ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Will you root for Matt Haarms at his next stop?

Will you root for Matt Haarms at his next stop?

• Total voters

northside100

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2001
Now that the news has sunk in, interested to know whether Purdue fans will be following and rooting for Matt.

I won't root for .....or against ......him. The way I look at it for me, once you transfer out then your time with us is done and so is my time caring what you do. At this point what he does, will not impact the team for better or worse so meh.. I'm just over it.

It's not angst, ill will or hatred for the guy, it's as simple as I just don't care anymore. If we end up playing against him, then I of course will be rooting AGAINST him as I suspect we all will.

I like him. As long as he is not playing us, I will root for him. Unless he plays for Duke, NC, MSU, or Kentucky that is. I can’t force myself to watch any of those teams unless I know beforehand they are gonna lose.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and jrider
It depends on where he goes. I definitely cannot root for him if he goes to a BT school.

UK fans keep telling me that they think they will get him. Definitely won't be following him there either. He might get a nice car out of going there though or tractor like in the case of Derek Willis.

Reactions: Schnelk
I have no ill will towards him but definitely will not be rooting for him. Only college players I root for are Purdue players. Will definitely keep an eye out though to see how he fares with his new team.

Reactions: JRowdy20
It depends on where he goes. I definitely cannot root for him if he goes to a BT school.

UK fans keep telling me that they think they will get him. Definitely won't be following him there either. He might get a nice car out of going there though or tractor like in the case of Derek Willis.

Tell 'em Del...

Big Blue is the place to be....

WILDcats rule the SEC.....

tumblr_mh5vrofUZW1qaendxo2_r1_250.gifv

Reactions: Schnelk
Not enough choices in the poll. From what I know about the situation I think Haarms could have done a better job discussing this with CMP. But not close enough to the situation to know for sure. I do think Haarms is making a big mistake leaving so if he does well great for him, but if not it will be like well I could have told you so. I will probably check a box score now and then for his new team. Hope he does well for his sake, but its not like I will be rooting for him - no! I am a little bitter about the whole situation, but its not like I wish him any ill will; just not going to root for him!

I saw he listed them in his school choices. It's kinda odd and would certainly be a step down from us.
usually you don't transfer within a conference, one I remember was that iu kid to Iowa some years back.

usually you don't transfer within a conference, one I remember was that iu kid to Iowa some years back.
I wouldn't think so since everyone in the conference already knows how to play against you and when he came back to Purdue he'd be boo'd to no end.

But it would be "fitting" as it would go along with the Minny curse we seem to have.

I wouldn't think so since everyone in the conference already knows how to play against you and when he came back to Purdue he'd be boo'd to no end.

But it would be "fitting" as it would go along with the Minny curse we seem to have.

I would be very disappointed if Purdue fans booed him if he returned to Mackey. That would show such a lack of class especially after he showed such enthusiasm for the team's success.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
I saw he listed them in his school choices. It's kinda odd and would certainly be a step down from us.

It's a matter of what he's looking for -- he's stated he wants to be in a good position to show an NBA skillset, which would probably involve significant playing time. Significant playing time and starting doesn't mean needing to take a "step up" from Purdue.

Would he start at Minnesota with Oturu leaving? Good chance.

Would Minnesota be better than Purdue? Probably not.

It's a matter of what he's looking for -- he's stated he wants to be in a good position to show an NBA skillset, which would probably involve significant playing time. Significant playing time and starting doesn't mean needing to take a "step up" from Purdue.

Would he start at Minnesota with Oturu leaving? Good chance.

Would Minnesota be better than Purdue? Probably not.
For some reason I thought Oturu was staying, which is why I found listing Minny as odd. But, him leaving explains it a lot more.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Jarrod Uthoff. Of course, Spike Albrecht transferred from Michigan to Purdue, although that was a slightly different situation/scenario.

It used to be more controversial and schools would block kids from transferring within conference. But the whole "you're controlling kids" argument has become much more prevalent lately.

However, it's still pretty rare. Most transfers don't go to another P-5 school (for various reasons -- many transfers also include bench players that weren't highly recruited). Why most don't stay within the conference...I'm not sure. Obviously if you're looking for immediate playing time, there's only so many teams that can offer that. Minnesota makes the most sense with Haarms as there's an "unexpected" opening that perhaps a coach wasn't fully prepared for. But I'm not sure if there's any other Big Ten schools where it's an 'instant' starting role for him. Of course, things are less flexible for his type of player vs. a guard you can slot in multiple roles.

You look at Haarm's situation who is a capable P5 player, his list is all over the map...from geography to quality of program to quality of conference.

There's already one intra-Big Ten transfer announced: Kobe King is transferring from Wisconsin to Nebraska. Last year, Micah Potter transferred from Wisconsin to Ohio State.

All I can say is get used to it and you will see even more transferring with immediate eligibility at their next school when the NCAA holds their vote in May. Absolute nightmare for coaching staffs as, if the rule stays as written, any player in football, hockey and both men’s and women’s basketball will be able to transfer one time in their career and immediately play upon arrival at their new school. This is in addition to the Graduate/Transfer Rule as I have been told. Combine those rules with the soon to be paying players for using their likeness in promotions and you have a new level of professional, free agents, moving to new schools! All coaches in addition to recruiting high school players will have to recruit their own team every year! Glad they are paid well cause they are going to be earning it 24/7!

Last edited:
I would be very disappointed if Purdue fans booed him if he returned to Mackey. That would show such a lack of class especially after he showed such enthusiasm for the team's success.
Enthusiasm for the team's success by leaving? Lack of class? Come on dude! If Haarms ends up at Minnesota and plays at Mackey, I will be leading the boos! I don't want him to fail, but I am not going to be cheering for him if he shows up at Mackey in a different uniform! He should have stuck it out and come back next year to compete. If he is running away from competition, he is never going to make the NBA anyway.

Enthusiasm for the team's success by leaving? Lack of class? Come on dude! If Haarms ends up at Minnesota and plays at Mackey, I will be leading the boos! I don't want him to fail, but I am not going to be cheering for him if he shows up at Mackey in a different uniform! He should have stuck it out and come back next year to compete. If he is running away from competition, he is never going to make the NBA anyway.
Haarms would have to have an absolute monster year to make the NBA. Good college player but has never been NBA material.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT