ADVERTISEMENT

OT: OSU URBAN MEYER - fans and morality

You've hit a really raw spot for me ... and I don't apologize for posting what I will post regarding this, whether it is basketball or not. 70% OF ALL DOMESTIC ABUSE CASES GO UNREPORTED --- does that ****ing mean they didin't happen???
Domestic violence against women has been considered a very serious public health problem. But probably few public health problems share this feature of domestic violence against women: a condition affecting about 25% of the population but only a few of those affected, between 2.5% and 15%, report that they are suffering from that condition. Again, the image of the iceberg tells us that although we can estimate how many women are victims of domestic violence, we are not reaching them because most cases are unreported.

The reasons so many cases go unreported are both personal (embarrassment, fear of retaliation, economic dependency) and societal (imbalanced power relations for men and women in society, privacy of the family, victim blaming attitudes). But we also need to know whether or not all those unreported cases are really invisible for the social environment surrounding the victims (friends, family, neighbours, social services, public health sector…). And if they are socially visible, but not reported, we need to respond accordingly.

DDD, your post is spot on.

Additionally, it's important to note that abuse isn't just physical.

What's more, abuse is absolutely not limited to men abusing women; in fact, as more and more information comes out we're finding that a significant number of women also abuse their male partners.

This is not something to be treated lightly.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Too late for him I think. His true colors have shined through I'm afraid.
Not so sure. Sometimes he gets on the wrong side of one of these an gets really stubborn. Maybe taking a position that he might not otherwise have gone to with more redirection.

Not so sure. Sometimes he gets on the wrong side of one of these an gets really stubborn. Maybe taking a position that he might not otherwise have gone to with more redirection.
I think you're probably right. He does get dug in and can't/won't back down.

I am not surprised that woefulgab has taken the stance he has on this subject. With as much that was going back and forth I took a gander at it all and wasn't shocked one bit when I read his posts. Which is very telling.

I know that I call people out for their stuff but most of the time it is just sh!tposting because I know it will get under some people's skin. But sincerely there is something mentally wrong with woefulgab. His posts are long-winded nothing burgers and he constantly touts his credentials on here, which usually means he has none of those things he says he does and now is trying to defend domestic abuse. Dude needs some serious professional help.

Reactions: Cleanface
I'm not a Meyer fan nor hater. But I'll say this on behalf of man. It's very hard being a man in situations like this. For one, I've seen men get arrested, ridiculed, scolded by the media (newspapers) by allegations like this all because the woman reported it, and ended up lying. But when that happens, newspapers don't put it in the front page that those allegations were false. It's not big news, that doesn't sell. So he loves with it his entire life.

Stay with me, I'm not backing Smith up or saying this is THAT situation, just in general. I don't let ESPNs take on this already, saying Meyer didn't apologize to the alleged victim enough. I'm not a womanizer or bigot or whatever word your gonna call me. I'm just stating facts.

I don't see what Meyer did wrong (from the very little I know about the situation). I saw that he was told about the accusation, then reported it to the higher ups. His job is done. Better yet, why wasn't the police notified? Or were they? If they were and neglected it, they should be the ones on the hot seat, not Meyer. We're all taught at a very, very young after, if you're in life/death trouble, go to the police. I've never onceonce told to go to the head football coach of a college program. Or in most common cases, the alleged perps boss? The CEO, manager, whatever.

As a LEO, I don't quite understand, and maybe that's my fault. Maybe I don't try to understand these perspectives. But in life, we ALL go through moments where you feel uncomfortable about telling on someone. They did wrong, you know it, and you have to report it to the correct person.

I'll end it with this.

I don't really care about this situation, worse things happen every day all over the country that don't get attention. If he did these alleged crimes, give him what he deserves. If she is black mailing him, defamating him, she needs to get in some serious shit. Until we have concrete proof, I think defamating someone's last name, their legacy, is one of the worse non-violent crimes you can commit.

when a Gm says his team is going to be competitive and a world series contender is he ever accused of lying? Morgan said hazel l would take our football team to new heights that hope was not able to do. Was that a lie? Should football coaches be held to the same standards as our governmental leaders?

When a coach talks about the team's future, s/he is making a "forward looking statement". Such statements, in the financial world of Wall Street and public companies, are legally protected free speech (since not all speech is legally protected and free) that, absent gross mis-characterization or deceit, cannot be held against them. Stating that Purdue will win the Rose Bowl this season isn't a lie, it is just someone's fanciful opinion.

Lying during a press conference by saying that so-and-so was an All American player when in reality s/he was only All State is one thing. Lying by saying you didn't know anything about a crime being committed is another thing.

If "truth isn't truth" then "lies aren't lies".

Go Purdue!
CoBo

Not trying to be a jerk, but it's not exactly a crime to lie to a reporter. If it were, you could clear out the vast majority of college and professional coaches. A press conference isn't a witness stand.

....Not a witness stand but if a Head Coach is not acting as the direct official representative of the University while at the B1G Football Media day and should not be expected to tell the truth then its a sad day in B1G Athletics not to mention that Coach's University. Certainly I expect more of anyone working for me in that situation...

Building a lot of straw men ITT.
This. Wol is stating that people are lying because they think and announce that their team or the guy they hired is going to be a winner. He is accusing them of only having the intent of increasing ticket sales. He is questioning their thinking, motives, and intent for actually believing and stating that a guy they went through a lot of effort to hire will win games.

He claims to know their thoughts and motives. There is no way that he knows these things. He is lying. Anyone who claims they know what a coach or AD or GM was really thinking when they made a statement is, well, a liar.

Reactions: BBG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT