ADVERTISEMENT

Projections for this season

illiniboiler

All-American
Jun 26, 2001
Probably too early with all the newbies coming on, but why not? The BB guide has the Boilers in the middle of the pack, but definitely in the upper end. With 14 teams now, wondering how deep the NCAA will go or if there will just be more in the WNIT. Can't see us winning the league as there are too many teams with a lot of returning talent and, now, of course, we have Maryland which seems far above any BT program. I think we can compete for one of the top 5 spots if we stay healthy. That is a big if, if what is happening to us and around the league every year holds true. But if things go south I still think this team is deep enough to be in the WNIT.
The front line has to stay healthy and Clements and Bays have a big year as the loss of Redmon did hurt. One of the frosh bigs does need to come thru. However, I think Thornton may surprise us. April is solid at pg but have no confidence in any possible back up. She could get worn down. The 2 also is up in the air and we will miss Moses for sure. I think Perry has a chance to take a real step and that will make a difference. I see a decent rotation of nine players which is pretty deep.
Schedule wise we really get stung with MD, Iowa and Nebraka all only on the road but we end our season with our solo game against MSU on our senior day. Also PSU, which may be a bit down, is only at Mackey. Should be interesting.
Thoughts?

I'm thinking that the women will finish around 5th behind Maryland, Michigan State, Nebraska, and Iowa and make the NCAA. Bays and Wilson will be the backbone to this year's team and their health is critical to any team success. Clemons and Thornton will be solid contributors, but how far the Boilers go will hinge largely upon Perry, Hamby, and Horrocks, in my opinion. There are a lot of unknowns - particularly at the center and guard positions. And you never know what the freshmen will contribute.

I should be a very interesting year.

...probably somewhere in the 3rd to 5th range...keep in mind, last years team was only two terrible losses away from a tie for the conference title (losses at Ohio State and IU). This team will miss the outside scoring punch of Moses and Houser, but should be deeper and stronger inside. Bays and Clements have to stay healthy. Hopefully, this team takes care of the ball better than the past several teams (Houser factor)...Perry could be a huge "x" factor, both inside and out. Freshmen look solid with an even better bunch coming next year. The womens program is looking good for the next several seasons.

22-9. After some bumps early we get hot at the end and get a 5 or 6 seed in the tourney. History is on our side and our blend of experience and youth makes us get really excited for 2016 at the end of the season.

Go Boilers!

Clemons.Clemons.Clemons. CLEMONS. Not "Clements." There is no Clements on our team.

I think we will be better than anticipated--but then, I always think that. The eternal optimist. :) I am hoping that Ms. Ashley Morrissette starts to show her true star power, and I think our freshmen are going to surprise. Not that they are going to play like seniors, but I think they are going to show flashes of brilliance at various times in various games--and if it turns out to be the right times and the right games, we could end up higher than predicted. Or---they could be disappointing, or we could have injury or illness problems all season long, and end up far below what they predict. That said, I also think we're in the top five. Bays and Clemons are going to be beasts. April Wilson is a very fine point guard, and her backups are not too shabby. We have height and length that we have not had in a long, LONG time. So who knows? Let the games begin. :D

Love your confidence, Luv. You've almost convinced me to raise my expectations to 3 - 5th in the conference. I think the talent is there, but it's a matter of gaining experience and meshing all the parts. We have a lot of freshmen that are complete unknows and some Sophomores who haven't played much in prime time to anoint the Boilermakers higher than 4th or 5th, IMHO. Would be nice if Morrissette and Perry and some of the freshmen exceed expectations, though.
This post was edited on 11/9 2:30 AM by Boilermakerdad

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT