ADVERTISEMENT

Predict the next Commit

Last edited:
My assessment of Hightower:

Young man has a body that appears ready to take on additional mass but not hurt his overall athleticism. Only 225 pounds right now but in his junior year highlights, was a me to maintain position when playing an interior DL position very well, read keys, and make plays. If he can improve technique with the help of a DL coach and get a good first step, he appears to have the athleticism to get to the QB and make plays against the screen game.
It'll be interesting to learn his true size as other services report him being 6'6" 245 lbs. This is the same with Jackson, as one service says he is 6'3" 260 lbs, and other services have him at 6'4" 306 lbs.

My thoughts are he is better than Hazell, but we need to set the bar a lot higher if we hope to compete. It's one thing to sign a JuCo player. But when signing one, we need to sign one who will be an immediate starter and not one who will need more strength and development and/or shift to a new position. It's been said Jallow may be our best recruit, but we still don't know if he'll be utilized as a safety or cornerback. Is Smart a guard or tackle? To start winning, these guys need to start immediately. And they have to know their positions rather than using games to learn them. You don't recruit JuCo players just to add depth.

You definitely need pass rushers. However, you need pass rushers who can hold their own against and also be able to get past 300 pound offensive linemen. Rather than being able to run around them, you need player who can run through and over them. I was not excited about Hazell's love for speedy 240 pound defensive lineman, nor was I excited by their results. We need speedy 280-300 pound linemen who can play for 4 quarters before tiring out. And yes these athletes do exist. We need 320 pound nose tackles who can plug the lanes. We need linebackers who can blitz. We need guys like Clay Matthews, Urhlacker and Raji were when they were in college.

My thoughts are he is better than Hazell, but we need to set the bar a lot higher if we hope to compete. It's one thing to sign a JuCo player. But when signing one, we need to sign one who will be an immediate starter and not one who will need more strength and development and/or shift to a new position. It's been said Jallow may be our best recruit, but we still don't know if he'll be utilized as a safety or cornerback. Is Smart a guard or tackle? To start winning, these guys need to start immediately. And they have to know their positions rather than using games to learn them. You don't recruit JuCo players just to add depth.

Purdue needs CB and S, so Jallow will help at one or the other. Purdue needs OG and OT, so Smart should be able to help or provide depth if one of the current players on the roster develops into a starter. The juco DE could potentially step in as a starter or once Robinson and Larkin are gone he could step in. He has four years to play three seasons so if redshirting is necessary he's able to do so.

Mykelti Williams would likely be able to step in and start at safety if he commits. Then one of the other juco OL would likely be in position to start. The three mentioned above will have the spring to figure out where they fit best, plus if there are any additional players arriving next month when school starts up. The WR from SC and OL from GA will get additional time in the weight room and learning the offense, so they could potentially help as well.

You definitely need pass rushers. However, you need pass rushers who can hold their own against and also be able to get past 300 pound offensive linemen. Rather than being able to run around them, you need player who can run through and over them. I was not excited about Hazell's love for speedy 240 pound defensive lineman, nor was I excited by their results. We need speedy 280-300 pound linemen who can play for 4 quarters before tiring out. And yes these athletes do exist. We need 320 pound nose tackles who can plug the lanes. We need linebackers who can blitz. We need guys like Clay Matthews, Urhlacker and Raji were when they were in college.

Purdue needs depth more quickly than I'd anticipate landing these four and five star players you are talking about. As they can improve a little, they will have to grow and develop players with less size into what you are describing. That takes a few years in the weight room.

Reactions: Bippus33

Future HOF DE's
Dwight Freeney 6'1" 268
Bruce Smith 6'4" 264
Michael Stahan 6'5" 255
Robert Mathis 6'2" 245

Your talking out your behind again.

Last edited:
Yeah! Why hasn't Brohm signed 3 NFL pro bowlers yet!!???

Fire Brohm!!!!

wow , how many DE's have played in the NFL, and you named 4 to make your closing argument That's . impressive. to make your case why didn't you also include the size and the weight of the offensive linemen they played against? it makes a YUGE difference if you are 250 playing against 220 pound NFL guards. I doubt Deacon Jones or .Reggie White or Alan Page was Yuge.

three months what was the biggest gripe about Hazell? and what was the reason he was fired ? it was because the talent level he recruited was not good enough to win in the BIG 10. Brohm has now signed 5-6 players. are you seeing a significant difference in the talent Brohm has brought to Purdue ? and without all your name calling and dissing and personal attacks, ca n yo u provide an honest, objective answer.

In the month after he was hired and before signing day, Hazell brought Panvil and Replogle to Purdue. What I'm saying is I'm expecting more and better from Brohm, and I'm not seeing much difference between what Hazell brought to Purdue in that month and Higgins and Hightower. if you were an outsider basing your opinion on national rankings, What Hazell brought in was better. I graduated from Purdue a few years ago, so I tend to agree more with national opinions more than personal ones. I don't want to give Brohm the same pass we gave Hazell. I want to see a significant difference/improvement now. And when I see that significant difference/improvement, I will gladly give Brohm his props. however, if his recruiting is on par with what Hazell recruited, I will criticize his efforts. the sole reason we fired Hazell was to improve the success of our team. And if you look hard enough you can find about 1000 of my posts criticizing Hazell starting about 2 minutes after we hired him. I criticized the selection of hope long before he took over as head coach. I'm a harsh guy. My expectations are a lot higher than most Purdue fans. I suffered a lot of pain during the Agassi years, and I'll never recover. I suffer from PTSA Syndrome. Post Traumatic Stress from Agassi Syndrome.

I would disagree. Hazell signed him . he had the chance to leave. he could have e-committed, but no - Hazell convinced him to stay. None of hopes recruits decommitted after he left. Several like Gregory did before Hope left. I hated Hazell, but I have to give hi m credit for keeping the guys hope gave him. Hazell did a lot better job than the new WKU has done at keeping recruits. on the da before Purdue hired Hazell, their recruiting class was rated higher than Purdue. Now they've lost at least 6 recruits who decommitted and are spiraling out of the top 100. three came to Purdue. Their current coach is doing a terrible job of both recruiting and retaining what he was given. He's making even Hazell look good.

Maybe Brohm knows talent better than Hazell, and see's the upside in some of these guys he is bringing in now, regardless of how many stars they have

Reactions: ahhculdee
I would disagree. Hazell signed him . he had the chance to leave. he could have e-committed, but no - Hazell convinced him to stay. None of hopes recruits decommitted after he left. Several like Gregory did before Hope left. I hated Hazell, but I have to give hi m credit for keeping the guys hope gave him. Hazell did a lot better job than the new WKU has done at keeping recruits. on the da before Purdue hired Hazell, their recruiting class was rated higher than Purdue. Now they've lost at least 6 recruits who decommitted and are spiraling out of the top 100. three came to Purdue. Their current coach is doing a terrible job of both recruiting and retaining what he was given. He's making even Hazell look good.
Hope scouted him. Hope sold him on purdue. Hazell got him to sign. Id say hope did more.

Reactions: IronChefBBQ
wow , how many DE's have played in the NFL, and you named 4 to make your closing argument That's . impressive. to make your case why didn't you also include the size and the weight of the offensive linemen they played against? it makes a YUGE difference if you are 250 playing against 220 pound NFL guards. I doubt Deacon Jones or .Reggie White or Alan Page was Yuge.

three months what was the biggest gripe about Hazell? and what was the reason he was fired ? it was because the talent level he recruited was not good enough to win in the BIG 10. Brohm has now signed 5-6 players. are you seeing a significant difference in the talent Brohm has brought to Purdue ? and without all your name calling and dissing and personal attacks, ca n yo u provide an honest, objective answer.

In the month after he was hired and before signing day, Hazell brought Panvil and Replogle to Purdue. What I'm saying is I'm expecting more and better from Brohm, and I'm not seeing much difference between what Hazell brought to Purdue in that month and Higgins and Hightower. if you were an outsider basing your opinion on national rankings, What Hazell brought in was better. I graduated from Purdue a few years ago, so I tend to agree more with national opinions more than personal ones. I don't want to give Brohm the same pass we gave Hazell. I want to see a significant difference/improvement now. And when I see that significant difference/improvement, I will gladly give Brohm his props. however, if his recruiting is on par with what Hazell recruited, I will criticize his efforts. the sole reason we fired Hazell was to improve the success of our team. And if you look hard enough you can find about 1000 of my posts criticizing Hazell starting about 2 minutes after we hired him. I criticized the selection of hope long before he took over as head coach. I'm a harsh guy. My expectations are a lot higher than most Purdue fans. I suffered a lot of pain during the Agassi years, and I'll never recover. I suffer from PTSA Syndrome. Post Traumatic Stress from Agassi Syndrome.
I can't remember ever having a 6'6" 255 lb DE. And we have another one visiting on Jan 12. We need a pass rush badly. IMO CJB is bringing us the guys who can rush the QB. And our QB needs an OL. CJB is rebuilding our OL...including a JC 1st Team AA. Our defensive backfield need a face lift too...Jallow is the first piece, and if he locks up White & Williams then the face lift is complete.

I can't remember ever having a 6'6" 255 lb DE. And we have another one visiting on Jan 12. We need a pass rush badly. IMO CJB is bringing us the guys who can rush the QB. And our QB needs an OL. CJB is rebuilding our OL...including a JC 1st Team AA. Our defensive backfield need a face lift too...Jallow is the first piece, and if he locks up White & Williams then the face lift is complete.
Ryan Russell was 6'5 270. Don't get caught up in measurables

Reactions: ahhculdee

Ray Edwards was 6-6 270

I appreciate your passion for Purdue football and your critical eye in not assuming that the shiny new coach is automatically better than the old one.

I do not appreciate your assault on the English language or your assumptions about players who have not even stepped on the practice field yet.

If the previous guy was such a bad recruiter, why would the new guy failing to "retain what he was given" be a terrible thing?

You're either a troll or a moron.

Reactions: Heiner and mustard_
was he 270 at purdue? I stood directly next to him on the field, he didn't look 270 to me. But ya, he was probably the biggest and he did look like a greek god while at purdue.

His combine info has him at 273, but I recall an pre draft article stating there were concerns about a lower than advertised weight pre combine. I'd say he was closer to 250 most years at Purdue

His combine info has him at 273, but I recall an pre draft article stating there were concerns about a lower than advertised weight pre combine. I'd say he was closer to 250 most years at Purdue
He did put weight on in the NFL. He seemed pretty lean to me in college.

The "Next Commit Prediction" summary is below. Apologies in advance if I missed some. Also, they are listed in the order in which they were posted. Thus, oldest predictions come first.

StateStreet123: BJ Sharpe
General1061: Jarell White
GKMorris: George Moore
Wolegib: George Moore
PABoiler: George Moore
Bullhorn99: George Moore
Boilers800: Giovanni Hightower *winner winner chicken dinner*
OhioBoiler3: Jarell White
Heiner: Nick Holt (not really a 'recruit' per se, but the non-to-stringent judges have voted to accept it)
StickPurdue: Jarell White
BullwhipGriffith: Anthony Palomares
ChuckJr: Jarell White
Nobody (why not): Mykelti Williams

Up-to-date observations:

- George Moore has hit the big-time with offers from UCLA and tons of other big schools. It seems like he may stay out west although I have no credible info.

- Cincinnati/Fickell is making a HUGE push at Jarell White. I still think he will come to Purdue (maybe just my huge hope vs any credible info).

- Palomares appears Purdue's to lose as he stated he wants to commit on his visit around January 13 as long as the offer is still good.

- I have read ZERO updates on BJ Sharpe.

- The one interesting OMISSIONS in all our predictions: Former Domer and Warren Central player Mykelti Williams. Tea leaves say he is coming to Purdue!

- Nick Holt: Lol at the prediction as a recruit but we may find out REALLY soon one way or the other.

Finally and to state the obvious, I think January 13 weekend is going to be HUGE as that is when many players are visiting. That is immediately after the dead period ends.

BOILER UP!

Hightower is not close to being able to play B10 football. His recruitment, like most freshmen linemen, is based on potential. He needs to learn how to play hard all the time, increase his speed, and his strength. But, as the old saying goes, "you cannot teach size."

Hightower is not close to being able to play B10 football. His recruitment, like most freshmen linemen, is based on potential. He needs to learn how to play hard all the time, increase his speed, and his strength. But, as the old saying goes, "you cannot teach size."
Ruh Roh.

Only time will tell, but I think he has done a great job. You have to realize most all of these 4 star guys are already committed and have been for months now. It doesn't matter who the coach is, kids aren't leaving commitments at powerhouse programs to come to Purdue right now. The uncommitted ones are deciding between Georgia and Michigan right now. You should be impressed he got three guys immediately that have other solid offers- we are in desperate need to depth. I suspect most [realistic fans] will be very happy with next years recruiting class that will be ranked nationally somewhere in the 40's.

People that think Les Miles was going to bring half his recruiting class of four and five star athletes are out of their mind.

Only time will tell, but I think he has done a great job. You have to realize most all of these 4 star guys are already committed and have been for months now. It doesn't matter who the coach is, kids aren't leaving commitments at powerhouse programs to come to Purdue right now. The uncommitted ones are deciding between Georgia and Michigan right now. You should be impressed he got three guys immediately that have other solid offers- we are in desperate need to depth. I suspect most [realistic fans] will be very happy with next years recruiting class that will be ranked nationally somewhere in the 40's.

People that think Les Miles was going to bring half his recruiting class of four and five star athletes are out of their mind.
Speaking of Les Miles, did he find a job yet?

I appreciate your passion for Purdue football and your critical eye in not assuming that the shiny new coach is automatically better than the old one.

I do not appreciate your assault on the English language or your assumptions about players who have not even stepped on the practice field yet.

If the previous guy was such a bad recruiter, why would the new guy failing to "retain what he was given" be a terrible thing?

I wasn't an English major and never took typing or data input classes that current students take. I make no apologies for my typing or spelling mistakes or misuse of the English language. I don't swear or usually have my words censured. .

it wasn't me that said I faulted Brohm for not keeping Hazell's recruits. If given the opportunity, I'd name another 20 players I'd love to see cut and play elsewhere. My criticism of Brohm is if Hazell's recruits were not good enough to get the job done, and they were 3* athletes, I'd want to replace them with better recruits

I've followed the national recruiting services for the past 10 years. Since I don't have the time or money to see someone other than m y son personally compete, I trust a national rating of a player verses a personal one. It's been said by many on this board and by national analysts that Hazell's recruits just weren't talented enough to win. It's been said our recruiting classes have ranked in the bottom 2 of the BIG 10 for the last 5 years. Those are not my opinions, but rather they were expressed by a lot of professional sports analysts. others have criticized me in the past for being critical of 2* high school athletes who have never played a game for Purdue. I'm not critical of them or their rating. I didn't give them their rating. So somebody else was more critical of their performance than I was. if we praise somebody like Potts for having a 4* rating, should we praise and be kind to the athlete who has a 2* rating as well?

I'm more critical of Purdue coaches for recruiting the same players MAC, MVC and other FCS teams are recruiting. I want and believe Purdue should concentrate their efforts on the players other power 5 teams are recruiting. the time to look for hidden nuggets and trying to develop them is a strategy for the 80's. Today's high school athletes are a lot more capable and developed than they were back then. Teams like Alabama recruit athletes that are good enough to start and star as freshmen. When I'm critical of a high school athlete, yes I look at the stars. Somebody who actually knows something about football gave that assessment, and I respect their judgement and I believe most coaches do as well. What frustrates me most and I become most critical is when I see Purdue signing somebody whose best other offer was Western Illinois. and I ask, why were we recruiting this person in the first place when no other power 5 team was interested ? to me, the other school offerings a recruit has received is even more important than a star rating.

and yes, I was very critical of Purdue for not offering a scholarship to Cronk. it's not because he was a 3* lineman or because of his great size or because he was from West Lafayette and played for a state championship team at CC and expressed an interest in wanting to play for Purdue. What frustrated me most was he was an athlete that received offers from several other BIG 10 and other power 5 schools, yet for some reason he was not good enough for Hazell to even give him an offer, but some other 2* guy with offers to Marshall and Middle Tenn St was good enough to sign.

I received academic scholarship offers from UW, Northwestern and Purdue What I'd like to see is Purdue athletics doing the same thing: give offers to athletes who are also considering playing for other power 5 schools. Take a look at our commitments for the last 5 years. and then look at the other offers they received. It's obvious why they accepted our offer. Last week, I took a glance at the Nebraska rivals site and looked at the offers they gave out. They gave out twice as many offers as Purdue did, and It was very hard to find any 2 * athletes receiving an offer or being a target. the vast majority of their offers went to 4 * athletes. I want Purdue to compete. I want Purdue to win. but to do so, Purdue needs to start recruiting the same players other BIG 10 teams recruit rather than the ones Eastern Kentucky and Central Michigan recruit.

Look at Purdue basketball. they recruit the same players OSU, IU, MSU, UW, and Mich recruit. they don't go after the players ISU, Central Mich, and Wis -Milwaukee go after. and as a result, Purdue basketball is successful. I just have a hard time understanding why Purdue football doesn't follow that same philosophy and why we recruit as if we're a MAC team.

Replogle and Panfil were the best of their class. but the reality is, to be successful in the current BIG 10 with Penn St, Neb and Maryland, Purdue needs to find players who are even better. What worked for Tiller no longer works in today's college football. Today's teams win with talent. Elite talent. I'd like to see Brohm focus his actions going after that elite talent rather than finding players to fill holes. he has to start that process sometime. Why not today? Why wait until next year. I can accept the fact, that no 4/5* athlete is probably that excited or interested in coming to Purdue this year. But that doesn't mean we should accept failure and not at least make an effort. . if Potts was really interested in ND and IU, don't you believe he would have signed by now? and there are many other 4* athletes out there. but they will never consider Purdue if we do not first reach out to them. That's all I'm really asking and expect. make the effort and extend an offer. I hope Brohm at least talked to Werner and Yeast. I don't expect him to flip either player, but I expect him to at least have tried.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT