ADVERTISEMENT

Power 5 Dropout . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local ones Working 12 hour shifts who deal with this virus on A daily basis. The problem with Fauci is he can’t say what he truly believes. Just yesterday when asked a political question, he had to reply no comment. He’s basically been muted.

You realize Fauci was appointed to his position in 1984, right? No one has the power to silence him at this point, as it would be political suicide via the media. But the man is 79 years old and probably should no longer be in that position. You really don't seem to know what you're talking about...

You realize Fauci was appointed to his position in 1984, right? No one has the power to silence him at this point, as it would be political suicide via the media. But the man is 79 years old and probably should no longer be in that position. You really don't seem to know what you're talking about...
Fauci can say whatever the hell he wants. He has, and he will. He knows this. To say otherwise is just pulling stuff out your arse.

CDC does not currently recommend the use of facemasks to help prevent novel #coronavirus. Take everyday preventive actions, like staying home when you are sick and washing hands with soap and water, to help slow the spread of respiratory illness.
This is the single silliest complaint and argument used. I would expect doctors to study and change their stance if the evidence supports it.

My sources I trust are doctors and nurses and not Fox News or emotional football fans
My sources come from doctors and nurses only. Family members and clients who are trusted doctors, nurses, surgeons and research physicians
I don’t trust the news certainly not their statistics and stories. I trust those who do the research themselves for a living

Reactions: PetesHammer
This is the single silliest complaint and argument used. I would expect doctors to study and change their stance if the evidence supports it.

Not sure where you saw a "complaint".

In fact, it's interesting how there's one "side" (although, there aren't "sides") of this issue which seems to be reacting emotionally, and angrily denouncing data.

Regardless... I would expect "doctors" to study and change their stance, as well.

It's interesting to see how this has ... "evolved".

From "15 days to flatten the curve", to .... this.

Again... the curve is flattened. Now ... here we are. National fatality rates near zero. And the grip tightens...

The interesting part of all of this is that deaths and hospitalizations are down dramatically in Indiana since the April/May timeframe, while diagnosed cases are up. Not sure why people are getting their underwear in a bind acting like this is spiraling out of control when it was much worse earlier on. The only reason cases are up is because more people are getting tested.

Everyone wants to talk about how bad of a job the US has done, but if you look at deaths per capita, we're below numerous European countries like Belgium, France, Spain, UK, Italy, and Sweden. Here's the data.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

The interesting part of all of this is that deaths and hospitalizations are down dramatically in Indiana since the April/May timeframe, while diagnosed cases are up. Not sure why people are getting their underwear in a bind acting like this is spiraling out of control when it was much worse earlier on. The only reason cases are up is because more people are getting tested.

Everyone wants to talk about how bad of a job the US has done, but if you look at deaths per capita, we're below numerous European countries like Belgium, France, Spain, UK, Italy, and Sweden. Here's the data.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

dammit... you're not a DOCTOR!

STOP with your data.

Either show your MD diploma, or SHUT UP!

200.gif

My sources I trust are doctors and nurses and not Fox News or emotional football fans

Sure Wole, but which Doctors? And which nurses? Are masks advisable, or are they not? The leading "authority" on this virus has flip-flopped his position, seemingly as the wind blows. The CDC has given misleading advise. It seems we are all fighting the same battle, all with our own armies.

No individual athlete has a gun to his/her head. Any who choose can opt out (as we know all too well!) I believe most athletes, the vast majority in fact, wish to compete.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Purdue85
I hadn't checked in awhile, so I thought I'd visit our friends at the CDC. (Even though I'm not a DOCTOR, I thought my simple mind might be able to make sense of their rather in-depth, over-my-head statistics, normally reserved and available only for the smart MD-types.)

The CDC is reporting, for the week ending 8/1, there was one... ONE fatality from COVID under the age of 24.

One. Across the entire U.S.

That's even with specious reporting, which has been sufficiently documented.

One death, under age 25. For the entire country.

Under the age of 55, there were only 25 fatalities from COVID.

For a country of 330,000,000. We have 25 fatalities under age 55. A total of 91 age 65 or less. Those who are "working age", and we have 91 fatalities, in a population of 330,000,000.

And we're doing this ... WHY?

This isn't new. This is a months-long trend.

Sure Wole, but which Doctors? And which nurses? Are masks advisable, or are they not? The leading "authority" on this virus has flip-flopped his position, seemingly as the wind blows. The CDC has given misleading advise. It seems we are all fighting the same battle, all with our own armies.

No individual athlete has a gun to his/her head. Any who choose can opt out (as we know all too well!) I believe most athletes, the vast majority in fact, wish to compete.

Agree with it, or not, here's college athletic leadership...

CDC does not currently recommend the use of facemasks to help prevent novel #coronavirus. Take everyday preventive actions, like staying home when you are sick and washing hands with soap and water, to help slow the spread of respiratory illness.

For all of you out there who maybe influenced by misinformation just read the following articles from the CDC's website that show the CDC does and has supported the wearing of facemasks for sometime.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/p0714-americans-to-wear-masks.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

Reactions: sixpackpete
For all of you out there who maybe influenced by misinformation just read the following articles from the CDC's website that show the CDC does and has supported the wearing of facemasks for sometime.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/p0714-americans-to-wear-masks.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

For all of you out there who are interested in accuracy, there was no "misinformation" in the prior post.

That was from the CDC in February, 2020.

Now... it is absolutely right, reasonable and proper to advance the idea that we are (and have been) learning about this virus for some time. Quite true. As it should be.

It is ALSO right, reasonable and proper to show some of the different positions supposed "experts" have taken in a VERY short span of time.

What's more, it is absolutely right, reasonable and proper to acknowledge that some of the countries (cities, and municipalities) with the most stringent mask requirements have fared the worst, while some of the countries (cities, and municipalities) with the least stringent have fared quite well.

You might not like it, and the good news is: you don't have to like it.

Reactions: JRowdy20
Hearing a Power 5 football program will announce tomorrow they are opting out this season.

Any feel for who it might be? I’m thinking West Coast, California . . . UCLA.
Updating my original post . . . NOT a Power 5 team but a Power 5 Conference.

More and more it looks like the B1G is leading the charge to back off on a Fall schedule.

I’m assuming basketball will move to a conference only schedule likely beginning February.

Without getting political, I truly hope that post the November election we can get this country back to some degree of normalcy.

Keep the faith Boilermaker faithful!

Updating my original post . . . NOT a Power 5 team but a Power 5 Conference.

More and more it looks like the B1G is leading the charge to back off on a Fall schedule.

I’m assuming basketball will move to a conference only schedule likely beginning February.

Without getting political, I truly hope that post the November election we can get this country back to some degree of normalcy.

Keep the faith Boilermaker faithful!

unfortunately, the longer things go the more it seems that's what it is...

I thought the quote from Purdue85 about the reported CDC deaths was interesting so I went out to the CDC website. I could not find the statistic to back up Purdue85's number I did find these ...

COVID19 Deaths
0 - 4: 29 (<0.1%)
5 - 12: 48 (<0.1%)
18 - 29: 603 (0.5%)
----------------
680 deaths of people living in U.S. from age 0 to 29
(https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/index.html#demographics)

Top 5 U.S. causes of death: Heart disease, cancer, lower resp disease, accident, stroke
(deathshttps://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr68/nvsr68_06-508.pdf)

You have a FAR GREATER chance of dying from a car crash, fire, unintentional drowning, or choking, or fall.

Last edited:
I thought the quote from Purdue85 about the reported CDC deaths was interesting so I went out to the CDC website. I could not find the statistic to back up Purdue85's number I did find these ...

COVID19 Deaths
0 - 4: 29 (<0.1%)
5 - 12: 48 (<0.1%)
18 - 29: 603 (0.5%)
----------------
680 deaths of people living in U.S. from age 0 to 29
(https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/index.html#demographics)

Top 5 U.S. causes of death: Heart disease, cancer, lower resp disease, accident, stroke
(deathshttps://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr68/nvsr68_06-508.pdf)

You have a FAR GREATER chance of dying from a car crash, fire, unintentional drowning, or choking, or fall.

What? You are way off. Look at Table C on page 9 of the report you reference (deathshttps).

Here are the Cause of death stats from the CDC from 2017 from that report.

• Heart disease: 647,457
  • Cancer: 599,108
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
  • Diabetes: 83,564
  • Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672
The last stat I saw from Johns Hopkins was that there were 162,000 deaths due to Covid-19. In about a month or so, Covid will be the third leading cause of death in the US as compared to 2017 referenced in your report (which was for the entire year - not just approximately two thirds of it). By the end of 2020, there may be 200,000 deaths or more. More deaths than accidents, other respiratory diseases, Stroke, Alzheimers, or Diabetes. Three times as many deaths as the Flu (and there are still 3.5 months to go). That is shocking to me.

For all of you out there who are interested in accuracy, there was no "misinformation" in the prior post.

That was from the CDC in February, 2020.

Now... it is absolutely right, reasonable and proper to advance the idea that we are (and have been) learning about this virus for some time. Quite true. As it should be.

It is ALSO right, reasonable and proper to show some of the different positions supposed "experts" have taken in a VERY short span of time.

What's more, it is absolutely right, reasonable and proper to acknowledge that some of the countries (cities, and municipalities) with the most stringent mask requirements have fared the worst, while some of the countries (cities, and municipalities) with the least stringent have fared quite well.

You might not like it, and the good news is: you don't have to like it.

You said "CDC does not currently recommend the use of facemasks to help prevent novel #coronavirus". That is a copy and paste from your post from August 8th.

You were wrong. There is no question about that.

You can spout off all you want about the risk of contraction, serious illness or death, I really don't care because your just a sports fan on a message board, but if you are spreading misinformation, I have a right to correct it.

I hadn't checked in awhile, so I thought I'd visit our friends at the CDC. (Even though I'm not a DOCTOR, I thought my simple mind might be able to make sense of their rather in-depth, over-my-head statistics, normally reserved and available only for the smart MD-types.)

The CDC is reporting, for the week ending 8/1, there was one... ONE fatality from COVID under the age of 24.

One. Across the entire U.S.

That's even with specious reporting, which has been sufficiently documented.

One death, under age 25. For the entire country.

Under the age of 55, there were only 25 fatalities from COVID.

For a country of 330,000,000. We have 25 fatalities under age 55. A total of 91 age 65 or less. Those who are "working age", and we have 91 fatalities, in a population of 330,000,000.

In the middle of July the Trump administration ordered hospitals to bypass the CDC when reporting COVID cases. See the article below.

https://apnews.com/57de8f0d25d9066731e6bd8cad0373c4

Note the date of the article was July 15.

If you look at the graph from the CDC that supports your numbers from the week ended August 1 the total deaths reported to the CDC was only 501. That's because hospitals are currently not required to report deaths to the CDC. If you look at the reporting by the states the US had 7,000 to 8,000 deaths that same week. If you look at the same graph and pull the data from before there was a switch in reporting responsibilities the numbers were much higher. The week ending July 11 showed about 500 deaths for people younger than 55 (nearly 1.200 under 65) and that was during a week when we "only" had about,4,500 deaths. During the initial spike this spring there were about 1,200 people younger than 55 (3,200 under 65) that died during the week ending 4/18.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

I'm sure this won't change your opinion but I thought I'd explain the data to you.

Knock it off with the political BS. This isn't the forum for it. Seriously I get it across all other medium I don't need it on here.

Go take your rants the right forum and leave these threads for sports.

You said "CDC does not currently recommend the use of facemasks to help prevent novel #coronavirus". That is a copy and paste from your post from August 8th.

You were wrong. There is no question about that.

You can spout off all you want about the risk of contraction, serious illness or death, I really don't care because your just a sports fan on a message board, but if you are spreading misinformation, I have a right to correct it.

That was a quote.

It was 100% accurate.

You can do with that what you want, to insist otherwise is spreading misinformation.

In the middle of July the Trump administration ordered hospitals to bypass the CDC when reporting COVID cases. See the article below.

https://apnews.com/57de8f0d25d9066731e6bd8cad0373c4

Note the date of the article was July 15.

If you look at the graph from the CDC that supports your numbers from the week ended August 1 the total deaths reported to the CDC was only 501. That's because hospitals are currently not required to report deaths to the CDC. If you look at the reporting by the states the US had 7,000 to 8,000 deaths that same week. If you look at the same graph and pull the data from before there was a switch in reporting responsibilities the numbers were much higher. The week ending July 11 showed about 500 deaths for people younger than 55 (nearly 1.200 under 65) and that was during a week when we "only" had about,4,500 deaths. During the initial spike this spring there were about 1,200 people younger than 55 (3,200 under 65) that died during the week ending 4/18.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

I'm sure this won't change your opinion but I thought I'd explain the data to you.

the numbers

are going

DOWN.

You're spreading misinformation.

When did Soccer become a more manly sport that football? Mark 2020 as Soccer had more guts and gumption than College Football.
Way to Politicize an American sport.

That was a quote.

It was 100% accurate.

You can do with that what you want, to insist otherwise is spreading misinformation.

Look I don't know how old you are. Maybe your in high school. But for God sake, can you read? Go the CDC website and see if they recommend masks. You said they don't but they do. I gave you links to two posts from their website to help you out but whatever.

the numbers

are going

DOWN.

You're spreading misinformation.
First of all they've gone down a little in the last couple of weeks but not nearly to the extent you represented in your post. I'm not making any judgments on whether Covid is serious or not. I'm just correcting all of your misinformation.

Reactions: pmsullivan85
First of all they've gone down a little in the last couple of weeks but not nearly to the extent you represented in your post. I'm not making any judgments on whether Covid is serious or not. I'm just correcting all of your misinformation.

There is zero misinformation in any of my posts.

Clearly, the CDC is the "go to" source re COVID. If there's misinformation, I would refer you to the CDC.

Your assertions smack of misinformation and are not backed up by the data.

The fatalities are nearing zero, and have been trending in that direction for months. That's a fact, and is clearly supported by all available and reliable data.

Look I don't know how old you are. Maybe your in high school. But for God sake, can you read? Go the CDC website and see if they recommend masks. You said they don't but they do. I gave you links to two posts from their website to help you out but whatever.

You're getting too worked up over this.

I posted a direct quote from the CDC. It was from February. It's not misinformation, and it doesn't require you to be condescending.

Knock it off with the political BS. This isn't the forum for it. Seriously I get it across all other medium I don't need it on here.

Go take your rants the right forum and leave these threads for sports.

This thread is about speculation as to whether they'll play the games. I wasn't the one who brought masks into the conversation or the stats. I simply corrected a poster on the CDC's position on masks and helped him with his understanding of the stats.

I've never stated my opinion on whether I think they should play games or not. Here's my take. I'd like to see the games, but I doubt they'll consult me. I can see it both ways, but when you say only 25 people under the age of 55 died last week it skews people's views on whether they should play. If that were the case, I think many would all agree they should play . If its 500 , 1,000 or 1,500 per week maybe some would be hesitant. Its a little more nuanced than what was posted. Anyway, they'll do what they do.

Now this is political. Are you assuming I'm a Democrat because I stated the CDC recommends masks? Are you assuming I'm a Democrat because I helped the other poster understand why the numbers posted on the CDC website had gone down so dramatically the week after hospitals were no longer in reporting their deaths to the CDC? Its not Democrat or Republican those are just facts.

I hadn't checked in awhile, so I thought I'd visit our friends at the CDC. Under the age of 55, there were only 25 fatalities from COVID.

I have only an opinion ... no data. Isn't CTE brain injury, heat stroke deaths, paralysis of sports athletes more of a concern than COVID-19? They've played thru all that. Just an observation.

You're getting too worked up over this.

I posted a direct quote from the CDC. It was from February. It's not misinformation, and it doesn't require you to be condescending.

There is zero misinformation in any of my posts.

Clearly, the CDC is the "go to" source re COVID. If there's misinformation, I would refer you to the CDC.

Your assertions smack of misinformation and are not backed up by the data.

The fatalities are nearing zero, and have been trending in that direction for months. That's a fact, and is clearly supported by all available and reliable data.

I'm not worked up. You said "currently". February is not August. You were wrong. Deaths aren't down to near zero. Again your wrong. I'm not worked up I'm laughing because I'm beginning to think you are in high school!

I have only an opinion ... no data. Isn't CTE brain injury, heat stroke deaths, paralysis of sports athletes more of a concern than COVID-19? They've played thru all that. Just an observation.
I agree for the players. Its the fans that are more of a concern for me. I hope they play with no or a limited number of fans. That's what I hope. But we'll see.

I'm not worked up. You said "currently". February is not August. You were wrong. Deaths aren't down to near zero. Again your wrong. I'm not worked up I'm laughing because I'm beginning to think you are in high school!
No, it was a direct quote. You don't seem to want to acknowledge that. That was in their quote.

Not sure what you think you're accomplishing by trying to insult me with the high school quips.

I agree for the players. Its the fans that are more of a concern for me. I hope they play with no or a limited number of fans. That's what I hope. But we'll see.
Agree, immediately cut out the fans. At least play the games and follow all safe protocols. This teaches all young men and women to follow the adage, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."
We are seeing what large scale quitting attitudes we are developing right now. We'll eventually reap what we sow.

I think things are way different now then they were in February.

Heck they were a million times different in March than they were in February.

Gents,

Look I like/respect you both but can we please leave this banter OFF of the football forum? We get enough of it ..... from both sides....... from every other source. This should be a "drama free" zone unless of course you are trolling IU, Izzo and M$U, O$U lenniel (kidding) and Wolegib (kidding too.... or am I :) ?).

dude, low blow...I hadn't even chimed in and you take a shot? Come on BBQ. (kidding).

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT