ADVERTISEMENT

OT--- FB Movie Trivia---Actors who played QB position & looked believable

In my youth I recall a turn around( OB playing a Texas Ranger)-A Cliffhanger Serial starring "Slinging" Sammy Baugh called King of the Texas Rangers(1941)

In my youth I recall a turn around( OB playing a Texas Ranger)-A Cliffhanger Serial starring "Slinging" Sammy Baugh called King of the Texas Rangers(1941)
That was a serial classic produced by Republic pictures.The main villain was played by Neil Hamilton,years before his great success as Comissioner Gordon on TVs Batman.In the cast was Kermit Maynard,playing a character named Witchita.Kermit was from Vevay,Indiana and had played football at IU as had his brother Cowboy star Ken Maynard.You havent heard a thick Texas accent until you have heard Baugh speak.He was one of a kind .Mac Davis was surprisingly good as Seth Maxwell ,Qb of the fictional Dallas Bulls in North Dallas Forty.I liked Burt Reynolds in The Longest Yard,but Adam Sandler was horrible in the remake.Pee Wee Herman would have been as credible as Sandler.

Reactions: todd brewster
Charleton Heston was a great actor. A late 60's movie was called "Number One"( co-starred Bruce Dern) It was based on an aging New Orleans Saints QB that was supposedly modeled on Billy Kilmer. After sitting thru about 20 minutes, I realized, Chuck had never put on a jockstrap in his life. He was better in parts when he wore chaps or loincloths I guess? Kilmer should'.ve sued

That was a serial classic produced by Republic pictures.The main villain was played by Neil Hamilton,years before his great success as Comissioner Gordon on TVs Batman.In the cast was Kermit Maynard,playing a character named Witchita.Kermit was from Vevay,Indiana and had played football at IU as had his brother Cowboy star Ken Maynard.You havent heard a thick Texas accent until you have heard Baugh speak.He was one of a kind .Mac Davis was surprisingly good as Seth Maxwell ,Qb of the fictional Dallas Bulls in North Dallas Forty.I liked Burt Reynolds in The Longest Yard,but Adam Sandler was horrible in the remake.Pee Wee Herman would have been as credible as Sandler.
Not only Ken and Kermit but also Buck Jones and MaxTerhune(with Elmer)

Plimpton was chief writer on many Cliffhanger Serials.
That was a different guy.I think his name was George Plympton.Max Terhune was from Franklin and Buck Jones hailed from Vincennes,as did Red Skelton and Matt Welsh.

Last edited:
the-program-092214-ftr_1qzik3ct1wbot137k80bt8rc5m.jpg

Craig Sheffer as Joe Kane in The Program

Last edited:
I hate sports movies where the actor clearly is not an athlete, particularly baseball movies where the guy can't throw or swing a bat properly.

That being said, the original Bad News Bears is still a classic.

Y
I hate sports movies where the actor clearly is not an athlete, particularly baseball movies where the guy can't throw or swing a bat properly.

That being said, the original Bad News Bears is still a classic.
Yeah, and I like Gary Cooper in Pride of the Yankees, even though I can't stand the yanks, and Coop was not even left-handed like Gehrig was. (or do I have that backwards?) His farewell speech at the end is classic!

Not sure I'd say believable but Mac Davis and Nick Nolte in North Dallas Forty were pretty entertaining. On another note, the scenery from Brian's Song was pretty good - the St. Joseph College campus in northern Indiana correct? One of my older brothers went up to the Bears training camp and got autographs from Sayers, Piccolo and a few others.

Not sure I'd say believable but Mac Davis and Nick Nolte in North Dallas Forty were pretty entertaining. On another note, the scenery from Brian's Song was pretty good - the St. Joseph College campus in northern Indiana correct? One of my older brothers went up to the Bears training camp and got autographs from Sayers, Piccolo and a few others.
Brians song was partially filmed at St Josephs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT