ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tackle eligible, "The Longest Yard".

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
Watching the only version (Burt Reynolds) and the last pass play he calls "Tackle Eligible", where the WR takes a step back off the line and the tackle steps out for an easy lob pass and big gain. Today don't they have to tell the ref, what player and then they tell the defense?

Purdue used to run that play occasionally and successfully in the Mollenkopf years. The refs were notified, but I don't believe they then ever told the defense as the surprise is part of making the play successful.

Purdue used to run that play occasionally and successfully in the Mollenkopf years. The refs were notified, but I don't believe they then ever told the defense as the surprise is part of making the play successful.
I think I remember Tiller running it, although I may be confusing that with the ole' fumblerooski. I remember one or the other was called back.

I think I remember Tiller running it, although I may be confusing that with the ole' fumblerooski. I remember one or the other was called back.

Matt Light started out as a TE. Tiller ran a play to Light but it was actually a lateral to Light since he wasn't an eligible receiver on the play. So he floated out wide but was behind the QB. They only ran it once. I don't remember exactly but it either lost, or gained, only a couple of yards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT