ADVERTISEMENT

Painter Blew this one

RFSNES

True Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
Can't teach 6'8", I think with a little effort we could have had Jake LaRavia, he is the kind of player that would have fit into the Purdue mold..I would even compare him to a Robbie Hummel Mould.
Can Score, Rebound, Play D, will be great all around player....I feel coach blew it.

Can't teach 6'8", I think with a little effort we could have had Jake LaRavia, he is the kind of player that would have fit into the Purdue mold..I would even compare him to a Robbie Hummel Mould.
Can Score, Rebound, Play D, will be great all around player....I feel coach blew it.

I think it comes down to trying to win next season. Some grad transfers can fill some voids immediately. If Painter lands 2 grad transfers that can help immediately, it was likely the correct choice. Laravia was a project. Had Laravia hit his growth spurt a year ago, it’s possible we took him instead of Gillis.

I think Laravia will be a good player, would have been a good fit, and would have really developed under Painter. But, Purdue is trying to win now. I hope it doesn’t turn out like Bane where it was immediately obvious it was a mistake not to offer. I think Indiana State got a solid five year player. I think Purdue would have liked to have him, but they were full in the way that they wanted a chance at 2 grad transfers to fill a void and try to limit any drop off from the previous year.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Exactly. Hard to say Painter blew this one when no High Major teams wanted him.

This is a bit of a misnomer because he's an in-state latebloomer. That's the kind of guy most schools arent going to jump on. That said I've never seen him play, so I dont know if he was offer worthy.

I believe Painter would have accepted him as a walk on. I heard Luce and. King we're actually pretty good in high school too. I believe after de committing and the only offer he received was from Indiana st speaks volumes. It's not like other schools didn't have scholarships to give and weren't looking to add one last piece. I heard Arizona and IU both recently signed somebody.

This is a bit of a misnomer because he's an in-state latebloomer. That's the kind of guy most schools arent going to jump on. That said I've never seen him play, so I dont know if he was offer worthy.

BS. Remember Hawkins from KY, super late bloomer, we offered and so did KY and he went there. He wasn't on anyone's radar until after HS season. In this day and age everyone knows. He's no playing in Serbia, he won an IN state title and has been showcased in post-season tournaments.

Reactions: DAG10
I believe Painter would have accepted him as a walk on. I heard Luce and. King we're actually pretty good in high school too. I believe after de committing and the only offer he received was from Indiana st speaks volumes. It's not like other schools didn't have scholarships to give and weren't looking to add one last piece. I heard Arizona and IU both recently signed somebody.
hey if he wanted to play real basketball he could have walked on like Grady and earn the Scollie

I have no doubt that Painter has his reasons for not offering. With Matt, Tre, Emanuel, and Wheeler, and with Gillis coming in, it looks like a gamble to me to throw a scholarship at him. Guard is a more immediate need.

I have no doubt that Painter has his reasons for not offering. With Matt, Tre, Emanuel, and Wheeler, and with Gillis coming in, it looks like a gamble to me to throw a scholarship at him. Guard is a more immediate need.
I don't necessarily agree with your last sentence. the 3 and 4 are our biggest needs right now. Gillis is likely to get a redshirt. We don't know if Haarms or Tre will be able to play the 4. That leaves unproven guards at the 3 and no backup for Wheeler at the 4.

Luce was ok. He wasn't close to being an Indiana all star. Painter and his dad are very good friends. A favor.

will we even fill both scholarships next year

This kid can shoot the 3, would have made a great 3 spot for the team, are you telling me we are going to get 2 Grad Guards, get real. Like some one said, he'd be here for 4 years.

I don't necessarily agree with your last sentence. the 3 and 4 are our biggest needs right now. Gillis is likely to get a redshirt. We don't know if Haarms or Tre will be able to play the 4. That leaves unproven guards at the 3 and no backup for Wheeler at the 4.
you make my point....he can shoot the 3, handle the ball, play D and rebound at 6'8"

Reactions: New40ish
Don't compare a two star recruit with Robbie
Way closer to Grady Eifert than to Robbie Hummel (the situation is a lot like John Hart for that matter as well).

And, if Grady was not offered a scholarship, no reason to think LaRavia would be either...other than just having them to use (which, is more likely the case when someone is there...exactly what happened with Grady...he was on scholarship because it was available and was not a 4/5-year commitment).

LaRavia absolutely could have been a guy that could have helped Purdue at some point, and, may very well have been a lot like Eifert for that matter, but, to suggest he is anything close to Hummel is incredibly wrong, and, to suggest that Painter/Purdue missed on him (in that he had no other high level offers) is a bit strong as well.

If he had wanted to walk on and have the chance to earn a scholarship (and I would be very surprised if that that was not presented to him as an option), that is one thing...to have to invest in him for 4 or 5 years and not having that scholarship available (at a time when it could be incredibly important) did not make sense.

I remember watching videos of bane and thinking we made a big mistake not offering. I have that same feeling after watching videos of this kid.

you make my point....he can shoot the 3, handle the ball, play D and rebound at 6'8"
You have no way of knowing if he can do all that at the P5 level. He doesn't project as someone who would be good at rebounding or defending. What if he doesn't pan out? That's a 4 year scholarship wasted.

I would have been fine with taking him, but I'm also fine with passing on him.

Reactions: Bill4411 and DAG10
You have no way of knowing if he can do all that at the P5 level. He doesn't project as someone who would be good at rebounding or defending. What if he doesn't pan out? That's a 4 year scholarship wasted.

I would have been fine with taking him, but I'm also fine with passing on him.
Are scholarships 4 years? I know that there are multi-year deals in football, but I didn't believe so in basketball. I know the football one is relatively new.

I do know that you can't pull a scholarship for poor performance.

(But, yes, you're right, he would have been on scholarship 4 years if not a walk-on.)

Edit: Changed can to can't because if not I would have sounded like an idiot.

scholarships for football and basketball must be 4 years for incoming freshmen for power 5 schools. not all schools, just power 5 schools. and they cannot be taken away by the school once they are given.

however, if a player walks on, or arrives as a Juco,. the requirement for the 4 year scholarship is changed to a yearly basis.

so if he were to have walked on, it's possible he could have received a scholarship on an annual basis for 3 years if one was available.

Reactions: chaspark and ZLaner
I remember watching videos of bane and thinking we made a big mistake not offering. I have that same feeling after watching videos of this kid.

The difference was that Bane was an incredibly gifted athlete that performed really well at AAU. Laravia projects as mid-major. He could pass that level or not live up to it. I couldn’t for the life of me understand why we didn’t offer Bane. He dominated at his HS and really showed out in AAU. He contributed immediately as a true freshman at TCU, but admittedly he wouldn’t have passed Dakota so it worked out in his benefit to go to TCU. It is possible he could have passed Cline, but we will never know. Such a good kid and a heck of a ball player. I remember posting and tweeting a LOT hoping we offered him. That one still hurts.

This kid can shoot the 3, would have made a great 3 spot for the team, are you telling me we are going to get 2 Grad Guards, get real. Like some one said, he'd be here for 4 years.

That 4 years, while what Painter usually looks for, was the problem here. A grad transfer or two will only be here one year, giving us back that scholarship to give to a 2020 kid. We are in on some good players so anyone less than a sure thing, top drawer player was not going to get a multi-year schollie this year from Coach P. JLR's history does not say "sure thing at the next level" (from Big Easy to the Big Ten is another step up). So as far as Purdue was concerned it was a numbers game this year and he was an odd man out.

And what would that be? I heard it was location to home
location to home ? So I guess that's why neither Butler or IU offered him a scholarship too? they were both much too far away from his home.. Butler just lost a player freeing a scholarship. and IU had several available scholarships to give. they chose to give one to Brunk instead. and what was his reasoning accepting the original offer from SIUE ? that seems like a far ways away. Was it because it was his only offer?

I can see Luce at a small high school doing well.

And what would that be? I heard it was location to home
I was just saying there was a reason he didn't have P5 offers. I've seen him play 15-20 times over the past two years. He is very good and will kill at the MM level. But his game just doesn't transfer over to the HM level. I would have been fine with him walking on and earning a scholarship. I think that's what Painter wanted to do as well, but he also wasn't super hung up on LM vs. MM vs. HM. Kid just wants to play.

The kid is not any good. I have played against him at the LA Fitness on Pendleton pike in Indianapolis. I am 35 years old and did a fairly decent job of playing defense against him. He is a pre-madonna and thinks hes something special. He would make one dunk and then walk around like he was Lebron James. I decided to drive it to the lane on him 3 times in a row, scoring every time. Then I told him to get big and that he couldnt even guard a 35 year old man. He was with one of his other high school players too. They couldn't win a game of pick up basketball at a LA Fitness. Give me a break. Not the type of player Purdue should recruit.

That 4 years, while what Painter usually looks for, was the problem here. A grad transfer or two will only be here one year, giving us back that scholarship to give to a 2020 kid. We are in on some good players so anyone less than a sure thing, top drawer player was not going to get a multi-year schollie this year from Coach P. JLR's history does not say "sure thing at the next level" (from Big Easy to the Big Ten is another step up). So as far as Purdue was concerned it was a numbers game this year and he was an odd man out.

This. Painter has some pretty nice momentum. Regularly getting guys drafted and just made an elite 8. The chance of landing his top guys has gone up and you have to have as Many scholarships as you can to throw at that class. I would have liked him as a walk on and give him a chance to earn a scholarship like Grady. Didn’t work out, so we move on.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
Was a career 5.3 PPG scorer at Richmond. He wasn't needed to score and Richmond isn't a small school but that's what he did in HS. Commanded some really good teams though.
didn't know he was at Richmond...thougth he was from the southern part of the state. So are you saying he could do well at a small school since it sounds like he did well at a large school? I think you are agreeing with me? ;)

I was just saying there was a reason he didn't have P5 offers. I've seen him play 15-20 times over the past two years. He is very good and will kill at the MM level. But his game just doesn't transfer over to the HM level. I would have been fine with him walking on and earning a scholarship. I think that's what Painter wanted to do as well, but he also wasn't super hung up on LM vs. MM vs. HM. Kid just wants to play.

Thanks for the clarification. I wanted to see him in Black, but it is what it is. The intriguing part to me was he improved so much in a year and still isn't even 18.

didn't know he was at Richmond...thougth he was from the southern part of the state. So are you saying he could do well at a small school since it sounds like he did well at a large school? I think you are agreeing with me? ;)

Oh shoot, good catch...he was at Richmond for his first three years and then did end up going to Jeffersonville when his dad was hired there.

Senior year stats were 10.2 PPG and 2.1 assists.

And yes, lol, I am in agreement with you on that.

Reactions: tjreese
Luce was ok. He wasn't close to being an Indiana all star. Painter and his dad are very good friends. A favor.

I remember the haters saying the exact same thing about Eifert. In fact they were still bitching about Grady this year as a starter. It is amazing how few things are new under the Sun.....

Reactions: Purdue85
Oh shoot, good catch...he was at Richmond for his first three years and then did end up going to Jeffersonville when his dad was hired there.

Senior year stats were 10.2 PPG and 2.1 assists.

And yes, lol, I am in agreement with you on that.
no problem I had no idea he was at Richmond before...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT