ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State parting ways with Stubblefield

No thanks. Not a good recruiter. And apparently was fired for some reason. I'd pass. Better options out there.

Reactions: Wolegib
No thanks. Not a good recruiter. And apparently was fired for some reason. I'd pass. Better options out there.
Jamarcus Shepard isn't coming back so I'd like to hear who the other better options would be. You need a proven coach that is charismatic to get the top end talent.

Taylor has fond memories of his time at Purdue and can communicate his experiences to recruits that would provide meaning and get on their same level. Telling a young man 1,000 + miles from home is an easy transition can be a tough sell. Taylor was from Yakima, WA and transitioned to W. Lafayette, IN. It can be done and Taylor Stubblefield is living proof of it. That oracle experience has great value.

Jamarcus Shepard isn't coming back so I'd like to hear who the other better options would be. You need a proven coach that is charismatic to get the top end talent.

Taylor has fond memories of his time at Purdue and can communicate his experiences to recruits that would provide meaning and get on their same level. Telling a young man 1,000 + miles from home is an easy transition can be a tough sell. Taylor was from Yakima, WA and transitioned to W. Lafayette, IN. It can be done and Taylor Stubblefield is living proof of it. That oracle experience has great value.
Purdue already has a WR Coach - Coach Patterson.

He was a great receiver at Purdue. Penn st obviously didn’t like him. He’s had a lot of coaching opportunities.

SdBoiler said it correctly. We already hired a receivers coach.

Stubblefield was not the greatest recruiter at Penn st and more than anything else that’s what purdue needs.

Time to move on.

Reactions: Travisty13
Seriously. I don't understand the point of putting square pegs in round holes here. Why the obsession with Stubby?

I'm not sure I understand it either. He was a nice player for Purdue. There were a lot of nice players for Purdue. That doesn't mean he's a fit as a coach. We don't always have to hire guys with Purdue ties just because they're out there...

If he didn't play WR at Purdue, no one would say we needed to bring him in since he's unemployed now. He's an average WR coach, hasn't really developed anyone of note, isn't a good recruiter. We already have a WR coach, but if we didn't I'd have hired Jeff Scott. Scott is one of the best recruiters in the country and developed a ton of guys at Clemson. But there's plenty of guys better for the role than Stubblefield.

I loved Stubblefield as a player, but that doesn't mean he's a good coach.

I have to believe penn st had expectations for recruiting and he didn't meet those expectations. A huge part of coaching today involves the ability to also recruit, rather than just develop talent. penn st has not kept up with Mich and OSU in their ability to lure in the portal talent.

I have to believe penn st had expectations for recruiting and he didn't meet those expectations. A huge part of coaching today involves the ability to also recruit, rather than just develop talent. penn st has not kept up with Mich and OSU in their ability to lure in the portal talent.
they did OK by getting Tinsley last year

Reactions: pboiler18
they did OK by getting Tinsley last year
the question is, who was the lead recruiter on Tinsley? Was Stubblefield the lead recruiter on him? Tinsley was a 3 star recruit and a transfer from WKU. I believe the head coach at penn st has his recruiting sites on much bigger fish and stubblefield wasn't able to deliver. in today's world, it's not about playing time or coaching. it's about being able to raise NIL money to lure in the players.

Doubt it happens but maybe move Patterson to RBs and bring him over to be the WR coach? Always thought Penn state had good WRs but QB play was there problem…
btw James Franklin is a turd so who knows what happened.

Franklin is the worst. 11-2. 4 top 10 finishes the last 7 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT