ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Purdue Global

Cevol03

Redshirt Freshman
Jan 2, 2010
I live in Denver and have been seeing a ton of Purdue global commercials. Any other markets seeing this too?

Middle Tennessee

Does this give you a Purdue degree or a Purdue Global degree?

Congrats for turning a once proud university into the second coming of the University of Phoenix.

Congrats for turning a once proud university into the second coming of the University of Phoenix.
If you knew anything at all about what is going on at Purdue you would not have made such a stupid statement. The university is now recognized as leading in so many ways it must make your little head spin.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I live in OKC and haven’t heard a thing on TV or radio, but glad to hear the Purdue brand is being distributed so broadly. So long as the academic standards (and reputation) remain high I am all for this!

Reactions: Inspector100
If you knew anything at all about what is going on at Purdue you would not have made such a stupid statement. The university is now recognized as leading in so many ways it must make your little head spin.

How is advertising an online university with 9,000 students that received a "Purdue" degree this spring...who enrolled as students at Kaplan university...."leading in so many ways"?

Not sure you can logically make an argument that being known as an online university strengthens my degree that has a solid reputation.

Maybe we can play University of Phoenix in football, they have a nice stadium.

I live in OKC and haven’t heard a thing on TV or radio, but glad to hear the Purdue brand is being distributed so broadly. So long as the academic standards (and reputation) remain high I am all for this!

• Purdue is being promoted as an online university.

• When you graduate from Purdue University Global (aka online), you are then a part of the Purdue Alumni Association - treated equally as an alum from Purdue University.

From the Purdue Alumni website: As a graduate of Purdue University Global, formerly Kaplan University, you are now a part of the Purdue alumni family — a global network of more than 600,000 accomplished alumni.

• 9,000 people graduated from Purdue University "Global" - they didn't even apply to Purdue, it was Kaplan University then. But they are still getting a Purdue degree and considered part of the alumni association.

• Purdue University "Global" is still basically Kaplan - it is not held to the same standards and does not have curriculum organized by Purdue faculty and staff. It basically just inherited Kaplan's staff and structure. It's basically Kaplan with Purdue slapped on the cover. Prior to Purdue making this acquisition, the state legislature passed a bill that would exempt it from open-record laws - i.e. can't find out anything that's going on.

Purdue is marketing and treating this online degree program on the same level as graduating from Purdue University, but operating it as basically a for-profit online university. You think that's maintaining a "high" academic standard and reputation?

Last edited:
Reactions: DamienSandow
How is advertising an online university with 9,000 students that received a "Purdue" degree this spring...who enrolled as students at Kaplan university...."leading in so many ways"?

Not sure you can logically make an argument that being known as an online university strengthens my degree that has a solid reputation.

Maybe we can play University of Phoenix in football, they have a nice stadium.

So you are so out of touch with the University that you think Purdue is now on par with the University of Phoenix? I can't help you.

So you are so out of touch with the University that you think Purdue is now on par with the University of Phoenix? I can't help you.
The faculty and courses taught at Purdue Global have absolutely nothing to do with Purdue. Graduates this year went through a program that had nothing to do with Purdue.

Please explain to me how anything at Purdue Global is impacted at all by Purdue teaching? It seems like you don't have any argument whatsoever.

The faculty and courses taught at Purdue Global have absolutely nothing to do with Purdue. Graduates this year went through a program that had nothing to do with Purdue.

Please explain to me how anything at Purdue Global is impacted at all by Purdue teaching? It seems like you don't have any argument whatsoever.
No. That wasn't the claim. The claim was that somehow Purdue Global makes Purdue University another University of Phoenix. Is that the claim you are supporting?

If that's your argument, then I feel pretty good about where I stand.

Just look at the Purdue Alumni Association website - they are one in the same.
Interestingly, I had looked recently for the first time at membership requirements to be a member of the Purdue Alumni Association and was pretty surprised to see the following in the bylaws -
Membership Eligibility
Section 1. Any graduate, current or former student of Purdue University, or any other individual who wishes to support Purdue University through membership in the Corporation, shall become a member upon payment of membership dues, the amount of which shall be fixed by the Board of Directors

Interestingly, I had looked recently for the first time at membership requirements to be a member of the Purdue Alumni Association and was pretty surprised to see the following in the bylaws -
Membership Eligibility
Section 1. Any graduate, current or former student of Purdue University, or any other individual who wishes to support Purdue University through membership in the Corporation, shall become a member upon payment of membership dues, the amount of which shall be fixed by the Board of Directors
The one requirement to be a member of the Purdue Alumni Association is a cleared check.

I see and undertand your concern. A couple of points:

1. I've had similar concerns with indivduals that attended "satelite" schools like Purdue Calument, Ft. Wayne, IUPUI, etc. I know those schools don't hold you to the same academic standards as WL.
  2. Let's hope that as we move forward Purdue does become more invested in the curriculum and standards at Purdue Global.
  3. It's the way of the future. I've received ads from Notre Dame, Dayton, Villanova, Xavier, and many other well established academic schools for online MBA programs. If you can get an MBA online, nothing should stop you from getting a B.S./B.A.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I see and undertand your concern. A couple of points:

1. I've had similar concerns with indivduals that attended "satelite" schools like Purdue Calument, Ft. Wayne, IUPUI, etc. I know those schools don't hold you to the same academic standards as WL.
  2. Let's hope that as we move forward Purdue does become more invested in the curriculum and standards at Purdue Global.
  3. It's the way of the future. I've received ads from Notre Dame, Dayton, Villanova, Xavier, and many other well established academic schools for online MBA programs. If you can get an MBA online, nothing should stop you from getting a B.S./B.A.

1. Yes, sure. But they aren't running national ads promoting a Purdue online university either. Kaplan had like a 25% graduation rate - it's not meant to be higher education, it's meant to make money.

2. There's no sign of this. It's basically a separate entity. At the end of the day, it's basically Kaplan University running under the Purdue name - Purdue's not even creating the marketing, it's Kaplan.

3. Those are not the same thing. Purdue University and Purdue Global are acting as one under the Purdue umbrella/name, but they are two separate entities. They aren't Purdue professors, it's not Purdue curriculum, it's not Purdue's standards, etc. It's basically Kaplan University operating under Purdue's name.

When Xavier runs an ad for an online MBA - it's Xavier University. It's Xavier professors, Xavier curriculum and Xavier standards. Their degrees say Xavier University because they have those standards - not Xavier University Online MBA. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Overall, I have no problem with Purdue creating online programs that hold the same standards as an in-person degree at WL. But that is NOT what Purdue Global is OR intends to be.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT