ADVERTISEMENT

OT - so California's high taxes took the Giants out of the running for Bryce Harper.

I'd always thought one of the great things about this board was being able to come on here and NOT see political drivel. I don't care which side either, this isn't the damn place for it and you should know better. I think it's time for one of those "30 day stupidity bans" youre always talking about to other posters.

I'd always thought one of the great things about this board was being able to come on here and NOT see political drivel. I don't care which side either, this isn't the damn place for it and you should know better. I think it's time for one of those "30 day stupidity bans" youre always talking about to other posters.
Sometimes sports and politics collide - this would be one of those times.

And people tried to tell me UCLA is a step up from Purdue for a coach. Living in California, especially in Los Angelus, is not a fun place. Its expensive and unpleasant.
That's why I love New Hampshire...it's an amazing place to live and zero income and sales tax.

Reactions: ChuckJr
That's why I love New Hampshire...it's an amazing place to live and zero income and sales tax.
I like that whole North East area. Pretty landscape, good people, great states.

In the revolutionary war, New Hampshire men (called the Hampshire Grants back then) were considered to be bad-asses in a fight. If you were the Brits, you did not want to see those boys across from you.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
Sometimes sports and politics collide - this would be one of those times.

tumblr_inline_mq30ywhi661qz4rgp.gif

Reactions: Frankie611
As a 4th generation Philadelphia sports fan I'm happy Harper was put off by California taxes, too bad Lebron wasn't also. Judging by L.A. traffic and real-estate prices I don't think their taxes are that much of a deterrent too those who want to live there.
L.A has always extracted a price and there have always been those willing to pay it, even if they did sometimes write a song complaining about it.

I wonder if San Francisco has an AOC type running around celebrating this?

I love how people say it's "paradise" to live in California. I'm sure the weather's great. But I'll keep my 20 minute commute, hunting, gun rights, low taxes, low cost of living, and the ability to have a nice home without a 100 year mortgage or interest only loan...

I love how people say it's "paradise" to live in California. I'm sure the weather's great. But I'll keep my 20 minute commute, hunting, gun rights, low taxes, low cost of living, and the ability to have a nice home without a 100 year mortgage or interest only loan...
Have a good friend that lives in the San Fran area. He's 50 and has never been able to purchase a home - makes six figures. Only the super rich are home owners.

I lived in California for 3 years. the government provided me living quarters. I may like their politics, but I could never afford to live there.

Reactions: Boiler_HD
Born and raised in California (beautiful central coast). It's overrated, has some absolutely fantastic quality and aspects. For my personal valuation it's simply not worth the costs. I have friends and relatives who fled to Colorado and Oregon to simply have high cost of living creep up there as well. If I won the lottery, I still wouldn't buy a home there.

My parents bought their current home in '96 and the home value has more than tripled. They have basically been priced out of staying in CA for downsizing in retirement, especially once real estate taxes get adjusted to a new home vs grandfathered in like they are currently. They bought a second home in my neighborhood here in GA. It's a 4 bedroom 2 bath 2300 sqft ranch for ~215k. I'm encouraging them to sell the CA house and never look back. Enjoy retirement and travel to see friends and family the months that are "hot" in GA. Meanwhile, I'll keep being able to afford a home, cost of living, and saving for retirement. In CA most of my friends can barely do 1 of those 3 I do with comfort here.

Reactions: purduepat1969
The only problem with people fleeing high tax states like CA, NY, and IL is that they continue to vote for the same type of people who caused them to move in the first place. See it here in FL all the time. No state tax, but people from the high tax states still vote for the same type policies as they had in their old state.

The only problem with people fleeing high tax states like CA, NY, and IL is that they continue to vote for the same type of people who caused them to move in the first place. See it here in FL all the time. No state tax, but people from the high tax states still vote for the same type policies as they had in their old state.

I'm not so sure. I've lived in Florida, California and Illinois. If true, Florida would be a totally BLUE state with all the people from New York and Illinois moving there.

California was likely a paradise in the 50s and 60s but not anymore. I made a couple of trips out 10+ years ago to visit oldest son and family. Saw some beautiful places with great weather but I could never deal with the people, traffic and prices to live there.

Last edited:
Please take political nonsense to baseball board

I'm trying to figure out why you wish to control free speech? This is the problem with Liberals. They love free speech as as long as they are the only one able to speak. Every time is see a thread that doesn't interest me, I just don't respond. It's a lot less work than being mad that someone dare discuss what I don't like. You're not that important.

I'm trying to figure out why you wish to control free speech? This is the problem with Liberals. They love free speech as as long as they are the only one able to speak. Every time is see a thread that doesn't interest me, I just don't respond. It's a lot less work than being mad that someone dare discuss what I don't like. You're not that important.

Ahh yes, big brother (aka PUBV) is trying to squelch "free speech" again. I better go sharpen my pitchfork. Viva La Revolucion!

Control free speech?!?!! I thought since we don’t have a baseball board that it would be apparent this post was obviously made in silliness. Thanks for the tips, my self importantance truely got the best of me!

Reactions: 70boiler
Ahh yes, big brother (aka PUBV) is trying to squelch "free speech" again. I better go sharpen my pitchfork. Viva La Revolucion!
I’m sorry, did you ask my permission before posting this? ( I mean, you got the baseball board thing was a joke, right? )

Reactions: 70boiler
I’m sorry, did you ask my permission before posting this? ( I mean, you got the baseball board thing was a joke, right? )

What are you saying? I'm too busy readying the torches.

The baseball board shall be the first target for la revolucion!

Reactions: mathboy
What are you saying? I'm too busy readying the torches.

The baseball board shall be the first target for la revolucion!
Shall we meet at the usual place? Is it left hand torch, right hand pitchfork, I’m forever getting that confused

Control free speech?!?!! I thought since we don’t have a baseball board that it would be apparent this post was obviously made in silliness. Thanks for the tips, my self importantance truely got the best of me!
"Please take political nonsense to baseball board" Don't walk it back and act misunderstood. I'll ignore your poor spelling. Wait. No I won't. LOL.

Reactions: PUBV
Born and raised in California (beautiful central coast). It's overrated, has some absolutely fantastic quality and aspects. For my personal valuation it's simply not worth the costs. I have friends and relatives who fled to Colorado and Oregon to simply have high cost of living creep up there as well. If I won the lottery, I still wouldn't buy a home there.

My parents bought their current home in '96 and the home value has more than tripled. They have basically been priced out of staying in CA for downsizing in retirement, especially once real estate taxes get adjusted to a new home vs grandfathered in like they are currently. They bought a second home in my neighborhood here in GA. It's a 4 bedroom 2 bath 2300 sqft ranch for ~215k. I'm encouraging them to sell the CA house and never look back. Enjoy retirement and travel to see friends and family the months that are "hot" in GA. Meanwhile, I'll keep being able to afford a home, cost of living, and saving for retirement. In CA most of my friends can barely do 1 of those 3 I do with comfort here.
When I was living in Charlotte, I received a job offer from a business right on the coast between SD and LA. They offered exactly what I was making in Charlotte. I really wanted the job, but that was the first offer I didnt even try to negotiate. I politely told them they were so far off, we would never get to to something that would work. Charlotte is not a bad place to live anyway.

I live in Indiana and can’t do any of those three things...mainly because I’m a 10th year teacher making $43k. It’ll be likely another 20 years before I break $60k and that’s with obtaining my masters.

(Le sigh)

Need to find me a nice Boiler Sugar Babe!!! Lol tic

"Please take political nonsense to baseball board" Don't walk it back and act misunderstood. I'll ignore your poor spelling. Wait. No I won't. LOL.
Ya got me, i is ignorant and totally pissed about this thread! Can’t wait for you to unload on the moderators for moving this to the GD board

LOL. As if I ever mention mods ever. LOL
Deuce, you win. I woke up in an angry, self important, libtard mood (like everyday). When I get like this, I gotta suppress somebody’s speech, cuz I can’t just ignore important stuff posted on the PU message board. So I spotted this innocent looking political/baseball post on the b-ball board, it filled me with RAGE. Incensed, I typed those suppressive words, Please (I almost left this word out because it doesn’t sound suppressive enough) take this political nonsense (I hit hard with that one) to the baseball board (a fictitious place). I knew I would rile a large # of people, but couldn’t take it back, or walk it back, it was just that serious. Amazingly, only one astute poster called me out, put me in my place. Bravo. ( Boiler Up )

Deuce, you win. I woke up in an angry, self important, libtard mood (like everyday). When I get like this, I gotta suppress somebody’s speech, cuz I can’t just ignore important stuff posted on the PU message board. So I spotted this innocent looking political/baseball post on the b-ball board, it filled me with RAGE. Incensed, I typed those suppressive words, Please (I almost left this word out because it doesn’t sound suppressive enough) take this political nonsense (I hit hard with that one) to the baseball board (a fictitious place). I knew I would rile a large # of people, but couldn’t take it back, or walk it back, it was just that serious. Amazingly, only one astute poster called me out, put me in my place. Bravo. ( Boiler Up )
LOL

What is the state income tax rate in Cali?

Is it a flat tax like Indiana (i.e. everybody in IN pays the same rate, I think it's like 3.3%.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT