ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St prediction

MichaelRR

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 17, 2022
I think its PSU by 8, but I fear it will be another curb stomping and we lose by 20. IF the latter that is a real hard pill to swallow how PSU got that much better than us in just one year mostly with just hiring a good coach.

Reactions: DocRon
I think its PSU by 8, but I fear it will be another curb stomping and we lose by 20. IF the latter that is a real hard pill to swallow how PSU got that much better than us in just one year mostly with just hiring a good coach.
How did they get that much better? I have no clue, was it Frosh recruits or transfers? I know you’re not a huge fan of the portal, I think Purdue needs to step up the game on it, next year looks to be a poor one, at least 1 high caliber needs to be brought in.

How did they get that much better? I have no clue, was it Frosh recruits or transfers? I know you’re not a huge fan of the portal, I think Purdue needs to step up the game on it, next year looks to be a poor one, at least 1 high caliber needs to be brought in.
Just got in a better coach. No really high caliber recruit is coming to Purdue until we are a ranked team. The portal is a case of the rich get richer. Scallia went from UMinn to IU. UWiscs best player last year went to a top 25 team. Parrish didn't even return Gearlds phone calls when she went from OU to IU. What we can expect is a good player from a mid major that wants a bigger stage to perform on, or a good player on a bad P5 team looking for a place she can be on a winning team.

Same thing at UMinn, frosh became sophs, one nice frosh this year, but they got rid of their stunt hire of bringing in an unqualified former star player and hired someone with D1 coaching experience. Going from a losing season to being on the bubble to go to the dance in one year.

I am not opposed to the portal for spot pickups, but if you are counting on it for 2-3 starters every year, it is a major indictment of your recruiting efforts and a massive anchor on future recruiting because no one of quality wants to go to a program that will recruit over you all the time.

Last edited:
I was wrong, Krieger is in her fifth year, Owusu is a talented transfer, but this is only her second game this season. Mostly its just getting in the talent and numbers to run her offense and especially defense. PSU's press defense starts their offense.

I was wrong, Krieger is in her fifth year, Owusu is a talented transfer, but this is only her second game this season. Mostly its just getting in the talent and numbers to run her offense and especially defense. PSU's press defense starts their offense.
Make no mistake, when I talk transfers I want Purdue to be players for good ones, not mid tier girls from a small conference looking for a chance to play in the Big Ten. Maybe Purdue can’t get them, they need to try though. Let’s be honest, Purdue’s best players tonight have been the Frosh, that’s a good sign, Swanson just burried a 3, she doesn’t look bad either.

Make no mistake, when I talk transfers I want Purdue to be players for good ones, not mid tier girls from a small conference looking for a chance to play in the Big Ten. Maybe Purdue can’t get them, they need to try though. Let’s be honest, Purdue’s best players tonight have been the Frosh, that’s a good sign, Swanson just burried a 3, she doesn’t look bad either.
Cailtyn and Ellis were mid-tier girls looking to move up. That really is as good as we can hope for in the portal IMO. Why would a top shelf player leaving a big time program even look at Purdue, when IU will certainly be open to taking 2-3 transfers next year and is a proven commodity? IU's recruiting has really failed to restock the shelf to stay at the top half of the league.

Cailtyn and Ellis were mid-tier girls looking to move up. That really is as good as we can hope for in the portal IMO. Why would a top shelf player leaving a big time program even look at Purdue, when IU will certainly be open to taking 2-3 transfers next year and is a proven commodity? IU's recruiting has really failed to restock the shelf to stay at the top half of the league.
That’s the key, get the big time girls to look at the program, if Coach can’t she might have been the wrong hire. Penn State’s two transfers looked good, they weren’t very good lately.

That’s the key, get the big time girls to look at the program, if Coach can’t she might have been the wrong hire. Penn State’s two transfers looked good, they weren’t very good lately.
A player like Sidney Parrish is not going to look at a program that is in the middle of the pack in the Big Ten. She was looking for a trip to the Final Four, not the WNIT. Owusu was running out of options, she has a bad reputation as an attitude problem when she doesn't get her way, but she was not going far from Baltimore and her home town. Valladay also is an east coast girl that was looking to stay close to home. Mostly though PSU is built from the ground up and they would still be tough even without the transfers. Valladay was not a big time player at UVa, but she had a big night against us. Someone like Angel Reese isn't coming to Purdue any time soon. ONE she probably doesn't know anything about us, TWO, those top end transfers are starting to pull in NIL dollars, and we are not going to be in the running on that count either. Bottom line, KG can call those types of players, but they aren't returning the call if they have higher tier teams as options.

Really digging into PSU roster, they have like 10 transfers, not all in any one year, a lot of them were players that were buried on the bench at a bigger profile school and then shifted down or players that transferred up from programs like Drexel. Only Owusu and Valladay were double digit scorers at their first school. 5 players that were recruited straight from high school. But the biggest thing is they got enough players and got healthy enough to press 40 minutes and rotate players in and out fast and not rely on any one player. They have had several different players lead them in scoring in any particular game.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT