ADVERTISEMENT

PU President publicly states he hates NIL

Not sure why he did that, Purdue athletics very soon if they don’t want to adapt will be lower level Big Ten, if this is the case count me out on attending games keeping my season tickets.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I believe in a few months there will be many other NCAA presidents echoing his words. and maybe a few coaches as well.

to me it appears as if mitch is taking a bold stand and leading a new movement. he's actually taking action. that's something you don't see much of lately.

Hmmm - a person in a leadership position clearing stating their position on an issue we all know is wrecking the college environment - without regard to the optics.
What a fresh take.
Love it.
See if any others are bold enough to echo his thoughts….

if purdue prefers club sports
zach edey could easily lead them to
another club basketball national championship

i wonder where painter might go
if club teams have no coaches or would pay him no $

Last edited:
I’m glad he has the integrity to speak his mind rather than compromise the principles of a highly respected university. Leave setting up fake charitable organizations as a means to funnel money to players to other “schools”, along with obvious pay for play schemes. Most of those places long ago walked away from their academic missions by introducing General Studies majors and easy admissions as a means of attracting good players.

I would have no problem with Mitch attempting to be a modern-day President Smart and help form a conference or association of schools that truly reform intercollegiate athletics.

Even if Purdue ostensibly goes "all in" on NIL, will we really be able to compete with Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, most of the SEC, etc. on the football side? What's the point?

I am likely in the minority, but this jacked up arms race is a turn-off. Nothing lasts forever and I would be proud if Purdue told the NCAA to kick rocks.

Many trolls over on this board that think his view is comical. I personally like his view as it stands firm on his beliefs.

Some believe kids should be paid as amateurs and we wonder why those same adults treat these kids as polished adults. Kids need to learn the ability to earn that money through hard work and knowledge. This just isn't happening at the age of 18....no way!

Most people hate nil. We all know this. Still should have kept his mouth shut.
Nah, maybe for you. President means he's a leader of what he speaks and stands for. To many people nowadays aren't built to handle being in a leadership position and can't handle what they speak.

You have your opinion, but like you said "most people hate the NIL". You see where he separates himself as a leader?

Nah, maybe for you. President means he's a leader of what he speaks and stands for. To many people nowadays aren't built to handle being in a leadership position and can't handle what they speak.

You have your opinion, but like you said "most people hate the NIL". You see where he separates himself as a leader?
Being a leader also means having tact and not saying things that actively sabotage your recruiting. We almost lost brohm how many times? Can't imagine he was too happy to have this said publicly.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Being a leader also means having tact and not saying things that actively sabotage your recruiting. We almost lost brohm how many times? Can't imagine he was too happy to have this said publicly.
Sabotage recruiting? Because some don't want to play the "pay to play" game. Look, the NCAA lost control of teams that continually cheated, but were bringing to much money to the hands of the NCAA. If Mitch/CMP like to stay clean... then I'm for it.

I like people that speak what they truly mean. I would hate to have a coach, president or athletic director that would tell fans untruthful words.

Why do you feel we almost lost brohm? Because he never left for his home program? Sounds odd to me....doesn't it? If brohm leaves it's not because of Mitch.

Last edited:
According to @Victorbmyboy we’re about to get our teeth kicked in re NIL. LOL
You are. It’s funny the spin you guys throw at it. Good luck. Still think the schools pay blowing wind and shade at NIL. The NCAA didn’t make the rules, the courts did. Your holier than thou take. It’s short sighted and funny. I still can’t believe you guys still don’t understand how this sh!t works.

Sabotage recruiting? Because some don't want to play the "pay to play" game. Look, the NCAA lost control of teams that continually cheated, but were bringing to much money to the hands of the NCAA. If Mitch/CMP like to stay clean... then I'm for it.

I like people that speak what they truly mean. I would hate to have a coach, president or athletic director that would tell fans untruthful words.

Why do you feel we almost lost brohm? Because he never left for his home program? Sounds odd to me....doesn't it? If brohm leaves it's not because of Mitch.
It’s not that PU doesn’t want to play. Don’t be so obtuse. It’s not how you “feel”. It’s how it is. Good luck.

You are. It’s funny the spin you guys throw at it. Good luck. Still think the schools pay. Your holier than thou take. It’s short sighted and funny. I still can’t believe you guys still don’t understand how this sh!t works.
No, I can't believe you're still here. I like how you claim to know more than Purdue. You claim to know more than Alabama. Are you serious right now??? Dude, you're clueless and have zero clue how this works.

Tell me what makes you know more about this? I can guarantee it's not the internals of the deals or contracts these athlete's are getting. So, what makes you know more? Nothing!

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
He's troll!! The poor guy has nothing better to do, but troll his rival board. We have been "teeth kicking" his team for the past 6-7 years. Sometimes guys never learn.
A troll just comes to screw with you. I do some but I also discuss. Good luck. I’m hoping for some great games next year. I do mean that.

No, I can't believe you're still here. I like how you claim to know more than Purdue. You claim to know more than Alabama. Are you serious right now??? Dude, you're clueless and have zero clue how this works.

Tell me what makes you know more about this? I can guarantee it's not the internals of the deals or contracts these athlete's are getting. So, what makes you know more? Nothing!
Alabama(Saban) is just butthurt. He has to actually work again. He’s having a hard time not getting what he wants.

Reactions: mathboy
I'm with Mitch, this just another culture driven disaster that will be the end of College sports!
Here we are gas is heading toward $10 a gallon that will drive up every commodity we consume and now we are suppose to come with a bunch of money for some kids can play semi pro ball, people going to have a rough time making ends meet let alone donating to the IU charity of their choice!

Reactions: Schnelk
Bold Strategy in the NIL era, this DEFINITELY won't be used against Purdue Athletics on the recruiting trail.

This was always going to be a problem for universities that didn't cheat. Matt's at a severe disadvantage now. He doesnt like the new rules, the president doesnt like the new rules, etc. Whos working on adapting to the new rules?The odds of getting old now are slim. I wouldn't be surprised if he hung it up sooner than most think.

You are. It’s funny the spin you guys throw at it. Good luck. Still think the schools pay blowing wind and shade at NIL. The NCAA didn’t make the rules, the courts did. Your holier than thou take. It’s short sighted and funny. I still can’t believe you guys still don’t understand how this sh!t works.

Care to elaborate on what you think “getting our teeth kicked in” means?

This was always going to be a problem for universities that didn't cheat. Matt's at a severe disadvantage now. He doesnt like the new rules, the president doesnt like the new rules, etc. Whos working on adapting to the new rules?The odds of getting old now are slim. I wouldn't be surprised if he hung it up sooner than most think.
So far Purdue has lost no one due to the NIL and transfer rules. You might count IT but I doubt he got any NIL money and he wasn't the key to Purdue's future success anyway.

I've said this before but am I the only one that finds it ironic that Purdue fans are so upset because we lost out on a couple of transfers which may or may not have been eligible to play right away under the old rules?

Painter doesn't like it when guys transfer. Says its bad for them personally but he seems to be all in on getting someone to transfer to Purdue. Tell me why that isn't ironic?

BTW, have you figured out the internals of what you call NIL? More specifics, please!
Lol. Do your own research on the wild Wild West of NIL. It’s not governed by the NCAA. It’s a court ruling that lets the student athlete use their name, image and likeness.(even says it defers to state laws) Each state sets the rules. Look at the rules changing in Tennessee, Missouri and Illinois to better position their colleges to use it in their favor. It will change but not to your or Mitch’s liking. Those states are setting it up to let the coaches help set up NIL deals. It’s obvious none of you have paid attention. The NCAA and presidents have zero power. That includes Mitch who wrote that sad article. It’s obvious that PU and Mitch dismissed it. Should I give you extra reading material? Have not even researched any of this? Do I have personal interworking knowledge? No but I do know people who are giving deals to these athletes. Oh and Mitch is getting torched for writing that article.

Last edited:
Lol. Do your own research on the wild Wild West of NIL. It’s not governed by the NCAA. It’s a court ruling that lets the student athlete use their name, image and likeness.(even says it defers to state laws) Each state sets the rules. Look at the rules changing in Tennessee, Missouri and Illinois to better position their colleges to use it in their favor. It will change but not to your or Mitch’s liking. Those states are setting it up to let the coaches help set up NIL deals. It’s obvious none of you have paid attention. The NCAA and presidents have zero power. That includes Mitch who wrote that sad article. It’s obvious that PU and Mitch dismissed it. Should I give you extra reading material? Have not even researched any of this? Do I have personal interworking knowledge? No but I do know people who are giving deals to these athletes. Oh and Mitch is getting torched for writing that article.
The court rulings, along with the actions of several state legislatures, convinced the NCAA to drop their opposition to NIL. But the NCAA absolutely governs it. They’re the regulator and governing body of intercollegiate athletics. Do you not understand this, and are you really as ignorant as you regularly demonstrate here? Indinia fans used to be considered knowledgable about college basketball. Decades of irrelevance has obviously negatively impacted that, with you as a poster child of the Please go be stupid on someone else’s forum.

The court rulings, along with the actions of several state legislatures, convinced the NCAA to drop their opposition to NIL. But the NCAA absolutely governs it. They’re the regulator and governing body of intercollegiate athletics. Do you not understand this, and are you really as ignorant as you regularly demonstrate here? Indinia fans used to be considered knowledgable about college basketball. Decades of irrelevance has obviously negatively impacted that, with you as a poster child of the Please go be stupid on someone else’s forum.
Yep. You really are that ignorant. Funny. The NCAA has minimal guidelines. It specifically states they defer to state laws.

You already have. Your president has set it up.
Doubling down on being clueless is an interesting strategy.

Unless you mean us losing out on Pack for $800k lol? Because 99% of teams would’ve gotten their teeth kicked in with that scenario (including O$U) as well.

Reactions: Poprudy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT