ADVERTISEMENT

On to Penn State

I recall Watkins trash talking us when Carr was there. And Stevens. I haven't watched them this season. I expect some more thuggery this time too. We need to shut them up early.

They definitely had some attitude in our last few outings. Moore threw Haas down in NYC at the tournament (somehow resulting in a double T), but spurred Purdue's close out run.

I haven't watched a lot of Penn State this year, but that's one thing I didn't care for about Chambers...he didn't seem to care when his guys got dirty.

Reactions: Schnelk
I thought I read somewhere that there has only been one at large in the history of the NCAAs that has been less than 4 games over 500. If true, 18 wins gets us out of danger zone (pre-BTT)

College basketball has been weird lately. When you're looking at the Big Ten...a 14 team conference...that could legit get 11 teams in....perhaps even 12.

That's results in obviously a conference schedule where someone has to lose.

Then you have a conference like the ACC....a 15 team conference...that has projected 4 tournament teams.

If the ACC was in a normal year where 7-8 teams were tournament worthy, you wouldn't see as many from the Big Ten.

When there's less competition for slots, they gotta go to someone....

I think there's some sense of "relief" that we'll now be in the tournament. Well, we still need 18 wins most likely, and unless we win another on the road, that means winning out at home.

We certainly are capable of it - but Penn State is also the toughest team left on our home schedule. After a couple good wins, we certainly are not in a position to get cocky.

Some areas to point out:

1. We're basically opposites in terms of offense/defense. Purdue is at the top in scoring defense, Penn State is at the top in scoring offense. And both teams are in similar spots in the opposite stat respectively.

2. They don't shoot the 3 particularly well and don't defend it particularly well. However, Jones is a strong shooter from the perimeter so have to keep him in check.

3. Purdue has a slight edge in rebounding - although the differences in offensive shooting could play a role in that.

4. Penn State leads the Big Ten in steals (we're 3rd, but it's a noticeable drop off from Penn State to everyone else). This is notable because Penn State doesn't necessarily hold opponents to bad shooting, but obviously relies a lot on pressure.

5. Purdue and Penn State are both at the top of turnover margin.

Any time you're a not great offense going against a pretty great scoring offense, finding ways to close that potential gap is key.

Rebounding hard will be #1 - Penn State is good at defensive boards and taking away second chances, Purdue is good with offensive boards.

Penn State's defense relies on taking the ball away. They don't necessarily guard the perimeter that well, which is good for Purdue. Purdue's gotta take care of the basketball and not give Penn State extra possessions.

Overall, this is a team that on paper Purdue can play well against. However, it relies on keeping a small forward in check - something we've been hit and miss on. And while Penn State has 2 clear scoring leaders, it's a pretty balanced team after that -- you can't let a guy like Watkins eat you for dinner inside.

Penn State is on a roll and they aren't scared of coming into Mackey. Purdue's done a great job of really commanding the tone and pace of games lately. Hopefully Penn State doesn't have an unusually "on" night shooting wise.
Whew, awesome analysis. Thank you~

Who were just told not to boo opposing players lol

Oh, JESUS H CHRIST! WTF is the world coming to? We don't want to make the opposing team feel bad about themselves by booing them or telling them they suck? Why don't we just go ahead and cheer for them while we at it.
I'd like to know who wrote this. Whoever they are, THEY SUCK!

Reactions: DAG10
The correction said the purpose is not to eliminate booing, but to stop the growing crowd that yells ‘sucks’ after each opposing player introduction.

Why?
Who cares! This is big time college basketball, on a college campus, played by college students, in front of a bunch of other college students.
Telling the other team they suck is a right of passage.

Should they not try to distract them during free throws either?

Announcer: "...number 11, Lamar Stevens"
Paint Crew: "Doesn't NOT suck!"

Guidelines like this encourage creativity. Yelling "sucks" after players are announced is just dull and boring. I encourage the Paint Crew to come up with something original.

Reactions: DAG10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT