ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Official Favorite Boilermaker of the Keady era

Who is your favorite (not best) player of the Keady era (can vote for 2)

• T. Lewis

• S. Scheffler

• T. Mitchell

• G. Robinson

• C. Martin

• C. Austin

• B. Miller

• B. Cardinal

• W. Deane

• C. Landry

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think the players voted him off the team I think. I’ll have to dig up that book.
Passion Play says Mitchell was opposed to keeping Arnold on the team in October (1987) and wasn’t sure that he wanted him back for the second semester.
Passion Play also says Keady cited these two factors: “missed class time, which Keady had warned him about in the preseason, and, most of all, the fact he had resumed frequenting the local bars, which had been at the root of his academic troubles over the summer.”

What I recall is that Keady decided to leave it up to team captains Lewis and Mitchell to come up with a punishment for Arnold. The captains (not Keady) decided that Arnold should miss one game at the start of second semester for each class he’d skipped during the second semester. Arnold of course did not like that.

I think the players voted him off the team I think. I’ll have to dig up that book.
Found mine and looked it up. Gene booted him after many warnings about drinking. He had a real problem apparently and discusses his drinking starting in 6th grade. He was so big he could get into parties with much older crowds.
Mother died young, father traveled for work and "liked to play the ponies", so seems like a pretty sad story.
"By freshman year in high school I was having keg parties at my house. Friends could get the beer and Dad was gone all the time". We''d have 2 kegs going and play drinking games".
Seemed to be well liked, was just a loose cannon with no self discipline.
Gene announcement: He's going on to other phases of his life". "Worrying about him is over for the team. Worrying as a person, I'll continue to do that and try to work with him".

Last edited:
Reactions: TX4GB
Found mine and looked it up. Gene booted him after many warnings about drinking. He had a real problem apparently and discusses his drinking starting in 6th grade. He was so big he could get into parties with much older crowds.
Mother died young, father traveled for work and "liked to play the ponies", so seems like a pretty sad story.
"By freshman year in high school I was having keg parties at my house. Friends could get the beer and Dad was gone all the time". We''d have 2 kegs going and play drinking games".
Seemed to be well liked, was just a loose cannon with no self discipline.
Gene announcement: He's going on to other phases of his life". "Worrying about him is over the team. Worrying as a person, I'll continue to do that and try to work with him".
Thanks! So sad. Hope things turned around for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT