ADVERTISEMENT

Illini Portal Reload

Portal and NIL needs to be altered. At the least make transfers a 1 time thing, second one means a year of sitting out. As for NIL, pro sports have a salary cap for the good of the game, there needs to be one with NIL, cap it at 2-3 million, Ark is at 5 and I’m sure that’s going to rise with them and many other schools.

Portal and NIL needs to be altered. At the least make transfers a 1 time thing, second one means a year of sitting out. As for NIL, pro sports have a salary cap for the good of the game, there needs to be one with NIL, cap it at 2-3 million, Ark is at 5 and I’m sure that’s going to rise with them and many other schools.
The NCAA tried the one time transfer but the courts and politicians ruled against them so they are trying again. The 2nd Portal window should not start until one week after the National Championship game. That the NCAA can change.

A cap is a great idea and if it is a Hard Cap like the NHL has not the loop hole filled NFL and MLB ones. It could work and then we will be back to extra under the table money! The solution will and should be that D1 schools or Conferences can opt out of the current format and schooling and become a business and hire players to play!

Create classes that will benefit the players in their NIL negotiations, Contract Law, Speech and Writing, Investing and Retirement. Along with a hard cap they are professionals and some could take courses to attain a degree or not.

School that do not wish to go that route would remain under the NCAA guidelines and form new conferences, players would be full time students and the revised NIL guidelines that are coming.

You can ask for all the rules controlling NIL and transfers but as long as the courts hold that making a player sit while charged with rape hurts his "market value", no limits can apply.

Ah, the student athlete……4 portal newbies, all new backcourt, the portal has created a mess for teams and any semblance of student/athlete

So who did they get? Ability?

Googled and saw 2....
Davis from Mercer 9ppg
White from Louisville 12ppg

Others?

Looks like they will be highly competitive again…..
Perhaps.

But please forgive me for filing this take in the same cabinet as those who think Purdue will suck next year without Zach…😎

I’m not sold on Underwood being all that special

Perhaps.

But please forgive me for filing this take in the same cabinet as those who think Purdue will suck next year without Zach…😎

I’m not sold on Underwood being all that special
You don’t have to be sold on him being special, just competitive (i.e., near the top of the Big Ten). And once he got his two rebuilding years out of the way, he has done that 4 out of 5 years.

Reactions: DrEss
You don’t have to be sold on him being special, just competitive (i.e., near the top of the Big Ten). And once he got his two rebuilding years out of the way, he has done that 4 out of 5 years.
Well the last 4 years he has finished...2,1,5,2. I don't know if that is special, but it's sure not bad.
fair enough— it will be interesting to see if/ how quickly they rebuild , given all they’re losing.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Problem with NIL is the money doesn't come from the team so you can't impose a cap. If an outside entity (ie booster) wants to pay every starter 5 million dollars, who is the NCAA to stop them? Once NIL became legal, it opened all this up. If the NCAA tried to cap what players could earn from the outside, one court case would quickly put an end to it.

This is now just minor league sports with the colleges leveraging their brands to milk boosters for as much as they can.

Boswell is from Champaign, good player, Storr is good as well, he might be a NBA entry, we’ll see. Mark Mitchell from Duke is out there, wonder who gets him?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT