ADVERTISEMENT

Oh man....

Great Opportunity. Great Experience for a young Purdue team if they could beat Cincy and play against the best team in the country that's undefeated.

everyone remember we have to beat cincy before we get Kentucky. will not be an easy win

Purdue really got a bad draw here. In addition to being a game away from playing the best team in 30 years, it'll be a home game for them.

Anybody trying to spin this as a positive is just trying to make themselves feel better.

9 is one of my favorite numbers due to spinning The White Album....Number 9, number 9, ...It is what it is.

this draw is a screw job for Purdue. We would have been better off with a 10 or 11 seed. F___k the NCAA and their affinity for the favored teams!

Close to a home game for Cincy as well. Tough draw, let's go to work.

Protect the streak! 14-0 in Rd of 64 since '94.

Any competitor on planet would love to have a crack at #1. Especially in the tourney. If you are going to get beat, might as well have a shot at going down in history as one of the greatest upsets of one of the greatest college basketball teams of all time. If I were on the team, I'd say, "BRING IT ON!!!"
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I would hope the team would say "bring it on" and not run and hide.

As fans, we can complain like crazy how our current situation is much worse than being a 10 or 11 seed.

If you're happy with the possibility of playing Kentucky in the 2nd round, then were you secretly hoping we would get to play them in the 1st round?

Advancing in the tournament matters. It is a recruiting selling point and is much more fun for fans. I'd much rather have a realistic chance at getting to the S16 than a 1 in a million shot at beating UK.

The tam that beats Kentucky will be more remembered and talked about than the tourney winner. No one thought the usa could beat Russia in hockey or Villanova taking down Georgetown, so why not Purdue if they can get by Cincy.

If we get by Cincy (gotta always get that out of the way)....

Then you guys must like playing the lottery. Obviously beating UK would be a huge payoff, however, it's extremely unlikely to happen. One time upsets aren't the way to build a program. Or build wealth to continue the analogy.

I think Purdue can play with all 4 #2 seeds. It would be an upset as well, but the chances aren't miniscule. That's why I'm disappointed - because in almost every other possible scenario, I could harbor hopes of making the S16.

UK would beat Purdue by 30. I would cheer for Purdue, but they have no chance. IU. didn't deserve to be in much less a 10 seed.

I just saw the draw and am so freaking excited! Seriously. I know UK is a juggernaut, but I'd much rather play them in the second round than a team like Notre Dame, who I feel is actually not too far below UK's level but who comes with basically none of the glory that would come from beating UK.

Yes, we have to beat a tough Cincinnati team first.

Yes, UK is a beast.

But I love that it's a no-pressure/historically-high reward kind of game. I was telling my son the other day that if Purdue could somehow face Kentucky that every fan in the country not from Lexington or its blue tendrils would be rooting like crazy for the Boilermakers.

Let's make it happen. It could be incredible.

I think the committee wants this match up because Purdue has some size to somewhat match up with Kentucky. No small team can beat them unless they hit a ridicously high amount of threes at a high percentage rate.

Yes, Kentucky is awesome. Yes, they're astonishingly talented.

But…

They beat LSU by two. Two.

They beat Florida, a team with a losing record, by seven.

They beat Georgia, a 10-seed, by eight.

Yes, they're awesome, but they're not invulnerable. If Purdue catches them on an off-day, and if Purdue plays its best game…

History, folks. History.

But yeah, we need to beat Cincinnati first.
smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by alumnfan:
we are a 9. You don't get great draws as a 9. I love the opportunity.
This is exactly right. You wanted a better draw? Should have beat N Florida, Vandy and Gardner-Webb. No one should be complaining about our draw (to those who aren't complaining but wish we had a better path, I get it).

That said, this is a win as this season we were picked by many experts in the media and on this site (myself included) to go .500 at best and not make the NCAA's. Great job by the Boilers to get in the tournament. Now let's go make some history!

first of all, glad we are in after 2 yrs. off. Got to worry about Cincy first, wasn't but a couple days ago , some here thought we were going to play the PokeEyes, so one game at a time boys.

download

Considering a couple weeks ago we were a "last 4 in team", and now a 9 seed, I'm not complaining. If we beat Cincy )no gimme) and play KY, so be it. Let's see how we stack up. We stacked up OK with UW yesterday until they got hot as hell in the 2nd half..

I've been hoping and begging for this exact scenerio for weeks. I love it, an oppurtunity to shock the world. Lets face it in December we would have been ecstatic looking at this. This was a huge season for pu basketball. Now lets get those cheats if we can beat cincy!!! I hear they really struggle on offense at times. Good deal, and for the guy who said 1 in a million yeah freaking right.....

UK fan here. While it's true that UK will have about 90% of the fans there, what you might not know is that at least 90% of those UK fans will be rooting for Purdue.

UK fans pretty much universally hate Cincinnati, because UC fans are astonishingly annoying. They seem to believe that their program is on the same level as U of L, and therefore a rival which should warrant a home and home and that the fact that there is no series with them is because UK is afraid of their program.

Their vile hate and jealousy make them easy to dislike. I hope that Purdue stomps a hole in UC.

Have there been more improbable upsets in the history of sports? Answer the question in your own mind.

I believe the answer is... Undoubtedly yes.

It can be done. We'll need our best game of the year plus more than a pinch of bad luck sprinkled on the Wildcats. But it can be done.

Boiler Up! Embrace the opportunity! And yes, beat Cincy first!

ShoesSwayed: I haven't seen a lot of Cincy this year, but just looking over their schedule, line-up, and stats, it's hard for me to see this game being a blow-out either way. My initial reaction is that these two teams mirror each other pretty well.

Neither are particularly flashy offensively. Both play rugged defense and hold opponents to low percentages. Both seem to run their offense through a dominant big man in the paint (Octabius Ellis for Cincinnati, AJ Hammons for Purdue). Neither team has been especially great from 3.

My guess is this will be 40 minutes of old-fashioned knock-down drag-out. First team to 60 might win. Should be a great game, though it probably won't be a work of art.

It's not like Kentucky needs any more advantages, but I look for Purdue and Cincy to beat each other up on Thursday.

This post was edited on 3/16 3:40 PM by rgarlitz

Originally posted by rgarlitz:
ShoesSwayed: I haven't seen a lot of Cincy this year, but just looking over their schedule, line-up, and stats, it's hard for me to see this game being a blow-out either way. My initial reaction is that these two teams mirror each other pretty well.

Neither are particularly flashy offensively. Both play rugged defense and hold opponents to low percentages. Both seem to run their offense through a dominant big man in the paint (Octabius Ellis for Cincinnati, AJ Hammons for Purdue). Neither team has been especially great from 3.

My guess is this will be 40 minutes of old-fashioned knock-down drag-out. First team to 60 might win. Should be a great game, though it probably won't be a work of art.

It's not like Kentucky needs any more advantages, but I look for Purdue and Cincy to beat each other up on Thursday.

This post was edited on 3/16 3:40 PM by rgarlitz
I have to admit that I've only seen bits and pieces of any Purdue game this year, as my only rooting interest would be to see the Boilermakers beat IU. But IU losing is so much more widespread now days that I get my fill of it earlier and more often than I once did.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

As for UC, they play like a less talented, less disciplined U of L. They gold, they grab, they push, they pull and they generally make the game ugly and try to out athlete teams with pressure and on the glass.

As a KY fan, I was not happy to see Purdue in the 8/9 game matchup against us. I've watched Purdue play several times this year and love their team. They were a sleeper for me going into the tournament.

Good luck with Cincinnati!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT