.

Though not quite a full arena, the crowd was absolutely raucous the whole game My buddy and I kept commenting....."man, I hope they can keep this up.....this is incredible" but once or twice thinking perhaps it wouldn't last. Purdue held a one-point lead late when during a loose ball that Purdue garnered, they tried to call time-out but weren't granted one....Soviets took the possession.....the PA announcer then stated "Under international rules, only the coach can call time-out!" A chorus of boos rained down....just like in conference play! Of course, the Soviets scored to go up a point late in the game.....Purdue had one last chance....

As they advanced the ball into the front-court time was ticking....it seemed like it was taking forever to get the play going....not going to make it in time it appears.....then the Boilers got the ball to Curt Clawson in the corner.....he rises and fires......and the ball seemed like it hung in the air for 5 or 10 seconds.....buzzer sounds.....and IT's GOOD!!!! My buddy and I were already starting to jump, and it was like everybody's (10,000+) arms went straight up in unison......one of the loudest roars I've heard anywhere...pure bedlam for several minutes.
Thanks for the story! I didn’t realize it was Sabonis out there. Wow. Soviets won the gold in the 1988 Olympics which led to the Dream Team being formed in 92. He had a good career with Portland Trailblazers. Russell Cross was great in that game against their size.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT