ADVERTISEMENT

Painter Should Be Fire...

If the athletic department has any balls…Painter would be fired before sunrise tomorrow! He’s a effing dolt! And don’t let Keady pick the next coach again…dammit. Announce his firing at the post game press conference. Under Painter…Purdue is fools gold and black…this is the straw that should break the camels back…if the athletic department has any brains.
They don’t and won’t unfortunately

So...when Gillis was open four times and didn't shoot....when Newman was open and hesitated on his shot...when Morton was open and didn't shoot....what does Painter do? Run out on the court and hit them with a cattle prod? This team CHOKED. Plain and simple.
None of them would start for any other B10 team. They’re just not good enough. Period. Painter is a poor recruiter.

Reactions: DannyGranger
None of them would start for any other B10 team. They’re just not good enough. Period. Painter is a poor recruiter.
This might be stupidest statement on here and that is saying something, cause there are a ton. These guys u mention were main players on a Big 10 Champion team, and they are not Big 10 level talent??? Matt must be the best coach since Wooden!

The first 3 I'm in total agreement on.
People attacking Smith and Loyer are complete idiots honestly. Its not their fault they had to come in and play 30 minutes a night as true freshmen. Painter didnt address the teams weaknesses and left it up to unproven freshmen. They will be good players. They didnt get the luxury to learn behind quality players for a year. All those minutes could help in the long run but it made this season end brutally.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Stunning....I really expected you guys to get over the hump this year.

I know it's not apples to apples, but be careful what you wish for. Coaching changes, even in the best of circumstances, can really suck and set you back....

I know it's not apples to apples, but be careful what you wish for. Coaching changes, even in the best of circumstances, can really suck and set you back....
I guess ask yourself this question... Would you rather have missed the tourney while trying to find the right coach to take your program to the next level or would you rather lose to possibly the worst 16 seed imaginable as a 1 and for all of the rest of time be known as the program that lost to a 13 15 and 16 seed back to back to back... This is the biggest stage and I'd rather Purdue had been sitting at home last night while searching for a new HC than losing that game...

I remember back in the earlier career of your former coach how he got criticized in the Philly press about not being able to win w/ a 3 guard offense and some Nova fans wanted him out but he proved to be pretty good.

Reactions: Novachp
I guess ask yourself this question... Would you rather have missed the tourney while trying to find the right coach to take your program to the next level or would you rather lose to possibly the worst 16 seed imaginable as a 1 and for all of the rest of time be known as the program that lost to a 13 15 and 16 seed back to back to back... This is the biggest stage and I'd rather Purdue had been sitting at home last night while searching for a new HC than losing that game...
So, you wish we did not win the Big 10?

Our fan base is over reacting , we have a top 20 coach in the nation, the best in the Big 10 and yes, only the unitelligent want Matt fired. Adjust his strategy, tweak how he recruits, but we don't want him gone.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
Our fan base is over reacting , we have a top 20 coach in the nation, the best in the Big 10 and yes, only the unitelligent want Matt fired. Adjust his strategy, tweak how he recruits, but we don't want him gone.
I'm good with the adjust and tweak, but Matt really isn't an adjuster or tweaker. He has to make adjustments to his ways. He's been way too stubborn and set in his ways.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
Why did Gillis , Newman and Morton hesitate or pass up open 3s. If you don’t think it’s because of Painter harping on them all year about getting the ball inside then you’re crazy. All 3 could have moved in to 10-15 feet for easier shots as well. Defense was laughing at us

We weren’t a top 15 team this year. We got massively overrated after a hot weekend in Portland, and then stayed there beating up on a bunch of mediocre B1G teams.

Yeah, I see your point and although we had a string of rough patches, I can't relate to that. Although, at least playing and having a chance is pretty awesome.

I do know that after a FF run in 2009, there were a number of missed tournaments, early exits and lots of unhappiness with Jay. In 2016, finally getting past the 2nd round (beat Iowa) was such a relief, you could see the team play much looser after that. I feel like Matt needs a 1st round win so the team can finally play loose. It was painfully obvious no one wanted to shoot last night.

I guess FDU was massively underrated then.
No, they suck. But we couldn’t defend their 5 out offense with our big, slow defense and then they hit enough shots to make a game out of it.

Then we choked on offense.

No, they suck. But we couldn’t defend their 5 out offense with our big, slow defense and then they hit enough shots to make a game out of it.

Then we choked on offense
We couldn’t defend their 5 out offense by playing man to man. Defensively, we played right into their hands. Go zone and keep you giant at the rim, limit their back cuts and protect your slow guards. This isn’t as difficult as he makes it.

We couldn’t defend their 5 out offense by playing man to man. Defensively, we played right into their hands. Go zone and keep you giant at the rim, limit their back cuts and protect your slow guards. This isn’t as difficult as he makes it.
Agreed. He needs to do a thorough assessment of all his “best practices.”

He keeps recruiting the same guys that fit the same mold of himself back in college. Slow, unathletic guys he thinks can shoot. Gillis, Morton, Loyer, Stefanovich, etc, etc, etc...
Yes! But sadly what really hurt us this year, as flawed and stupid as that rubric for recruiting is, was they CANT SHOOT! If your going to be slow, weak and soft, at least shoot open 3s St a high clip. Loyer’s production/contribution the last two months is some of the worst I’ve seen for a starter in 20+ years at Purdue

People attacking Smith and Loyer are complete idiots honestly. Its not their fault they had to come in and play 30 minutes a night as true freshmen. Painter didnt address the teams weaknesses and left it up to unproven freshmen. They will be good players. They didnt get the luxury to learn behind quality players for a year. All those minutes could help in the long run but it made this season end brutally.
That fair. But I separate smith and Loyer personally. One I see as a 4 year starter and with the right talent around him we can still go far.

The later, Loyer, I don’t think should be a starter and if he is will continue to be a cap on our full potential. A 7/8 option in a couple of years of fine, but we really need upgrades at the 2/3 spots - stat!

Matt is the one who quoted “ It is that hard “ when talking about breaking a press. Well he should heed his advice and admit it isn’t that hard to adapt your coaching and throw a zone when facing a small lineup . They shot 7-23 from 3 , it’s not like they were in fire or anything close. It’s the back cuts for layups and having our bigs out of rebounding position because of the switching

Yeah, I see your point and although we had a string of rough patches, I can't relate to that. Although, at least playing and having a chance is pretty awesome.

I do know that after a FF run in 2009, there were a number of missed tournaments, early exits and lots of unhappiness with Jay. In 2016, finally getting past the 2nd round (beat Iowa) was such a relief, you could see the team play much looser after that. I feel like Matt needs a 1st round win so the team can finally play loose. It was painfully obvious no one wanted to shoot last night.
Purdue has had first round wins. Plenty of them. Last year Purdue won their first and 2nd games then lost to a terrible St Peters team...

We weren’t a top 15 team this year. We got massively overrated after a hot weekend in Portland, and then stayed there beating up on a bunch of mediocre B1G teams.
So that's the reason we lost to one of histories worst 16 seeds? Lol... None of that gives any excuse to losing this game...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT