ADVERTISEMENT

OT: slow board, so let's talk expansion.

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
If you don't want to watch the video, here's the Cliff notes; it's not if, it's when and who for FSU. Best comment: "It's not about what the Big Ten wants, it's not about what the SEC wants, it's all about what FOX and ESPN want."

I’ve said that for many years ever since ESPN bought the majority of the bowl games, that the NCAA bows down to their every wish. And college administrators do whatever they can to receive the most revenue they can. Rather than being ethical, a good administrator is now only concerned about being financial. Not One of these colleges said, heck no, we won’t go or divide up our conference. And now we have FSU and Miami. Wanting to get out of their contracts they bargained in good faith to receive? Why? They want more money.

FSU gets the Big Ten into the Florida market, plus they have a pretty big fan base. The SEC is obviously a much more natural geographical fit (and preserves a couple of key rivalries), but as we've seen recently geography and history no longer matter in the college sports landscape.

They can’t predict anything with any kind of accuracy or they would not be working for 25/7 as they would be rich. Where did they predict IU ?
The only prediction I'll make is that they'll be wrong. But when you see things like that, or disliking other fan sites for their predictions about Purdue, it gives you good ideas about which teams to strongly dislike.

Hey we could always talk about track! The NCAA indoor meet is coming up in 2 weeks. Anybody want tickets?

I just saw 24/7 has Purdue going 2-10 next year and 0-9 in conference. Thoughts on that?
Not realistic.

We’ll be more talented next year than last IMO. Biggest question marks are can the WRs step in, learn the offense and contribute?

On D, if we can’t man cover we’ll be the worst D in conference again. More talent helps but newness to a seemingly complicated scheme doesn’t. The good DB recruits and transfers will have every chance to prove that they are elite.

I’d say on paper we are probably more talented than 4-5 teams on the schedule so 2-9 is silly to me. Things will have to really go sideways for us to be that bad.

I see us 4-5 wins again unless something drastically changes scheme wise though. Hoping that’s not the case as recruiting will take a hit and I don’t feel like these coaches can scheme WITH talent, so a lack of talent will really really really hurt in the future.

This past year we saw a true freshman excel in Walters’ complicated defensive scheme. That makes me believe 1-2 of our talented new additions to the secondary will surprise people and do well. Card improved a lot down the stretch. We dumped almost our entire receiving corps and added some talented transfers. I’m unsure if the transfers enter school already or will wait until the summer before joining us.

I believe the odds makers probably have us winning two games on paper. Looking back at last year, if not for those critical fumbles, we could have easily gone 6-6. I believe the team is as good as last year’s team with more talent and less experience. I believe we’re good for an upset somewhere, 3 BIG 10 wins and 1-2 non conference wins. So 4-5 wins.

Is a 4-8 record acceptable?

oSU fired their basketball coach. And they will end up with a winning record. Obviously their expectations were higher than ours.

This begs the question. I fully expect Purdue to be better than the preseason predictions. And all 4 of the new additions will be tough. I mention this because I believe this upcoming year will basically be the template/forecast of the future. If the BIG 10 adds more teams, they will not be pushovers, but rather more like USC and Oregon. As I look to the future I see a lot of 3-5 win seasons ahead.

Is a 3-5 win season the new acceptable norm for Purdue’s future? Should I be happy about this? Will the administration be willing to accept that it is what it is? Or will we see more fans becoming impatient when their positive homerism doesn’t match reality and they start calling for Walters head expecting some new coach to work miracles?

To be honest, I don’t see Purdue ever being favored to beat any of of our new 4 additions. I know they were added to boost media coverage and ratings and revenue. I would have rather added some teams Purdue could actually beat like Kansas, k state, Iowa st. And Miami(Ohio). If the Big10 adds more teams like FSU, Miami, ND, , UNC To increase their media exposure and coverage, that’s just more losses for Purdue.

Not realistic.

We’ll be more talented next year than last IMO. Biggest question marks are can the WRs step in, learn the offense and contribute?

On D, if we can’t man cover we’ll be the worst D in conference again. More talent helps but newness to a seemingly complicated scheme doesn’t. The good DB recruits and transfers will have every chance to prove that they are elite.

I’d say on paper we are probably more talented than 4-5 teams on the schedule so 2-9 is silly to me. Things will have to really go sideways for us to be that bad.

I see us 4-5 wins again unless something drastically changes scheme wise though. Hoping that’s not the case as recruiting will take a hit and I don’t feel like these coaches can scheme WITH talent, so a lack of talent will really really really hurt in the future.
I don’t know if I can confidentially say we will be more talented we lost some major playmakers. We have a touchy schedule next year for sure. Only 4 home B1G games and 2 will likely be top 10 teams. But indianas roster got totally decimated so I think we steal a road game there and we should be favored to beat northwestern at home. Nebraska at home is winnable but not many other games are. I would say 2-7 in big ten is fair.

Is Walters just the opposite of Brohm? He’s recruiting heavily in the defensive backfield but needs to build out from both lines. He’s going to have playmakers for sure but most successful teams have good lines on both sides of the ball. Just a question that I have been thinking about when I see all the dbs that he’s after. I know he got some OL from the portal so I guess we will see. Thoughts?

When I forecast a team’s future, rather than looking at our past, I look at how much our opponents have also improved. We sure had an awesome recruiting class and great transfers. However, almost every BIG 10 team had a great recruiting year. And then i ask, is our new and improved team capable of beating the team they play. Is this team capable of beating OSU? PSU, Mich, UW, Wash, ND, Oregon, USC? I realize we don’t play all of those teams next year. I think Purdue can beat Minn, Illinois, Rutgers, northwestern, Indiana and maybe Nebraska, Iowa, Maryland, UCLA, and MSU.

I then look at the teams we will never beat and the teams we should always beat and then the maybes. I see 4-6 possible wins

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT