ADVERTISEMENT

One of the best podcasts I've heard re: PU hoops

Purdue can become a blueblood program
being in a Power 5 conference, great recruiting territory,
near Chicago, etc. Times change, and IU certainly is not what they
used to be. Duke certainly became a blueblood once Coack K got rolling.
Michigan State was nothing until Izzo took over. Why not Purdue?
There really is no excuse. Purdue is fully capable of becoming a blueblood.

I hope there are many more Smith, Jones, Colvin, Harris, Cox, Catchings type
players to come because that's what Purdue needs to become a blueblood.
Guys that can dribble, pass, shoot, create their own shot, run, jump,
athletic. A cold shooting night from 3 would mean nothing to these guys.
The blueblood thing is like some kind of exclusive club at this point. After all their championships, I still don’t hear UConn mentioned as a blueblood very often. That said, Painter has already established Purdue as the top program in the Big Ten and has the program on the rise. The one thing that Purdue needs to take the next step in national perception is NCAA Tournament success to match its regular season success. A Final Four would be a start and a National Championship would be better, but it really takes multiple deep runs to gain that elite status. That’s not going to happen overnight, but a good foundation is there starting with an excellent coach.

Michigan State was nothing until Izzo took over? Judd Heathcote won a national championship; is top ten all-time in big ten wins; is in the college basketball hall of fame; and 80% of us on this forum watched him.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
The blueblood thing is like some kind of exclusive club at this point. After all their championships, I still don’t hear UConn mentioned as a blueblood very often. That said, Painter has already established Purdue as the top program in the Big Ten and has the program on the rise. The one thing that Purdue needs to take the next step in national perception is NCAA Tournament success to match its regular season success. A Final Four would be a start and a National Championship would be better, but it really takes multiple deep runs to gain that elite status. That’s not going to happen overnight, but a good foundation is there starting with an excellent coach.
Gonzaga could be added to a short list with UConn. Very highly regarded and regularly has teams that can win it all, but not thought of as a blue blood. It has become a weird term with IU still considered a blue blood. Louiseville earned a slew of FFs and won NCs under Denny Crum and Rick Pitino, and like UConn, they were never considered to be a blue blood.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
Michigan State was nothing until Izzo took over? Judd Heathcote won a national championship; is top ten all-time in big ten wins; is in the college basketball hall of fame; and 80% of us on this forum watched him.
Magic Johnson won a NC in 1979.
MSU has 2 Sweet 16s total in the 1980's and 1990's combined
before Izzo arrived in 1996......even Purdue did better than that.

Izzo has 8 FFs and a NC. Now, that is something.

Last edited:
True, just make sure future teams are loaded with guards and wings that can
dribble, pass, shot, create their own shot, run, jump, and are athletic enough.

Actually it very easily could depending on what a cold shooting night from 3 is. If a team is already suspect in shooting and then has a cold shooting night it won't matter if they can do all you say if they can't make a basket. Opponents just really clog the lane and those traits still do not create enough scoring. Teams never look so good as when they shoot well, and so bad when they don't and so shooting for every team is important. Now, if we qualify that shooting to behind the arc as you stated, then some teams would be hurt more than others...certainly those teams without an inside presence. This team, the Purdue team has won not shooting many behind the arc as well as not shooting well when they did. Teams that are athletic and cannot shoot do not win and teams that are skilled and not very athletic do not win either and so it takes both. An outside game without and inside game does not win, nor vice versa. Balance provided by versatility is the key. Every player has a player defending him that is either more skilled or more athletic with those more rare occurrences in meaningful games where the opponent has both or none.

Lance (can add Domask) should have opened the understanding of many that underestimate guards at smaller schools that are seniors and not recruited heavy, but develop over time into mature bodies and understanding. Just simple math and understanding the normal curve of just how many guards of similar size are out there would help with the understanding. Purdue has seen those players previously. The two All Big players Braden and Zach wouldn't fit your player desires either for being recruited. Very, very few in this forum or elsewhere knew much about ether player before landing a scholly at Purdue.

Right now I have hope that the new class is solid (with Burgess and Benter as well), but you already imply they are the key because you believe, what you feel, in that they are most similar to most other teams which by the way are behind this Purdue team, but exhibit your view of the ideal skills and athleticism required. I hope the players you mention win as many games as this senior class for Purdue since that would be great to "reload" that deadly. I doubt Matt is ready to proclaim the class coming in will be better than the class leaving. I look forward to seeing the pieces go together, but not in believing that the class is destined to provide more wins than the Purdue team today.

And when you say who is better, there is no answer just “I’d give you a list and you wouldn’t like it”…still no list
Wrong.
Me and some others have provided realistic potential replacement lists (and is wasn't Self, Calapari, and Pitino on the list) and the apologists lose their mind with "HE WOULD NEVER COME TO PURDUE!!!" types of responses.

Yep. It's that easy. Just decide you want to do it and you're done. Good thing we have these dedicated fans convincing us we just need to decide to win a couple national championships to elevate us. I'm really surprised only a handful of other schools have ever decided to do this.

no need to be so passive aggressive all the time lol. Lighten up, man!
I'm sitting here talking to insurance and trying to decide where to stay on a trip while checking here once in a while and admit...THAT did make me chuckle in what TC4three wrote and not that it was for any particular person, but in general in a forum. There seems to be quite a few absolutes that have no qualifying particulars...which sometimes is due to the shortness of text that happens in a forum. STill, it hit a funny bone as a general statement... ;)

Wrong.
Me and some others have provided realistic potential replacement lists (and is wasn't Self, Calapari, and Pitino on the list) and the apologists lose their mind with "HE WOULD NEVER COME TO PURDUE!!!" types of responses.
More often the response is, "He's not as good as Painter." Then you lose your mind and say, "Fire him anyway and let's find out."

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Wrong.
I’ve never have seen it. Lemme go search for the list then

Reactions: bonefish1
Magic Johnson won a NC in 1979.
MSU has 2 Sweet 16s total in the 1980's and 1990's combined
before Izzo arrived in 1996......even Purdue did better than that.

Izzo has 8 FFs and a NC. Now, that is something.
How much time did you spend watching Big Ten basketball in the 70's and 80's?
Or are you making judgements just based on reading the record books?

How much time did you spend watching Big Ten basketball in the 70's and 80's?
Or are you making judgements just based on reading the record books?
I put my focus on the postseason. I know it was much harder to make
March Madness before 1985 since there were less teams. So if you want
to look at it that way, Izzo would have only 5 FFs and 1 NC. Still more
impressive that hometown Magic Johnson with 1 NC. Outside the Big Ten,
MSU did basically nothing from 1980 - 1998 in March Madness.

I would say Izzo has made MSU something more than it was before he took over where it matters most, the postseason. I look forward to Purdue being like this or better in the future. We see it differently, and that's fine.

I would say Izzo has made MSU something more than it was before he took over where it matters most, the postseason. I look forward to Purdue being like this or better in the future. We see it differently, and that's fine.
Huh? Izzo has 8 F4s from 1999 on

I agree with your last paragraph.

Yes. How about removing Oops from your original post.
Then, I will remove my entire response including Oops and
type something appropriate in its place? Does that work?
What? Hummel, Johnson, and Calasan only going 3-12 from the 3-point range was definitely an "oops", particularly considering our lack of interior presence to counteract Thabeet.

My point all along is that having a dominant center pays huge dividends in the tournament. Here's a clip from the AP after the game:

Connecticut hardly needed Hasheem Thabeet as it romped through the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament.

That all changed against a gritty Purdue team. The Boilermakers seemed to have an answer for everything the Huskies threw at them -- except for the 7-foot-3 Thabeet.

Thabeet, the Big East co-player of the year, scored 15 points, had 15 rebounds and blocked four shots as top-seeded Connecticut overcame a sluggish first half to defeat Purdue 72-60 in the NCAA West Regional semifinals on Thursday.

"Hasheem just took the game over," UConn coach Jim Calhoun said. "Purdue, quite frankly, ran into one of the best players in America in Hasheem Thabeet. Beyond that, the game might have been different if we had just, quote, a regular center."

He COULD tell you.....but then.....

c4d20a43-d1dd-40a3-b265-b69f480672e2_text.gif

What? Hummel, Johnson, and Calasan only going 3-12 from the 3-point range was definitely an "oops", particularly considering our lack of interior presence to counteract Thabeet.

My point all along is that having a dominant center pays huge dividends in the tournament. Here's a clip from the AP after the game:

Connecticut hardly needed Hasheem Thabeet as it romped through the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament.

That all changed against a gritty Purdue team. The Boilermakers seemed to have an answer for everything the Huskies threw at them -- except for the 7-foot-3 Thabeet.

Thabeet, the Big East co-player of the year, scored 15 points, had 15 rebounds and blocked four shots as top-seeded Connecticut overcame a sluggish first half to defeat Purdue 72-60 in the NCAA West Regional semifinals on Thursday.

"Hasheem just took the game over," UConn coach Jim Calhoun said. "Purdue, quite frankly, ran into one of the best players in America in Hasheem Thabeet. Beyond that, the game might have been different if we had just, quote, a regular center."
I think you found some good information from 2009. I still love the
Baby Boilers and believe we make at least 1 FF if Hummel were healthy in
either 2010 or 2011. And if Lewis Jackson had played the entire 2010 season.

Hope Edey and Purdue can duplicate what Connecticut did in 2009 and
make the FF. Would be pretty cool!

Nice job on the search. I believe this was compiled about a year ago (correct me if I'm wrong). To be honest, I haven't followed some on that list other than Shaka.
Who, for those that have been around for a while, know I've liked for a long time. Obviously, Painter getting to a FF or NC changes all this. It's the nature of fandom and 'what have you done for me lately' world of success/failure in professional athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT