ADVERTISEMENT

Proud of the team

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
They could have hung it up and if I'm honest, I thought the did first half.

But what a spark the O caught and made it into a fun game as the team battled back and nearly won.

Who knew the D signal caller could generate so much Offense.

They could have hung it up and if I'm honest, I thought the did first half.

But what a spark the O caught and made it into a fun game as the team battled back and nearly won.

Who knew the D signal caller could generate so much Offense.
What about his own unit? Cost us the game….

Reactions: SKYDOG
Just saying at least game was competitive, seemed like offense got a different mindset in the 2nd half. Defense just doesn’t have it, whether it’s the players or coaches , when it mattered they couldn’t do it.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Just saying at least game was competitive, seemed like offense got a different mindset in the 2nd half. Defense just doesn’t have it, whether it’s the players or coaches , when it mattered they couldn’t do it.
Doesn’t take most teams 6 weeks to figure out how to do these things.

You say they didn’t quit but I don’t think you can say that. The defense never got off the bus!

Reactions: NVboiler
Let's also not forget that Illinois is where CRW came from so I would expect him to have a bit of insight on how to play him. I find it kind of ironic he took over offensive play calling just in time for this game (my jaded conspiracy hat is on)

What will be telling is how we come out the next game. If we get steam rolled like we have been, then chances are what we saw yesterday was a fluke.

Let's also not forget that Illinois is where CRW came from so I would expect him to have a bit of insight on how to play him. I find it kind of ironic he took over offensive play calling just in time for this game (my jaded conspiracy hat is on)

What will be telling is how we come out the next game. If we get steam rolled like we have been, then chances are what we saw yesterday was a fluke.
Oregon’s gunna name the score.

Reactions: BBG
It took Walters one week to fix the offense calling the plays himself. Now he needs to fix the defense in a week and admit his scheme won't work with the current players. I think that he has the potential to be a great coach who is just learning to be a head coach and concentrate on the Ws, everything else will follow.

It took Walters one week to fix the offense calling the plays himself. Now he needs to fix the defense in a week and admit his scheme won't work with the current players. I think that he has the potential to be a great coach who is just learning to be a head coach and concentrate on the Ws, everything else will follow.
Yesterday was a step in the right direction. Regarding the defense my biggest frustration is the angles the d is taking and poor tackling. Every single game heldt dives in and loses containment. Every single game multiple people go at the inside shoulder of a guy and lose containment....everyone is doing it. I've never seen a team so poor at tackling and containment across the board. It's a nice surprise when you see someone do it correctly. I think it was 40 yesterday who came around the tackle, illinois qb saw him coming and moved to his right, 40 slid to his left to keep containment, and they had to throw the ball away. It doesn't show up as a tackle or tackle for loss but it was a solid football play. The reason it was so noticeable is because it's so rare.

Yesterday was a step in the right direction. Regarding the defense my biggest frustration is the angles the d is taking and poor tackling. Every single game heldt dives in and loses containment. Every single game multiple people go at the inside shoulder of a guy and lose containment....everyone is doing it. I've never seen a team so poor at tackling and containment across the board. It's a nice surprise when you see someone do it correctly. I think it was 40 yesterday who came around the tackle, illinois qb saw him coming and moved to his right, 40 slid to his left to keep containment, and they had to throw the ball away. It doesn't show up as a tackle or tackle for loss but it was a solid football play. The reason it was so noticeable is because it's so rare.
Has CRW ever been asked about why the ends always seem to go inside with no one on the outside to contain? I dont understand it. I also don't understand how guys like Green are allowed to continue make terrible plays and don't get taken out.

We gave up a 50 burger to Illinois and are 1-5. Cmon man.
I still don’t see quit in these players. They had a OC out to lunch and a QB who just stood there for 17 games. The defensive scheme isn’t good unless you have athletes Purdue hasn’t had in 20 years. I don’t see the 2005 team out there from a quitting standpoint.

I blame the staff.

I really really think the one player not playing to his talent is Heldt. That dude loses contain… enough that he’d be running those stairs under tiller. Doing that crawl drill. Everyone else you see really is playing around their talent in a bullshit defensive scheme (when you account for the fact that the DL has no explosive power).

We gave up a 50 burger to Illinois and are 1-5. Cmon man.
Yesterday's game kindof reminded me of the Tennessee bowl game a few years ago in that Purdue got down early but fought back into it with some wild video game offense to get the game into OT.

The defense was porous all day, but the epic collapses at the end of both halves were killers.

Purdue competed well in the second half against a ranked team on the road. That's a start--especially after the team just rolled over in the 2nd half against Wisconsin.

This Purdue team isn't very good. No tinkering is going to fundamentally change that. But Walters has to show he can at least stop the bleeding the rest of the way if he wants any chance to salvage a future at Purdue.

Yesterday's game kindof reminded me of the Tennessee bowl game a few years ago in that Purdue got down early but fought back into it with some wild video game offense to get the game into OT.

The defense was porous all day, but the epic collapses at the end of both halves were killers.

Purdue competed well in the second half against a ranked team on the road. That's a start--especially after the team just rolled over in the 2nd half against Wisconsin.

This Purdue team isn't very good. No tinkering is going to fundamentally change that. But Walters has to show he can at least stop the bleeding the rest of the way if he wants any chance to salvage a future at Purdue.
If he gets Bradford, Beasley, Marable etc in there now, they might actually be doing stuff by the last two games. Riding it out with Hudson miller is not the move. You can’t be this shitty and also not be developing players.

Reactions: z_one and rgarlitz
Has CRW ever been asked about why the ends always seem to go inside with no one on the outside to contain? I dont understand it. I also don't understand how guys like Green are allowed to continue make terrible plays and don't get taken out.
Not that I've seen but assmitedly don't watch the press conferences often.

Purdue has recruited fine how you have 3 or 4 guys from georgia on this team the freshman are good players and a freshman played for the first time yesterday and he scored a touchdown

I still don’t see quit in these players. They had a OC out to lunch and a QB who just stood there for 17 games. The defensive scheme isn’t good unless you have athletes Purdue hasn’t had in 20 years. I don’t see the 2005 team out there from a quitting standpoint.

I blame the staff.

I really really think the one player not playing to his talent is Heldt. That dude loses contain… enough that he’d be running those stairs under tiller. Doing that crawl drill. Everyone else you see really is playing around their talent in a bullshit defensive scheme (when you account for the fact that the DL has no explosive power).
He’s coached to do this. There’s no other explanation.

He does it mindlessly even when the play is coming to him.

I can’t fault the kid for doing what he’s told. He likely wouldn’t get to play if he told the staff no.

It’s the scheme. I’ve said it from day 1. It makes no sense. Couple that with guys standing and watching, pure UN athleticism and calls that ignore game situation, down and distance…I don’t know how you can expect any other outcome.

The announcers echoed what I’ve said the past 2 years. There’s talent here. It’s not elite. It’s not all conference. But it’s enough to win games like yesterday and it’s enough to not be 1-5 at this point in the year.

Reactions: BBG

I can’t fault the kid for doing what he’s told. He likely wouldn’t get to play if he told the staff no.

It’s the scheme. I’ve said it from day 1. It makes no sense. Couple that with guys standing and watching, pure UN athleticism and calls that ignore game situation, down and distance…I don’t know how you can expect any other outcome.

The announcers echoed what I’ve said the past 2 years. There’s talent here. It’s not elite. It’s not all conference. But it’s enough to win games like yesterday and it’s enough to not be 1-5 at this point in the year.
I guess we will see on Heldt .. for about the 20,000th time Walters isn’t good

On one hand it would make sense that he's being coached to do that because it's consistently happening and hasn't been corrected. On the other hand I can imagine why. The results are awful and the lbs are just slow. Who's supposed to set the edge?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT