ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ace Bailey to Rutgers!

My take is Rutgers can tell players they play against the best college teams and players in the nation. and he gets an opportunity to showcase his talents and prove he belongs.

I said "OPPORTUNITY". nothing is ever guaranteed.

Lost in the talk about Bailey is 2023 4-star Gavin Griffiths (rivals update soon to 5-star) is signed to Rutgers. Also, Rivals 4-star Dellquan Warren (rated 91st) is the other commit with Bailey for the 2024 class. If Rutgers gets 5-star Dylan Harper (Ron Harper Jr's little brother), that's icing on the cake. Most pundits think Harper is Duke bound because of the NIL, but Rutgers can deliver on the NIL as they did on Bailey. Besides, Harper is at most of the Rutgers home games with his family, and Ron Jr. is no longer on the team.

Some big-time donors have stepped up to deliver on the NIL for Rutgers. It's the reason Caleb McConnell and Cliff Oromuyi are back.

I just don't see Purdue as ever having big time NIL donors. Engineers don't usually just give away $10 million just to win a ball game.

And the guy is from Georgia too. Isn’t even a local kid. I swear if Rutgers makes a FF before us, I’m gonna be pissed.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
And the guy is from Georgia too. Isn’t even a local kid. I swear if Rutgers makes a FF before us, I’m gonna be pissed.
In the past, Rutgers wasn't into being big-time. It explains why Rutgers panicked to get into the Atlantic 10, then the Big East. It wasn't until Rutgers joined the B1G (and fully invested in the network) did the local support started to pick up. People like success, and politicians lead the pack. After years of underfunding Rutgers, the state government has stepped up. The school has received additional money to be funneled to academics. The state has set aside $100 million to upgrade the RAC (Jersey Mike's Arena). I believe Jersey Mike's is contributing $25 million to the project. The seating capacity will go from 8K to around 11K, along with the bells and whistles. The original RAC sat close to 10K when it first opened. The upgrades will begin next year. Rutgers may play games in Newark at the Prudential Center alongside Seton Hall or go to the arena in Trenton to share with the NJ Devils minor league team. Also, Rutgers will break ground on a new $200 million football center and indoor facility. Suddenly private citizens and local corporations are interested in being associated with Rutgers. Some well-connected people and businesses in NJ & NY are writing big checks.

In the past, Rutgers wasn't into being big-time. It explains why Rutgers panicked to get into the Atlantic 10, then the Big East. It wasn't until Rutgers joined the B1G (and fully invested in the network) did the local support started to pick up. People like success, and politicians lead the pack. After years of underfunding Rutgers, the state government has stepped up. The school has received additional money to be funneled to academics. The state has set aside $100 million to upgrade the RAC (Jersey Mike's Arena). I believe Jersey Mike's is contributing $25 million to the project. The seating capacity will go from 8K to around 11K, along with the bells and whistles. The original RAC sat close to 10K when it first opened. The upgrades will begin next year. Rutgers may play games in Newark at the Prudential Center alongside Seton Hall or go to the arena in Trenton to share with the NJ Devils minor league team. Also, Rutgers will break ground on a new $200 million football center and indoor facility. Suddenly private citizens and local corporations are interested in being associated with Rutgers. Some well-connected people and businesses in NJ & NY are writing big checks.
They certainly have momentum within their basketball program, don’t really see their football program being much of a threat anytime soon though.

Great. 🙄 I already hate them and the fawning over them (it reminds me of the early days of Izzo at MSU - it feld like everyone here loved Izzo except me back then 😄).

• Haha
Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Great. 🙄 I already hate them and the fawning over them (it reminds me of the early days of Izzo at MSU - it feld like everyone here loved Izzo except me back then 😄).
I hate Rutgers as well. Some historically trash east coast program that’s come out of nowhere and has been absolutely owning us these last 3 or 4 years.

by bells and whistles do you mean some adequate lighting?

by bells and whistles do you mean some adequate lighting?
The lighting is similar to the NY Knicks, Brooklyn Nets, and Seton Hall. The focus should be on the court. That might be something unique to NJ & NY.

The bells and whistles start with a new main entrance from the parking area side, more restrooms, concession stands, and adding 2500 to 3000 seats to bring capacity to 10,500/11,000. They are reclaiming wasted space as the original RAC sat about 10K when it first opened.
Below are pictures leaked, but my understanding is there are a few changes from the photos to the actual release of the final product.

a 4 star kid in the previous year's class was from the same H.S. too
We signed a 3-star (not 4-star) PG, Jamichael Davis, for 2023 who has played hoops with Ace Bailey since they were little kids and are still on the same high school and/or AAU team. Absolutely helped with Ace.

There's a price to pay for that though

The more success they have, both on the court and on the recruiting trail, the more their assistants will become targets for other programs, especially Rutgers associate head coach Brandin Knight, who recruited Ace Bailey and has been with Pikiell since 2016. I can't see him being there too much longer unless he has no desire to be a head coach

They certainly have momentum within their basketball program, don’t really see their football program being much of a threat anytime soon though.
I respect what Purdue has accomplished in both revenue sports… but this comment blissfully ignores that Purdue has never beaten Rutgers at football…. Even Chris Ash…

• Haha
Reactions: Poprudy
I respect what Purdue has accomplished in both revenue sports… but this comment blissfully ignores that Purdue has never beaten Rutgers at football…. Even Chris Ash…
Your comment is true, but very limited 0-2. Especially after the rebuild DH put us in....you can do better!

There's a price to pay for that though

The more success they have, both on the court and on the recruiting trail, the more their assistants will become targets for other programs, especially Rutgers associate head coach Brandin Knight, who recruited Ace Bailey and has been with Pikiell since 2016. I can't see him being there too much longer unless he has no desire to be a head coach
Knights has interviewed for an HC position each of the last two seasons. The opportunities were northeast jobs. I get the idea he doesn't want to leave the northeast as other options in the south and west have presented themselves, but he passed. Rutgers turned around and re-upped his contract to $700K for the next three years. Besides being the guy who got Ace Bailey, here are the other kids he convinced to come to Rutgers:

4-star recruit Montez Mathis (now at St. John's)
4-star recruit Cliff Omoruyi
3-star freshman guard Derek Simpson

Although he didn't close Ron Harper Jr., he did bring RHJ to Pikiell's attention.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT