ADVERTISEMENT

Painter Blew this one

I don't necessarily agree with your last sentence. the 3 and 4 are our biggest needs right now. Gillis is likely to get a redshirt. We don't know if Haarms or Tre will be able to play the 4. That leaves unproven guards at the 3 and no backup for Wheeler at the 4.

So you just gave the perfect example of why they need to bring in guards. Why tie up a scholarship with Laravia who most likely won't be able to contribute and Gillis who is most likely/should redshirt. There is two scholarships gone next year. He needs to bring in 2 wing type players to be able to compete next year and then keep the scholarships for the 2020 class.

Can't teach 6'8", I think with a little effort we could have had Jake LaRavia, he is the kind of player that would have fit into the Purdue mold..I would even compare him to a Robbie Hummel Mould.
Can Score, Rebound, Play D, will be great all around player....I feel coach blew it.
We signed a 2 star!!??? FIRE PAINTER!!!

We didn’t sign a 2 star!!?? FIRE PAINTER!!!!

If there’s one thing I’ve learnt in this past season it is to trust CMP. Much like we’ve learned to trust Brohm. He’s most adamant about wanting these 3 scholarships in 2020 to where all the Boilermakers beat writers have been saying it over and over again. Lets trust he knows something that maybe most of us don’t know....yet.

Reactions: ZLaner
If there’s one thing I’ve learnt in this past season it is to trust CMP. Much like we’ve learned to trust Brohm. He’s most adamant about wanting these 3 scholarships in 2020 to where all the Boilermakers beat writers have been saying it over and over again. Lets trust he knows something that maybe most of us don’t know....yet.
Yeah, I tend to go ahead and side with Painter especially given his recruiting philosophies AND most of those guys have panned out well. He's got a good percentage of success with those 3/4 star guys. Doesn't miss many.

Don’t want to tie up a scholly for Jake after our run in the tourney. Strike while the iron is hot for some bigger fish. We are in the mix for some good talent in 2020.

Reactions: Schnelk
Can't teach 6'8", I think with a little effort we could have had Jake LaRavia, he is the kind of player that would have fit into the Purdue mold..I would even compare him to a Robbie Hummel Mould.
Can Score, Rebound, Play D, will be great all around player....I feel coach blew it.

The kid is not any good. I have played against him at the LA Fitness on Pendleton pike in Indianapolis. I am 35 years old and did a fairly decent job of playing defense against him. He is a pre-madonna and thinks hes something special. He would make one dunk and then walk around like he was Lebron James. I decided to drive it to the lane on him 3 times in a row, scoring every time. Then I told him to get big and that he couldnt even guard a 35 year old man. He was with one of his other high school players too. They couldn't win a game of pick up basketball at a LA Fitness. Give me a break. Not the type of player Purdue should recruit.
Nice post and I believe every word of it. The real measure of a person is how he acts when no one is watching. In this case, scouts / press / etc... I once played against Greg Eifert at the co-rec and he was draining 30 footers. Gene would rarely let him shoot the ball... He could have been a dick playing with us co-rec wannabes but he wasn't... Love how you took it to the hole on the kid....

I guess my question is whether or not LaRivia would have been willing to sit thru a redshirt year and then be ok coming off the bench with limited minutes for two more years. He may start from day 1 at ISU and therefore develop quicker but long term a redshirt may have taken him to a higher level. Painter didn’t feel he had a spot for him on Jake’s terms. Doesn’t mean he didn’t like him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT