ADVERTISEMENT

premium membership?

fcboiler46

True Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2004
I saw that GBI is offering that 18 months for one year price again. I'm finally at a point where 1) I feel like it's worth it with Purdue trending upward in both sports and 2) I feel financially comfortable with it. However, I have seen in the past that GBI has offered the membership's value in gear if you purchase the membership. I feel as though this happened around the beginning of December most years and maybe in July once. Anyone have any memory on this? I think I'd really use a membership, but I'd almost rather have the gear than the extra 6 months. What are you thoughts on the membership itself? Thanks for your feedback.

Yeah, I signed up (two separate times as I recall) with an offer of Boiler gear. Never received anything despite several emails back and forth. No big deal since I was going to join anyway, but still a bad way to do business. I still am undecided on whether it was worth the cost... probably was at the time. Now I might see it differently with so much more information becoming available online now than just a few years ago.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen the heat thing in a few years. That was a rivals promotion, not just gbi

I think it’s worth it. $9 a month for dedicated coverage and information earlier.

The khc board is more active than this board too

Last edited:
Yeah, I signed up (two separate times as I recall) with an offer of Boiler gear. Never received anything despite several emails back and forth. No big deal since I was going to join anyway, but still a bad way to do business. I still am undecided on whether it was worth the cost... probably was at the time. Now I might see it differently with so much more information becoming available online now than just a few years ago.
That's interesting. Thanks for sharing

Reactions: dbartn
I was a premium member for over a decade if I'm not mistaken. The gear deals kept me going 2-3 years longer than I otherwise would've and I never had a problem getting the gift certificate for the gear or ordering the gear with it. I don't think that deal has been offered in quite some time though and it's a Rivals deal so GBI has no control over it being offered or knowledge of when it might come or go if I remember correctly.

Love the basketball coverage. Hate the football coverage. Truth is that the cost isn't prohibiting me from joining again even if just for the excellent basketball coverage. I just have some serious objections to how they do football and can't support it in good conscious. My advice is to give it a try if it isn't cost prohibitive for you and decide how you like it for yourself. Just make sure that if you get to the point that you want to cancel that you call in and take care of that ahead of time. They will let you keep your access through the end of your subscription period if you cancel early but if you miss the date and auto-renew then you aren't getting a refund and have it for another year whether you want it or not like with most online subscription services.

i've just stuck with gbi print/digital for a long time now.

if there would be separate sport premium boards (like some others) it would seem less cumbersome and more enticing to go back. sounds like that was never happening though

What did you hate about the fb coverage. I think both main sports are covered thorough as hell.

I haven’t seen the heat thing in a few years. That was a rivals promotion, not just gbi

I think it’s worth it. $9 a month for dedicated coverage and information earlier.

The khc board is more active than this board too

Had premium for years. They have not broken a story in so long I stopped it. Seriously they are usually 3rd or 4th to know.

Reactions: Frankie611
Had premium for years. They have not broken a story in so long I stopped it. Seriously they are usually 3rd or 4th to know.

Yeah, twitter changed things. I will say, they were right all along on the football coaching hire. They said no on Miles and debunked the Fleck thing quickly.

What did you hate about the fb coverage. I think both main sports are covered thorough as hell.

To each his own. There were some things that happened that I felt were very unprofessional. I'll just leave it at that. If you like the football coverage, good for you. I'm not trying to change your mind.

I bit the bullet and decided to give it a go. I know I will enjoy it and use it. The boiling over is pretty awesome. I'll evaluate at the end of the 18 months but I imagine I'll get good use of it.

I bit the bullet and decided to give it a go. I know I will enjoy it and use it. The boiling over is pretty awesome. I'll evaluate at the end of the 18 months but I imagine I'll get good use of it.
IMO it's totally worth it. KHC is much more active than the other free boards, and the info and inside info you get from GBI is also a big allure.

I saw that GBI is offering that 18 months for one year price again. I'm finally at a point where 1) I feel like it's worth it with Purdue trending upward in both sports and 2) I feel financially comfortable with it. However, I have seen in the past that GBI has offered the membership's value in gear if you purchase the membership. I feel as though this happened around the beginning of December most years and maybe in July once. Anyone have any memory on this? I think I'd really use a membership, but I'd almost rather have the gear than the extra 6 months. What are you thoughts on the membership itself? Thanks for your feedback.
Circa a decade ago someone I know well joined Purdue premium, then three months later he was globally banned (all forums) for posting the following link on the Notre Dame forum:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19920107&slug=1469077

Rivals then refused to refund his $100 fee that he had paid. They won't be getting any more money from him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT